Guinea Pigs.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tank-Girl

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
ATM I have two guinea pig sows out of three that are confirmed pregnant.

In this heat that's not good because if they get too hot that can abort and die.

So, I've had to move the whole herd inside and every time I walk past their cages they whistle at me to give them carrots.
Noisy little poop machines.

I have never tried guinea pigs, but I know someone who is allergic to chicken and raises rabbits for their meat.
It is true, they are a commonplace thing to raise and eat in places in Peru. Maybe out in the country, I'm not sure.

They are a great food source for many reasons. They grow fast and eat inexpensive food - thrifty! They don't take much space and the meat is very lean.

Well the other sow is about to drop her litter any day.
Her pubic bone has separated and spread. This indication is very much like the ligaments in pregnant goats going soft.
I'm guessing she'll have at least two but she's big so there may even be four shoe-horned in there.
I've separated her from the other females and I'm giving her more veggies high in Vit. C and rolled oats for energy.

I bought our 2 g.pigs from a pet store that was going out of business. Gee, that one felt so heavy and plump and what is this other one, feels like it is starved half to death. No, just a pregnant one and the father. LOL
She had FOUR babies at one time and the runt had a little paw deformity. I had them as pets, for fun, until it wasn't. So made a little money off of them. But they sure were cute and weird. I loved their whistles. If other people don't know, they are born running and squeaking, eyes wide open.

I bought our 2 g.pigs from a pet store that was going out of business. Gee, that one felt so heavy and plump and what is this other one, feels like it is starved half to death. No, just a pregnant one and the father. LOL
She had FOUR babies at one time and the runt had a little paw deformity. I had them as pets, for fun, until it wasn't. So made a little money off of them. But they sure were cute and weird. I loved their whistles. If other people don't know, they are born running and squeaking, eyes wide open.

They are running around, whistling, squeaking and eating solids within hours and are weaned at 3 weeks.
The gestation is 67 days. Longer than dogs and a lot longer than rabbits.

Well no pups yet and the only way I can explain it is that she reabsorbed the developing litter during the heat rather than aborting them and then got breed straight away.
That would be the reason for this overly long gestation.
So now I'm clueless as to when the litter is due but I can see the pups kicking at her sides so I know this lot are still alive and she looks as uncomfortable as hell.
I guess one morning I'll walk out and there'll be little ones hopping and yelling.
This sort of thing drives me bonkers because I'm HUGE on the planning and knowing when things are suppose to happen and this is messing with my head.

This sort of thing drives me bonkers because I'm HUGE on the planning and knowing when things are suppose to happen and this is messing with my head.
I feel your pain about planning, but the universe has a perverse sense of humor. Improvise, Adapt, Overcome :) My wife and I are always saying, "See what happens when we plan things?"

I have never tried guinea pigs, but I know someone who is allergic to chicken and raises rabbits for their meat.
It is true, they are a commonplace thing to raise and eat in places in Peru. Maybe out in the country, I'm not sure.
g
Patch I was talking to my friend on phone this morning and she was talking about being sick from allergy of her grandaughters pet Guinea pig.

So far no rodents on the menu,but you can bet your sweet bippy if I get real hungry the won't be a safe rat much less gunea pig in my view.

g
Patch I was talking to my friend on phone this morning and she was talking about being sick from allergy of her grandaughters pet Guinea pig.
Yes, my husband used to be allergic to cats and all rodents in his younger years. He used to hunt squirrel as a teenager and went to clean his last squirrel and broke out in a really bad ...reaction.

Yes, my husband used to be allergic to cats and all rodents in his younger years. He used to hunt squirrel as a teenager and went to clean his last squirrel and broke out in a really bad ...reaction.

Hubby hunted lots of things and his family ate what they caught too. His mama told them "you kill em clean ,I'll cook em".

Latest posts

Back