Hamburger Helper

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When first introduced ..Hamburger, Tuna Helper.. and like products were quite popular.. Then they seemed to go through a period of disdain as ..poor people foods.. This also for ..Rice A Ronnie.. and Kraft Dinner, mac and cheese.. I liked them all just as they were..

If, when needed a bit of extra butter, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, cayenne pepper but never salt seemed to perk them up for my taste... When needed my choice was always ..soup base... as it is much less salt than bullion.. Enjoy..

For instance...
https://thecozycook.com/homemade-hamburger-helper/

Homemade Hamburger Helper​

This Homemade Hamburger Helper has a classic combination of beef and macaroni in a cheeseburger sauce with simple seasonings.

Prep Time15minutes mins
Cook Time15minutes mins
Total Time30minutes mins
Course: Main Course, Pasta
Cuisine: American
Servings: 5 people
Calories: 595kcal
Author: Stephanie

Ingredients​

• 1 lb. ground beef
  • Salt/Pepper
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 3 tablespoons flour
  • 1 ½ cups beef broth
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • ½ cup half and half (half milk/half light cream)
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • ½ beef bouillon cube see notes
  • 2 cups cheddar cheese
  • ½ lb. macaroni equal to 2 cups

Seasonings​

• ½ teaspoon EACH: onion powder, garlic powder, oregano, basil, mustard powder, parsley
  • 1/8 teaspoon Smoked paprika

Instructions​

Prep Work​

• In a large measuring cup with a spout, combine the beef broth, chicken broth, half and half, Worcestershire sauce, and seasonings. (This is the “Sauce mixture”.) Set it aside. Measure out remaining ingredients before beginning.
  • Begin boiling salted water to cook the macaroni. Proceed with steps below while the water heats up.

Cook the Beef​

• Season the ground beef lightly with salt and pepper. Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the beef. Cook and crumble until brown and cooked through, about 8 minutes. Drain grease and set the ground beef aside.

Make the Sauce​

• Melt butter in the same skillet over medium heat and add the flour. Stir to combine, and cook for 2 minutes, or until it begins to turn toasty brown.
  • Reduce heat to medium-low and add the sauce mixture in small splashes, stirring continuously. Doing this slowly ensures that the roux doesn’t “break” and that the sauce has a uniform consistency. Stir in the beef bouillon.
  • Bring the sauce to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer uncovered while you boil the pasta.

Boil the Pasta​

• Add the macaroni to the boiling water and cook until just al dente, set a timer to avoid overcooking. Drain once cooked.

Finish the Recipe​

• Reduce the heat of the sauce to low and gradually sprinkle in the shredded cheese, stirring continuously until combined. Add the ground beef back and stir to combine.
  • Add the drained macaroni and stir to combine. The consistency may seem thin at first, but the macaroni will continue to absorb the sauce and it will thicken upon standing. Remove from heat and serve!

Notes​

Pro Tips
  • Bouillon: A little beef bouillon adds depth of flavor, I use 1/2 tsp Better than Bouillon. This is optional, 1/4 tsp. salt can be used if omitting.
  • Cheese: Shred the cheese from a block instead of using packaged shredded cheese. It will melt and taste much better than pre-shredded. I use Cracker Barrel Extra Sharp Yellow.
  • Make sure the base of the soup isn’t too hot when you add the cheese, otherwise the dairy will separate and create a grainy consistency.
  • Broth: This recipe uses a combination of beef and chicken broth for depth of flavor. All beef broth can be used if preferred.
  • Pasta: Medium pasta shells, rotini, and bowtie pasta are all great options for this recipe. If you like extra-extra saucy pasta, use just under 1/2 lb.
  • Be sure to set a timer when cooking your pasta to avoid overcooking it. Macaroni in particular cooks fast.
  • For a twist on this recipe with a hint of tomato sauce, try my Beefaroni recipe!

Storage

• Store in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months. This does freeze/reheat very well. It saves my life every week.
  • I store leftovers in these containers for the freezer and use these food labels.
  • To reheat, I just thaw it out from frozen in the microwave and transfer to a serving bowl.

Nutritional information is an estimate and is per serving. This recipe makes 4 servings.

Nutrition​

Calories: 595kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 38g | Fat: 31g | Saturated Fat: 17g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 8g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 129mg | Sodium: 981mg | Potassium: 548mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 775IU | Vitamin C: 0.4mg | Calcium: 374mg | Iron: 3mg

Anyone tried to spice up hamburger helper? I have some hamburger helper that's getting close to expiring (beef stroganoff). It’s sort of blah. Was thinking of trying to spice it up a little. Browning the meat correctly first would add lots of flavor. I have a few fresh ingredients, serrano and bell peppers, white sweet, yellow and green onions, garlic. I have a decent dry spice rack, 30+ spices. I also have cayenes, thai chilis and jalapeno’s that I grew and dried.

Anyway, I’ve never used hamburger helper and was looking for ideas. Thank
I spice up everything. Not just for taste but because some herbs and spices do have health benefits.

A lady friend has high blood pressure, and now diabetes. She controls both with diet, no prescription drugs. A while ago she turned me on to Mrs Dash salt free seasonings. Garlic & Herb is one of my favs. Original and Table Blend are good too. They all have a different blend of herbs and spices.

1710958832117.png

Anyone tried to spice up hamburger helper? I have some hamburger helper that's getting close to expiring (beef stroganoff). It’s sort of blah. Was thinking of trying to spice it up a little. Browning the meat correctly first would add lots of flavor. I have a few fresh ingredients, serrano and bell peppers, white sweet, yellow and green onions, garlic. I have a decent dry spice rack, 30+ spices. I also have cayenes, thai chilis and jalapeno’s that I grew and dried.

Anyway, I’ve never used hamburger helper and was looking for ideas. Thanx
Maybe just a dash of Worcestershire Sauce. Don't overdo it. Those peppers will be good too. Also fresh mushrooms (sliced or diced) would be good. I like baby portobellos, but the white caps are fine too. Not shitaki mushrooms unless that's your favorite. They are a little chewy for my taste.

Latest posts

Back