Has anyone had Muscovy ducks?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My ducks and geese don't bother our dogs but 1 dog I had would try and chase them,good thing I had her on a chain,but she chased about any animal.

One of our dogs liked to chase them, We told her to stop a few times and it finally stuck after our other dog disciplined her. Other dog our old 17 T.O. now use to protect them and and stopped the other from chasing the ducks.

One of our dogs liked to chase them, We told her to stop a few times and it finally stuck after our other dog disciplined her. Other dog our old 17 T.O. now use to protect them and and stopped the other from chasing the ducks.

Good deal,glad to hear it.

Very interesting read. Fowl (or foul) poop is the only reason I don't like them running around!

Well, the pen is built in the barn, just need a top made for it and some ducks and geese to put in it once they are big enough. :)
Duck pen.jpg

I belong to a group called Nebraska Bohemians, because my grandfather was a Nebraska Bohemian, and my mother was half Bohemian. They had a post about Musovys. Bohemians, aka Czechs, always had ducks and geese while others were more likely to have chickens. Duck and goose was a common Sunday meal. They used the feathers for feather beds and down comforters.

"BOHEMIAN DUCK

For Bohemians there is only ONE duck and that is the Muscovy duck. In the early years the Muscovy ducks were raised on the farm and later when bought in the store, grandma would insist that the duck had to be a Muscovy.

The duck has a Slavic name, as Muscovy is an old name for the region of Russia surrounding Moscow. But the ducks actually have no connection at all to Russia or even Europe. The ducks actually came from South America. They are “tropical” birds. Besides being tropical, they are more likely to perch in trees than spend time in water as do other ducks. As a result the birds have much less fat content than other ducks. But don’t worry, as there is still an abundance of the precious duck fat that Bohemians love.

The oil gland on Muscovy ducks is different from other ducks as well, which results in a stronger tasting meat. The texture of the meat is more like veal than stringy poultry. Some say that Muscovy duck is often difficult to tell from a beef steak.

Muscovy was always the preferred type of duck in Europe and perhaps why grandma preferred it. But there are many varieties of duck and while Muscovy certainly sounds Bohemian what makes duck truly Bohemian is when you season it with caraway seed and serve with dumplings and kraut."

Follow up comments about Muscovy ducks:
A female Muscovy with young ducklings is the meanest creature on earth.
Boy....That's the truth! Even the drakes could be mean. Once our Muscovy drake came out of no where around the back of the car and knocked my little brother who was 3yrs old at the time to the ground and flogged him with his wings before my dad could rescue my brother!!!

Last edited:
  • One of the oldest domesticated fowl species in the world, the Muscovy Duck was already being kept by native people in Peru and Paraguay when the early Spanish explorers arrived. The word “Muscovy” may refer to the Muscovy Company (incorporated in London in 1555), which transported these ducks to England and France. https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Muscovy_Duck/overview

Wild Muscovies, native to the American tropics, are wary, fast-flying birds of wooded rivers and swamps. Most Muscovies seen in North America are of the barnyard variety, but small numbers of wild birds from northeastern Mexico may appear on the Rio Grande in southern Texas. These big ducks nest in cavities in trees, and cavities large enough have become harder to find as riverside trees have been cut. However, they will also use nest boxes, and many such boxes have been put in place in Mexico by the organization Ducks Unlimited.
http://www.audubon.org/field-guide/bird/muscovy-duck

Muscovy ducks will eat everything, even all the frogs in your pond.
Always thought the Pekin ducks weren't very smart. Mine liked to stand in the middle of a busy road.
I had some brown ducks a couple years ago that did that and eventually got ran over all at the same time. That's why I fenced in a lot of the yard to avoid that happening again. Now I have Pekin ducks and a African Brown goose,had 2 of them until earlier this week,something got 1 of them.

Latest posts

Back