Has "Prepping for Survival" gone in the WRONG direction......???

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In your post #15: While not part of that group, Major Frederick Russell Burnham's theories of "Scout" and, his methods as "Scout" operations have influenced my prepping direction. You brought the subject of "Scouting and Scouting Operations" into the discussion. ?

Where did you get the idea that scouting........involved "REPELLING"......??? The whole concept of scouting is to gather information while avoiding contact with opposing force.

Last edited:
I was making a point that you personally have not had to repel any invading forces and thus had your training tested in a life or death scenario.

Where did you get the idea that scouting........involved "REPELLING"......??? The whole concept of scouting is to gather information while avoiding contact with opposing force.

It is totally pointless for me to respond, in specific detail. It is pointless for me and it is pointless for the forum members. This is a closed group, and typical of closed groups, it has circled the wagons. I don't think this group realizes how closed it is. Now is that a problem for me......NO. Is that a problem for the group.......NO. This thread and a few of the other threads that I started have turned into classic studies of group dynamics. That is neither good or bad, it is just what is.

The group has embraced it's list of core beliefs. The group has it's leaders who attack and attempt to discredit anyone new who does not blindly subscribe to those core beliefs. Does any of that matter.......NO, again it is just what is. I have been under attack from the moment I joined this forum. Does that matter........NO, it simply is what is. And matters not to myself or the group. In fact it is a substantial part of what makes a group a group.

My prospective spans over 60 years in the study of prepping and survival, which is a longer period from which to have noticed the evolution of this prepping/survival movement. One could choose any point in the last 40,000 years to mark the start of the "Modern" prepping/survival movement. My being born in the mid 40's.......I choose the mid to late 50's as the birth of "Modern" prepping/survivalist movement.

At it's start it was never intended to embrace everyone. The basic theory was birthed by an architect Don Stephens, and was written about and modified by: Mel Tappan and Bradford Angier and Col. Townsend Whelen and later put forth by Jeff Cooper, and many others. While not part of that group, Major Frederick Russell Burnham's theories of "Scout" and, his methods as "Scout" operations have influenced my prepping direction.

when are you going to actually answer tmt's questions? you post like a politician lol you "say" things but never "say" anything.

is this board a little experiment for you in "group think" ?

is this board a little experiment for you in "group think" ?

NO..........that was never the goal; However it has been extremely educational, and a little scary.

Have you noticed anything about "group think" that is new information to you......???

While I never had any intention of being part of a survival group, trying to survive in a post SHTF situation. This thread has brought to my awareness more reasons that groups have unique dangers. Dangers to those in the group, and especially anyone outside the group, who would have contact with any group.

Last edited:
to me prepping is a personal thing, what others do or don't do is up to them and them only.
prepping industry? is there such a thing?

There is a huge market for "prepper products" and number of retail businesses that cater to the prepper/survivalist crowds.

it depends how much shiny new stuff you want, I have always thought that that side of prepping is about keeping the consumer society going.
things and stuff wear out, get broken, even stolen, to me prepping is about learning skills and gaining knowledge to aid our survival post collapse.

It is interesting how this thread has evolved. From, what the hell do you mean, then gone in the wrong direction. To the next stage, He is a troll. To wherever it currently is. But never really got deep into the question.

It is NOT an individual "Thing". It is "Only" an individual thing to the extent the individual is willing to assign a relative priority, and assumes the individual is clearly aware of all the realistic options available. I have put this question or this statement out on several forums. The results are interesting. The most extreme results were on the "Bushcraft Forum".

While the goal was, and the goal continues to be as the original question states. The group behavior is a clear, and undebatable result, with the "Bushcraft forum" being the most extreme, most unified, and most violent, clearly illustrating uncontrolled spontaneous "Mob" behavior. I am not trashing or bad mouthing that group, simply stating what was observed, observed not only by myself, but also by others, others from inside and outside of that group. It could be argued that reaction is a good reaction for a group in a survival situation.

As to the original question, it seems that the question is hard to grasp, and rather then look at the question, as a stand alone question, everyone seems to only look at their personal choices and personal selections from their understanding of the prepping/survival menu.

Last edited:
I really like how these old threads will get resurrected when a new, active member like lonewolf joins in.
Some of this would never be seen otherwise.
Thank you lonewolf.

There are those thinking, "They profoundly WISH they had never seen them the first time, and are vomiting at enduring a second exposure....:cry:

Last edited:
I'm not sure the question can be treated as a "broad, general question." Any individual's "prepping plans" are going to depend on THAT INDIVIDUAL's circumstances, budget, physical condition, etc. A general view is possible, yes, but the final "plan" is going to be tailored to the specific individual involved.

I'm not sure the question can be treated as a "broad, general question." Any individual's "prepping plans" are going to depend on THAT INDIVIDUAL's circumstances, budget, physical condition, etc. A general view is possible, yes, but the final "plan" is going to be tailored to the specific individual involved.

I am still looking for the exact point where it went WRONG........But I feel fairly sure that "ROUGHLY" the point where it started in the wrong direction is when it embraced pretty much what you outlined above.

Last edited:
It went wrong when it deviated from what you think is right....

What we have currently is a "Survival Placebo". A creating in the individual the calming and reassuring Placebo.

Last edited:
I am still looking for the exact point where it went WRONG........But I feel fairly sure that "ROUGHLY" the point where it started in the wrong direction is when it embraced pretty much what you outlined above.

Define "wrong." What is right isn't right for everyone, and what is wrong isn't wrong for everyone.

What we have currently is a "Survival Placebo". A creating in the individual the calming and reassuring Placebo.

If you don't prep for YOUR individual circumstances, you're going to be mighty embarrassed if the SHTF and you aren't anywhere near ready for the long haul! Survival is the #1 priority and YOUR survival depends on prepping for YOUR circumstances. It would be highly unlikely to find two separate "preppers" with exactly the same preps/game plan.

Last edited:
exactly, my game plan wouldn't suit someone who wants all the technology they can get hold of , mine being more basic and closer to the earth.

Question.........have you studied the direction that it was going, so as you are able to assess the distinction...???

Has prepping for survival gone in the wrong direction?

No.

See......I doubt very many people know the direction it was going 50 to 70 years ago, then roughly 40 years ago started a gradual sweeping turn. People like to be comfortable with the choice they made. And loath that anyone should suggest the remote possibility that prepping took-off in a wrong direction.

Latest posts

Back