Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup, a Prepper Meal?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup is one of my favorite foods, but it is something I haven't had in a while. Going low carb, I avoid meals with bread. But in a shtf scenario, when everything will be different, it would be a comfort food for me.

Basic needs to prep for this, as anyone who is also a fan knows: bread (or the ingredients to make bread), cheese, butter or some fat for grilling, tomato soup (canned or the ingredients to make it from scratch), and milk. I don't think this is a meal that can be made low carb or keto.

I love it made with cheap bread and soup from a can, but adjusting the basics and finding other recipes to make it, can be even better.

I have seen articles about how to change up a grilled cheese sandwich. I found this article as I searched this morning. 50 Grilled Cheese

This recipe is one I would love from the article: 21. Blue Cheese and Onion: Sandwich 2 slices marble rye bread with 1 slice each muenster and soft blue cheese, some caramelized onions and another slice of muenster. Cook, flipping once, until golden. My current limitation is that I have no rye in storage, but I know where I can get some this week. It could be made without the rye bread, but variety is important, IMHO.

Cheese: How to store cheese for extended time? Freezing sometimes changes the texture of cheese. I do have some dehydrated and powdered cheeses, but I have never tried to make a sandwich with it after reconstituting it. The cheap and fake American cheese slices last a long time. It is not liked by all, but can be a good prep for a variety of purposes. I used to make grilled cheese with Velveeta. I love those sandwiches. Velveeta is relatively shelf stable as well and melts in soups and other foods. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for storing a variety of cheese long term? I have thrown away older and unopened packages because of mold. (Mold=migraines!)

Tomato soup: I have never once made tomato soup from scratch. I have eaten it a few times. I do have some tomato juice that could be used in a variety of ways, including tomato soup. Does anyone have a good homemade tomato soup recipe?

Last edited:
Grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup is one of my favorite foods, but it is something I haven't had in a while. Going low carb, I avoid meals with bread. But in a shtf scenario, when everything will be different, it would be a comfort food for me.

Basic needs to prep for this, as anyone who is also a fan knows: bread (or the ingredients to make bread), cheese, butter or some fat for grilling, cheese, tomato soup (canned or the ingredients to make it from scratch), and milk. I don't think this is a meal that can be made low carb or keto.

I love it made with cheap bread and soup from a can, but adjusting the basics and finding other recipes to make it, can be even better.

I have seen articles about how to change up a grilled cheese sandwich. I found this article as I searched this morning. 50 Grilled Cheese

This recipe is one I would love from the article: 21. Blue Cheese and Onion: Sandwich 2 slices marble rye bread with 1 slice each muenster and soft blue cheese, some caramelized onions and another slice of muenster. Cook, flipping once, until golden. My current limitation is that I have no rye in storage, but I know where I can get some this week. It could be made without the rye bread, but variety is important, IMHO.

Cheese: How to store cheese for extended time? Freezing sometimes changes the texture of cheese. I do have some dehydrated and powdered cheeses, but I have never tried to make a sandwich with it after reconstituting it. The cheap and fake American cheese slices last a long time. It is not liked by all, but can be a good prep for a variety of purposes. I used to make grilled cheese with Velveeta. I love those sandwiches. Velveeta is relatively shelf stable as well and melts in soups and other foods. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for storing a variety of cheese long term? I have thrown away older and unopened packages because of mold. (Mold=migraines!)

Tomato soup: I have never once made tomato soup from scratch. I have eaten it a few times. I do have some tomato juice that could be used in a variety of ways, including tomato soup. Does anyone have a good homemade tomato soup recipe?

One time, [early 80's] I was down and out, struggling to survive
no excuses. it was my fault i was where i was
I went into a diner and ordered a cup of coffee and a bowl of hot water
the coffee at the time was $..50 the hot water was free
I squirted half a container of ketchup into the water. and made tomato soup.
LOL...Waitress was impressed and the owner was pissed...
my belly was full and i did not care either way

One time, [early 80's] I was down and out, struggling to survive
no excuses. it was my fault i was where i was
I went into a diner and ordered a cup of coffee and a bowl of hot water
the coffee at the time was $..50 the hot water was free
I squirted half a container of ketchup into the water. and made tomato soup.
LOL...Waitress was impressed and the owner was pissed...
my belly was full and i did not care either way
I have heard similar stories before. Got ketchup in your preps? I was never much of a ketchup fan growing up, and ketchup still gets thrown out due to age from my fridge. I know this is odd in America. Mustard was always my go to condiment. I do eat food with tomatoes and tomato products, but not a lot.
I would imagine that hot water and tomato powder would be a base for tomato soup as well. Add some cream, seasonings (garlic and onion powder, salt and pepper), and you could make it better. Who will have cream in a SHTF scenario? Few! Boxed milk and cream could also be used, but again, not many will have them.

Since most cheese now is made from oils I can dowithout it. It tate funny ,not like it use to.
Soup is mostly homemade or salt filled Campbells. Maybe its the salt that makes you feel better with cold or flu in that chicken noodle?
Try to grow more healthy plants instead of buying from stores. Not even close to it yet of course.
We do stock sugar,cocoa and flour and can lots of beans ,carrots.

Since most cheese now is made from oils I can dowithout it. It tate funny ,not like it use to.
Soup is mostly homemade or salt filled Campbells. Maybe its the salt that makes you feel better with cold or flu in that chicken noodle?
Try to grow more healthy plants instead of buying from stores. Not even close to it yet of course.
We do stock sugar,cocoa and flour and can lots of beans ,carrots.
Oh, yes, most soups from a can are salt laden. That is another reason it would be good to make our own soups, and then we can adjust the seasonings to suit our taste and dietary needs. I make a lot of soup from scratch.

I was thinking of trying to do the pricing for pizza and how often I could have pizza for $100. Pizza is another thing that I love, but do not eat so much anymore. There is a low carb crust recipe. I need to try it again.

Weedy: Mother used to make baby pizza using English muffins. Split the English muffin; spread tomato sauce or paste; put a slice of cheese on it. She would put them on a cookie sheet and bake them in the oven. We were kids. We loved them. My Mom was pretty frugal. I have not priced the ingredients, but it might fit the budget.

I love Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup. Any bread. Any cheese. Campbell will be my go-to, but I am not picky.

Weedy: Mother used to make baby pizza using English muffins. Split the English muffin; spread tomato sauce or paste; put a slice of cheese on it. She would put them on a cookie sheet and bake them in the oven. We were kids. We loved them. My Mom was pretty frugal. I have not priced the ingredients, but it might fit the budget.

I love Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup. Any bread. Any cheese. Campbell will be my go-to, but I am not picky.
Yum!
I have seen English muffins used for mini pizza's, but I have seen other options for pizza alternatives as well. I would think you could do a grilled cheese pizza style. Mozzarella cheese grilled cheese? If you make your own tomato soup, you could add seasonings to make it more pizza sauce spices flavored and dip your sandwich. The possibilities are limited by our imaginations and available ingredients.

Latest posts

Back