Groceries.... kind of sad...

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I blame the lack of US production on the CITY Environmentalists and NIMBY (Not in my back yard), they equate anything that has dirt in it as dirty, they don't know where stuff comes from, but they don't want it anywhere near them, and they don't want to see it when they travel.... They support regulations without knowing what the impact is going to be, they push everything further and further away.... then they build houses and shopping malls on the farm land and repeat. It is like watching a societal cancer eating it's way from the inner city as far out as they can see...

I just sorted a box of government food, which is offered pretty liberally around here and in many parts of the country. I am thankful that it is offered, and it does help. What doesn’t suit one family can easily be shared with others who will enjoy it. I am not in any way, shape, or form criticizing the program or those who may use it. Rather, I am reflecting on where these things come from. A visit to the grocery section at the dollar stores reveals the same.
Of 30 products, 13 came from China (fruit, vegetables, tuna), 2 from India (cereal and jelly) 2 from Mexico (pasta), 2 from United Arab Emerit (pasta), 2 from Brazil (rice), 1 from Egypt (jelly), and 7 came from the US (tomato sauce, beans, peanut butter). 4 of the 7 are products with bioengineered ingredients.
With a country as large as ours, which has and can produce about anything we need, why have we allowed it to come to this. Yes, we want cheap and easy. Yes, a large degree of apathy.
Change starts at home. A reminder to me to make more deliberate choices. Number one, can I provide it myself? Next, can I get it from someone else who produced it? If not, can I get it from a good domestic source?
Have a blessed day, everyone!

That is an excellent observation!

For me. It's kinda of a we me issue. Like others I am pretty independent. Took n takes a lot of work.
As far as we, we elected the government folks who are running the place.

Latest posts

Back