Has anyone read: "THE COMFORT CRISIS"

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
I am thinking this may well be a better read, then 90% of prepping for survival books. No, I have not read it and doubt I ever will. I have no financial interest in this book, I simply "suspect" it would be helpful for those preparing.

"Embrace Discomfort to Reclaim Your Wild, Healthy, Happy Self
Discover the evolutionary mind and body benefits of living at the edges of your comfort zone and reconnecting with the wild.

In many ways, we’re more comfortable than ever before. But could our sheltered, temperature-controlled, overfed, under-challenged lives actually be the leading cause of many of our most urgent physical and mental health issues? In this gripping investigation, award-winning journalist Michael Easter seeks out off-the-grid visionaries, disruptive genius researchers, and mind-body conditioning trailblazers who are unlocking the life-enhancing secrets of a counterintuitive solution: discomfort."

I haven't read it either........

Survival books that mostly try to modify mindset (to a survivalist alternative), are actually the most useful survivalism books.

Books that just cover individual skills are more the equivalent of cook books - they are fine for real novices (and indeed for entertainment and the fantasy of city people just hiking out into the sticks and surviving).....but they fail to address the really big issue that most people have - which is fundamentally wrong mindset.

The USMC has the saying "Embrace the suck". Most of the grunt parts of the military encourage black humor/reverse psychology about adversity.

Last edited:
I have read a good dozen books from Holocaust, Vietnam POW’s and other such scenarios where individuals have endured through exceedingly tough and brutal torture/circumstances. Often times the author or the subject of the book was the only survivor where others fell for various reasons. Mindset, toughness, future focus, endurance were common themes. Embrace the suck is really what these books speak about. Embrace the suck doesn’t mean you enjoy it. It means you own it, and it doesn‘t own you.

I have people ask me why I cut and split firewood, why I follow my hounds around in the dark. Etc. Granted I have a light. But it's a form of exercise and I enjoy it and in the Corps if one doesn't embrace the suck and the motto of Semper Gumby the suck will destroy you both physically and mentally. Don't ever be scared of the unknown make the unknown worry about you.

Read the book 'When Hell was in Session". POWs during Vietnam War. Those guys endured stuff most people could never imagine.
It can be done.
From my experiences, backpacking is the first thing that crossed my mind. You are totally challenging yourself and your skills everyday. Nothing to rely on other than your own abilities and drive.
Now days people don't have skills or drive near much as days gone by for a large percentage. I think challenging yourself is fun and certainly a learning experience

The USMC has the saying "Embrace the suck". Most of the grunt parts of the military encourage black humor/reverse psychology about adversity.
A mighty wind blew night and day.
It stole the oak tree's leaves away,
Then snapped its boughs and pulled its bark
Until the oak was tired and stark.
But still the oak tree held its ground
While other trees fell all around.
The weary wind gave up and spoke,
"How can you still be standing, Oak?"
The oak tree said, "I know that you
Can break each branch of mine in two,
Carry each leaf away,
Shake my limbs, and make me sway,