Happy New Year's Eve

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swing

Porch Lover
Staff member
Admin
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I hope everyone has a good evening planned. The type that you like.
And I sure hope 2024 is good for each of us, in money, health, food, shelter, etc.

1704058215486.png

Happy New Year! I just hope there aren't too many fireworks that bother the dog!
I think we're gonna have a bunch because dark is hours away and the test-firing has already begun :oops:.
Happy new year everybody! ...
Or rather, how many people are as happy as me to wave goodbye to 2023?
81979-waveguy.gif
:woo hoo:

I gotta be honest...if the last few years are a trend, I'm not too enthusiastic about '24. But I'm sure as heck motivated to prep more!

Have a great New Year celebration!

Happy New Year! I just hope there aren't too many fireworks that bother the dog!
Our old dog is almost deaf.
Fireworks on the 4th didn't bother him so I'm hoping tonight will be the same.
It's cold and foggy so maybe all the idiots will stay inside and not shoot their guns.
We will be asleep by 10 just like every other night.

Happy New Year to one and all.

Many people have heard me chirp about using the July 4th and newyear's fireworks to measure the state of the local economy because it is an excellent gauge of how much money people have to 'burn'.
Over 2 hours and still going, lots of 'big' ones too! :)...
The state of our local economy = "Very strong" :thumbs:.
Edit: Boy, and at midnight all hell broke loose, you could swear I was in the Gaza Strip! :oops:

Last edited:
Our old dog is almost deaf.
Fireworks on the 4th didn't bother him so I'm hoping tonight will be the same.
It's cold and foggy so maybe all the idiots will stay inside and not shoot their guns.
We will be asleep by 10 just like every other night.

Happy New Year to one and all.
One of the dogs that I have taken care of for 5 years, since she was around 6 months old, died of cancer this summer. She had a friend that she often played with, Glory, who also shared a birthday with her. We hadn't seen Glory or her owner for a while. One day I was at the dog park and Glory's owner comes in, with a new dog. He told me that on July 5th, the day after Glory's 4th birthday, they found her deceased in her bed in the morning. They knew she was bothered by fireworks and they think she had a heart attack from them.
People don't really understand the stress that fireworks can give animals.
I'm sitting on the couch and the new dog is curled up next to me. The cat, who always makes herself scarce just spent almost an hour here with us. My guess is that the fireworks noise is bothering her too.

Happy New Years Campers...
Coincidently the last day, New Years Eve is 123123 this year....

Here instead of a ...ball drop... to ring in the new year.. Here in the land of 10,000 lakes they are doing a red and white fishing bobber drop... Kind of cute... We were predicted to also have a ...brown new year.. along with the ...brown Christmas... we had.... That didn't work out as we got a skiff of snow Saturday night.. It was overcast enough today the roads and walks are clear, but there is a bit of snow on yards.. But then in this part of the north land it always storms on New Years.. With this bit of snow the stupid metro drivers are having a bumper car style crash fest..... They ...never... learn to slow down a bit for conditions.. Like said... You can't fix stupid..

The big Minnesota, Wisconsin pro American foot ball rivalry was played today... The Minnesota Vikings team got there a$$ whipped by by Wisconsin Green Bay Packers... No surprise there... But then I don't follow football...

No place to go, nothing to do tomorrow on a day off... Got a sliced ham with pineapple, cheesy potatoes, green bean, green pea, asparagus casserole and Tetley tea to nibble on all day...

May 2024 be better...

Russians are invading via Canada...??
Please explain ??

Lots and lots of fireworks going off down in the valley....sounds like war from this distance.....that crump crump crump sound long range artillery makes....coming from the north (I'm a couple hour drive south of he CA border.)

In my household, Russians are the all purpose bogey man. Don't want my kid to grow up to become a pinko so I blame everything on the russians. Hate starts at home, and the earlier the better.

I'll be working today (double time and a half--poor me ;) ), so went to bed the normal time. Never cared much for New Year's Eve. Got woken up at 12:03 when the neighbors were setting off fireworks. There were no aerial ones but they freaked out my dog and she barked for about 40 minutes straight. Must have worn her out--she slept in this morning.

Happy and Healthy New Year to all!

Hope everyone has a safe New Year. We spent the afternoon and early evening with old neighbors and friends. Very pleasant. This group has been together for the past 30 years and back in the day we would have been up watching the ball drop and partying until the sun came up. Now we are all fast asleep bt 10:00, and pefectly content. Some were heading down to Florida today.

Never did hear any fireworks. In our neighborhood there are usually some, but not this year.

Happy new years
went to bed around 10.30
before that we played a variety of games and I had 1 beer

NO fireworks last night. That's a first. The people that used to send up a ton in the sky across the river must have moved or ran out of money this year
But lots of people shooting during the day yesterday, sounded like the civil war had already started
we used to always do a lot of fireworks before we moved here, but the animals dont like it, and I am afraid to catch something on fire.

Many people have heard me chirp about using the July 4th and newyear's fireworks to measure the state of the local economy because it is an excellent gauge of how much money people have to 'burn'.
The state of our local economy = "Very strong" :thumbs:.
Edit: Boy, and at midnight all hell broke loose, you could swear I was in the Gaza Strip! :oops:
The only fireworks, bombs, and skyrockets came from the apartments about 3-4 blocks due south on my house. These are government subsidized houses, where Uncle Sam pays their housing bills, they get a $250 a week government checks, and all the free food they can enjoy, along with free internet and phones. Yep, they were having one hell of a party, on the Government Tit.

Fireworks:
...Even tonight, lots of loud booms in the distance, from all of the people that had to work last night :rolleyes:.

Latest posts

Back