Neighbor
HCL Supporter
"Worry more about the NICS 4473 form"
bkt, isn't that for firearms?

bkt

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Acquiring the license means you have passed an exam which implies you are reasonably familiar with several important safety issues which help keep you and others safe from RFI and other issues.

It is true that anyone may use amateur radio bands in an emergency where other forms of communication are unavailable. It is also true that the FCC is not going to send out the goon squad looking for people broadcasting without a license in a grid-down or other catastrophe. Heck, with many radios, it's possible to transmit well outside the amateur bands and accidentally interfere with emergency services.

However, good luck learning how to use your radio on the fly. Do you know your local repeaters' frequencies? Do you understand simplex versus duplex? Cross-band repeating? Programming your radio? Digital modes and effective long-range low-power communication? Antenna tuning and polarization? Hams legitimately enjoy helping newbies learn. They also have no tolerance for people on the air who don't have a call sign.

Amateur radio is not the only radio solution available to you. If you absolutely don't want to take an exam, use FRS, MURS or CB. GMRS requires a license - $75, but there's no test. I suspect that would rub you the wrong way the same as amateur radio.

bkt

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
"Worry more about the NICS 4473 form"
bkt, isn't that for firearms?
Yes. I suspect they're much more likely to come after firearms than radios. That was my point.

BadgerLandHunter

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
The biggest thing to me is it limits the trash. Look at CB for example.

CB is open to anyone and pretty anonymous unless you get a fox hunter (think is the name) who tracks you down. There are lots of trash on it though. People advertising happy ending massages (in Milwaukee) and others selling stolen trucker items from out of state truckers. (offered a good deal on a GPS....didn't do it, told him how bad that was) And you get people blasting thousands of watts stomping on the band especially during skip with little risk.

Ham radio you weed out the trash by making them take a test. The band is usually polite and professional. I like CB for just chit chat and getting "bear reports" but I use the 2m for emergency weather chatter and people wanting to talk for a longer time frame.

If people didn't need a license it would soon be filled with trash. Although I do see your point Uncle Sam has your Ebay, Amazon, or just your credit card record of ordering the supplies. Unless you used cash for ALL of it they know.

Curmudgeon

Malinois' are awesome.
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Why do I need a license?
Biggest reason for me is to avoid the fines, the license is 15 bucks and you're good for 10 years.. We have an Amateur Radio Club a couple counties over, and I have been told they like to turn people in for any non legal activity. Seems to me they could find better things to do but..............

Latest posts