Handheld Radios - Our Goals

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Lazy L

Old Cowpoke
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Handheld Radios - Our Goals

Our goal is reliable handheld radios that had different transmitting power levels.

We didn’t see the need to broadcast to the entire State (or worst the entire Country) just to let the family know that supper was ready. But on the other hand if a family member was further out chasing cattle a higher transmitting power would be necessary.

1. The budget affordable Midland GXT radios met our criteria. Sold in pairs for $80. 2 watts on the FRS channels and 5 watts on the GMRS channels. Received the required license from FCC to legally transmit on the GRMS frequencies (no license requirement for the FRS frequencies).

Simple to operate. No alphanumeric keypad. Press “MENU” use up and down arrows to select the channel then press PTT to transmit. Powered by a rechargeable 700 mAh Ni-MH battery or by four AA batteries. Weather resistant.

2. Then we heard about Baofeng UV-5R radios. $40 each. Programmable for 1 watt and 4 watts. Programing by the keypad was so interesting that we reverted to the easier method of CHIRP software (free) and a genuine Baofeng cable. We programed the first twenty-two channels to match the channels on the GXTs.

Because of the detachable antenna on the UV-5R you can not legally broadcast on the GRMS or FRS frequencies but to can legally receive on them.

Almost as simple to operate as the GXT. Up and down arrows to select the channel by number or press the “A/B” button will allow you to select channel by name. Power by the included Li-ion 1800 mAh rechargeable battery, by the optional 3800 mAh rechargeable battery or by the optional AA battery pack (six rechargeable or five alkaline batteries).

In my humble opinion any weather resistance will be determine by how good of a pouch you carry it in. I watch a YouTube where a Baofeng model similar to the UV-5R is advertised as “Water proof” and completely submerged in a bucket of water. I watched and within a matter of seconds the radio died as the the air bubbles continued to rise to the surface of the water. My take is don’t trust Baofeng advertising.

UV-5R can transmit on Amateur Radio and MURS frequencies too. I understand the FCC is requiring Baofeng to hardware limit power and frequencies of UV-5 future production.

UV-5 are known for spurious emissions that exceed the FCC regulations. That means when a UV-5 is transmitting it is also transmitting “interference” on up to three other frequencies. Should you care! Yes if you are conscientious operator and/or concerned about OPSEC. From the research I have personally done, UV-5 are illegal to use as a transmitter during “normal” times.

3. Yaesu FT-4X. $100 (I got it on sale for $80). 1/2 watt, 2 1/2 watt and 5 watt is programmable per frequency. Programing software and cable is back ordered so my impatience forced me to use the alpa numeric keypad. Instructions left a little to be desired but once I figured it out programing was rather simple. This will make it simpler to make additions and changes during “abnormal” times.

With a software secret numeric “key” the FT-4X can be unlocked to transmit on GMRS and FRS frequencies. Transmitting power can be programmed at or below the requirements for GMRS and FRS. FCC non-removable antenna requirement makes the FT-4X illegal for GMRS and FRS use.

If you are a licensed Amateur Radio Operator (like the UV-5R) you have access to a full range of frequencies. As a Amateur Radio Operator you can legally test your communication gear and become familiar with it by routine use.

Almost as easy to operate as the GXT once you software lock the radio so the operator can only access the programed channels. As with the UV-5 you can choose between channel number with frequency or channel number with name. Powered by the included 1750 mAh Lithium-ion or an optional 2500 mAh battery. Sadly no AAA battery option. FT4-4X is the smaller of the three.

I had assumed the FT-4X was made in Japan. I was wrong, made in China and the stock antenna is identical to the UV-5R antenna.

Unfortunately headsets and external mikes are not interchangeable between the the GXT, the UV-5 or the FT-4X.

Summary.

Which handheld radio is good for you? How should I know! I can tell you what our family will be using;

The GXT for responsible children around the property, rugged and weather resistant.

UV-5R because of cost, increased frequency range and as the GXT it can accept rechargeable AAA batteries (FT-4X can not). Programmed and stored for SHTF or TEOTWAWKI. The only reason the UV-5R will NOT be totally replaced by the FT-4X is because of the option of power by AAA batteries.

FT-4X because it is built with higher quality (IMHO) over the GXT or UV5R. Meets FCC rules which allow it to be used daily by family members holding Amateur Radio Operator licenses. When a life is in jeopardy, this is the radio we will depend on.

Radio-front.JPG
Radio-side.JPG

Last edited:
FRS may not have a removable antenna, GMRS allows the use of detachable antennae. The cheap, FRS/GMRS combo radios you find at Target and Walmart cannot have removable antenna by law. Radios like the ICOM F21 (less than $150 new) can legally do the GRMS frequencies at 4W, do repeater splits, and have a removable antenna. My Midland MTX115 is a moblie radio with a mag mount antenna. Of course, you need a GMRS license to operate on GMRS frequencies:cool:

Last edited:
Our neighborhood isn't radio savvy, so we went with what one of the guys recommended and they work great in our high desert area, up to 10 miles if line-of-sight, up to 2 miles with some low hill interference. That is, the DeWalt DXFRS800 2 watt, made for construction workers, etc. About $90/pair. They come with charging trays that work with off-grid modified sine wave inverters. So far we've just done various radio tests but they fill the bill for here.

Latest posts

Back