Handmade Christmas

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I gave up on handmade gifts a number of years ago.

One year I took some pretty cool oak that had been repurposed. I made 5 cabinets much like bathroom cabinets.
But instead of a mirror, they were hand painted by my wife. The paintings were beautiful, and took us about a year to complete all five.
We were very proud of our work.
The reception of said cabinets was far below stellar.

One time when visiting my folks, I saw the cabinet we had made them just sitting outside with a bunch of other stuff.
I was crushed.

NEVER AGAIN.

That is why I don't do handmade gifts except to my girls, husband and MY parents. K's family are rude and vicious so I act as if they don't exist. Seriously, not even a thank you for high value gift cards.

Seriously, I spent 7 years working on him to get him to be my momma's boy! I tried my hand at a second but he passed after a year and a half due to a fatty liver and kidney disease.

Semi-precious gemstone chip and fresh water pearl bracelets this year! Cricheted scribbies last year and I hear tell I have to keep those coming...

We use transparant printer paper, like for overhead projectors, to get a stained glass look Grimm. Glitter glue sticks to the coated side (feels slightly rough), permanant markers are beautiful on either side but we generally use thise on the smooth side. Looks surprisingly convincing.

You do amazing work! Beautiful:)

Semi-precious gemstone chip and fresh water pearl bracelets this year! Cricheted scribbies last year and I hear tell I have to keep those coming...

We use transparant printer paper, like for overhead projectors, to get a stained glass look Grimm. Glitter glue sticks to the coated side (feels slightly rough), permanant markers are beautiful on either side but we generally use thise on the smooth side. Looks surprisingly convincing.

I tried using Sharpies on the parchment paper but the color didn't want to 'stick'. I even tried running a sheet of parchment paper through my printer. The ink ran. I have been looking to get some 'velum' scrapbooking paper but the stores seem to be sold out right now.

I decided to make another house before Christmas. It is a simple 3 piece template. I already have it cut out, scored and prepped for paint. Far less complicated compared to the church.

One year I took some pretty cool oak that had been repurposed. I made 5 cabinets much like bathroom cabinets.
But instead of a mirror, they were hand painted by my wife. The paintings were beautiful, and took us about a year to complete all five.

One time when visiting my folks, I saw the cabinet we had made them just sitting outside with a bunch of other stuff.
I was crushed.

NEVER AGAIN.

Incredible.

I want photos of your bracelets and crocheted scrubbies!

I told K I wanted him to make me a display for the houses. He thinks I meant shelves until I showed him this...

5592a252bdb82edcb70ff5ba657ad30d.jpg
I have seen photos of these trees for villages before. I think they are a great idea for those who have collections and need room to display them. I would put my nativity scene on one it as well.

I was crushed.

NEVER AGAIN.
I am so very careful about what I make. My shop apron for my daughter for Christmas? She knew what I was making and had seen them in process a few times. I know that if it is not just right, it would be a complete no go. I wanted input on pockets and ties. I would not have thought of pockets that fit their cell phones, but totally understand that idea.

Just beautiful...lots of templates at Pinterest....

Yeah. A lot of them are just the same one with minor changes- the basic milk carton house.

These things are all beautiful. And I am sorry to hear that the special hand painted cabinet landed out on the back porch. I have the cabinet that my uncle made for his kitchen in my living room - some food and dvds in it. And the wood small entertainment center he had in his living room with his tv in, I have it here in living room with fabric, some prep stuff in the under cabinet. I have them as the daughters were going to just let them go as too hard to take away with them. I wanted the stuff he built. And I have a great bookshelf he made me earlier in time.

Grimm, your village houses are AWESOME!!!!!!!!

Thank you. I will be working on a few soon. I have some other goals I want to get done first.

I'm wanting to make some Christmas decorations, maybe just one thing. My thoughts include a table top beaded tree, a beaded table runner, some felt ornaments, something embroidered, a cross stitch piece or the wooden display tree that Grimm posted.

There is a 12 Days of Christmas set of patterns out there, ornaments made of felt. I have made the partridge, pear, and have started the two turtle doves.

Any ideas or suggestions out there?

I liked this beaded table runner that I saw at World Market last year. I can't find any patterns that are even close to it. I could draft my own pattern, but that adds a layer of work. This is the kind of thing I could work on while house sitting, but the 12 days of Christmas would be something I could do as well.

Beaded tree table runner.JPG

I begin with the greatest intentions of handmade; but it usually ends up with a bit of baking for the neighbours and a few gloves / cowls for my children. I've a cowl on the go, and a jacket for my daughters friends new baby. But not sure if I'll give it yet.

We do on occasion. I love it. I like the crocheted edge around the flour sack towels so Ma did some for me for Christmas one year. Things like that. 😊
There is a name for that, but I can not remeber what that edging is called right now. I had a friend who used to do that and also inherited some from my Hunny's Great Mother.

There is a name for that, but I can not remeber what that edging is called right now. I had a friend who used to do that and also inherited some from my Hunny's Great Mother.
What is usually around the edges is Picot or Fagoting but Ma does a crocheted lace. Similar. 😊

I was crushed.

NEVER AGAIN.
Ya .found my quilt I gifted as a wedding gift, cut up in the dog beds. Never again will I spend my time effort and money to make handmade.

Back