Grid Down Preps

Discussion in 'Off grid power' started by Caribou, Jul 23, 2018.

Help Support Homesteading Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Sep 11, 2019 #61

Meerkat

Meerkat

Meerkat

Awesome Friend Neighbor HCL Supporter

I want to master growing potatoes,both Irish and sweets. And beans that produce the most.
    At our age I'm not too worried about much preps stored up fro some scalawags or neighbors.

2. Sep 11, 2019 #62

LadyLocust

LadyLocust

LadyLocust

Awesome Friend Neighbor

At our mountain house, we had frequent power outages. After loosing power on Christmas day, we had it wired so that we flipped off the main and plugged in the generator. The only things we couldn't run were the oven and the dryer. Also had 500 g. propane tank for hot water heater and had a splitter in the line so that whenever I needed a new stove, I could get that propane. We had wood for heat - forested area. I also cooked on the wood stove at times. Riverfront property so there was water there and from the well. Critters abound as well as garden area and mature fruit trees. (This place is currently for sale.) We are now close to town in a place that has everything electric. Scares me nearly to death, but it's not forever - just for now. We are planning our forever place and have experience in what we would like and don't like in the way of sustainability. (We don't want batteries.)

Amish Heart, Meerkat and Bacpacker like this.
  3. Sep 11, 2019 #63

Meerkat

Meerkat

Meerkat

LadtL, I would like a bucket well with a really easy pulley assembly on it. We have a well but it is pipe.

LadyLocust, Bacpacker and Amish Heart like this.
  4. Sep 11, 2019 #64

Caribou

Caribou

Caribou

Time traveler Neighbor HCL Supporter

I have lead/acid batteries. In about 5 years I'll replace them with newer 20 year technology batteries. That will take me past my life expectancy.

LadyLocust and Bacpacker like this.
  5. Sep 12, 2019 at 5:11 PM #65

LadyLocust

LadyLocust

LadyLocust

Awesome Friend Neighbor

So not sure if this should go here or a separate thread, but. . . do any of you have experience with hydro or even wind energy but direct currant. By that I mean something with a regulator on the line directly to the "appliance." I would be pretty much fine with alternate methods for most things, but we have a freezer. If it requires 1500 w. and there was live water that could spin a wheel? If so do they have the capability to cease when the freezer motor isn't running? Are there even such instruments, or do I need to invent one?

Amish Heart and Bacpacker like this.
  6. Sep 12, 2019 at 6:48 PM #66

Bacpacker

Bacpacker

Bacpacker

I'll wait for others to jump in here cause I might learn something.

LadyLocust likes this.
  7. Sep 12, 2019 at 7:01 PM #67

viking

viking

viking

I know a lot of things, but master very few Neighbor HCL Supporter

I'll let you know how I'm doing, one month from now I'll be 77, I'm going out in the woods in a few days and cut firewood with my crosscut saw. I built our home to be energy efficient and only need around a cord of wood to heat it for the winter, unless we get minus temps that's all we generally need.

LadyLocust, Terri9630 and Bacpacker like this.
  8. Sep 12, 2019 at 7:05 PM #68

Amish Heart

Amish Heart

Amish Heart

My cousin takes regular lamps and cuts the plug off, changes the light bulb to an LED bulb (direct current). Strips the wire a bit where he cut the plug and connects it to a car battery. Does the same for house fans. Battery is solar charged when it runs out. Lasts a good week or so. Then it's charged.