handy tool

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randyt

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
The little hose came off the primer connection on the gas tank on my Husqvarna chainsaw. It's down in deep, a real PIA to get too. Anyhoo the first time I took the saw apart and reattached it. It happened again, I thought what a pain but this time instead of taking it apart I used a big set of forceps. Those darn things are about 10 inches long. This time after getting attached, I cleaned it and dribbled a little epoxy around it.

Back to those forceps, those were handy. I've seen real long needle nose pliers at places like Harbor Freight, cheap but there usually isn't much force on something like that.

Sounds like another tool that I need. There is always something that you just can’t get to it seems.

I have those in both curved and straight forceps. I don't remember where I got all of them but I picked up two or four one time at an army surplus store. They had a small box sitting out so I picked one of every size and style.

One of the hospitals I worked at had a big tub full of forceps they never used. They were included in a single-use kit used in the Cath Lab and the doctors didn't like them. They gave me all I wanted. I had about 50 pairs and gave them to everyone. I'm down to about 5 pair after 20 years.
Those kits also had blue towels and the doctors hated those because they were not absorbent until after they were washed a few times. The hospital would not wash them for reuse. I had to make 2 trips to my car to get all of the new never used towels.
I'm sure the patient's insurance paid for them.

I also have curved and straight forceps. Indeed, handy little tools, like miniature vise-grips. I've used them for decades. I have a few other medical tools whose names I don't remember, also handy for working with little stuff or electronics.

They are indeed handy, I pick them up at garage sales and the like. I have a small drawer in my toolbox dedicated to just those.

Years ago a friend used forceps, to smoke roaches down to the paper stem.
I remembered this when I needed a long locking pliers, I bought the 10 inch forceps & it was the best thing.
Many times they saved me much trouble & pain.
I got the Leatherman Free P2 for my birthday, by far the best gift this whole year.

Back