Growing Celery from Seed

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Have any of you grown celery from seed? I've tried, and so far, this seems to be the best year yet, with 100% failures in the past.

If you have ever bought a package of celery seeds for gardening, it seems that there are a few hundred seeds in the package.

I started some seeds about a month ago. They sprouted and came up. Some were under the 5000 lumen shop lights, some were just in the window. The seedlings that were under the lights are doing well and have their second leaves. I'll take a photo when I get home. The ones in the window didn't make it. I have planted more pots and plan to give some to friends.

This video shows that growing celery requires special care, wrapping the stalk at a certain stage of growth.

ive not tried the seed yet., always heard it was too difficult. its great yours is coming up. ive saved the celery stumps, set in some water and new stalks come up and ive planted those. i also grow lovage around the yard--tall green leafy plant, tastes like celery. i use the leaves as the stalks are a strong celery taste.

dani save the celery stumps, put in small glass with water til it starts sprouting and you can plant them in a flower pot inside. looks nice on a windowsill. i had 3 growing in a planter on my porch all summer. trimmed and dried it so i have celery for all winter.

dani save the celery stumps, put in small glass with water til it starts sprouting and you can plant them in a flower pot inside. looks nice on a windowsill. i had 3 growing in a planter on my porch all summer. trimmed and dried it so i have celery for all winter.
This does work. If you buy celery in one stalk and save the bottom, you can grow a new celery plant. It does work.

This will be my first year.
I think of things like this as science experiments. We know that light is important. I used to just plant and think sunlight would be enough, but it is not, thus all of my failures. Working and expanding my indoor growing set up has given me the opportunity to have better success.

This is what my first celery seedlings look like today. Four are still growing from the first planting. The other 4 are from the second planting after they failed due to lack of light. I do have more growing.
Celery, April 5, 2023.jpg

I have tried seeds. The first couple of attempts we duds. The 2 years ago I started some indoors and then transplanted. I have transplanted roots several times since with acceptable success. I used the tango and the utah hybrids. I think the seeds need to be treated just right to have success...

I think the seeds need to be treated just right to have success...
A friend of mine was a biology major in college. Friend is quite a foodie and makes things like homemade sausages and other interesting foods from scratch. He has shelves set up in his basement for starting all kinds of peppers and other seedlings from seeds he collects in his travels to Europe, the Mid East and Asia.
He had a discussion with one of his professors in college about poppy seeds that we buy in the stores and how they are treated so they won't grow, so they can just be used for cooking. Professor told him that if he were to try to grow some, a few would probably sprout and grow. He tried it. Some grew, but are knowingly illegal for us to grow.

I have tried many times. Our grocery stores trim off all roots.

Latest posts

Back