Growing Carrots

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
This is a great video about growing carrots. Carrots can be tricky to grow. I have had failures and successes.

I think that some things like trying to grow carrots are science experiments. I've shared videos made by this couple before. I really like their points about how important carrots could be in a SHTF situation. Carrots can be over wintered in the ground.

This grows carrots for competitions.

Carrots will split if the root encounters any obstacle. He uses a fine screened compost.

Carrots need a nice clear path to grow. Deeper soil longer carrots. Transplanting does work for me. They grow but aren't pretty.

I only pull what I need and leave them in the soil over winter. They get sweeter in the cold. As long as I can dig the frozen soil they are available. They do go to flower the second year.

Ben

They do go to flower the second year.
According to the video I shared, carrot seeds are only viable for about 3 years. That would be why having an area set aside for growing carrots for two years for the purpose of growing seeds would be a good idea, IMHO. My biggest challenge with harvesting seeds is being there are the right time to get them!

Latest posts

Back