Growing Rocky Mountain Juniper

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buffalo

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
As has been discussed in other threads, a windbreak or shelter belt is a valuable asset to any homestead. Our homestead sets on the edge of a tiny unincorporated town, which is set in a valley created by a river (well, we call it a creek). On our homestead there are a few very old Eastern Red Cedars on the western border of our property, but the northwest corner and north edge of our place has nothing to slow down the wind and snow. One of our goals this year is to get another row of windbreak trees planted.

I was able to purchase 100 Rocky Mountain Juniper seeds from a seller on etsy for $12, shipped. I researched the method in which to break the dormancy of these seeds. 40 days of warm stratification, followed by 90 days of cold stratification. This weekend marked the end of the cold stratification for the seeds, so this morning when I got to the shop, I started up our small aerogarden for seed starting and we have 50 potential junipers started.

I realize that it is very early for starting any seeds, but I feel that with trees, if I can get them going mid-winter, then transplant to pots before transplanting to the homestead later in the year, they have a better chance to be stronger seedlings.

We picked the Rocky Mountain Juniper for our homestead for several reasons (the same for the other species of trees we are planting). The first and foremost is that it is a species that was native to the area (northwestern Kansas). The second reason was it's growth requirements, as these trees are very tolerant of drought conditions, poor soil and are relatively deer and rodent resistant. The last was the growth shape, as these trees grow to 15 to 20 feet tall and spread 8-10 feet across. They will fill in a mid level section of our windbreak. (The other levels being filled with Ponderosa pine, Eastern White Pine and Black Hills Spruce).

Here is day 1 of the Rocky Mountain Juniper's life:
Junipers 2023-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back