Has trouble already reached the boonies?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biggkidd

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Ut oh Has trouble found us here 2 miles back in the woods already? My friend Chris rents / leases the hunting cabin next door he sent me a pick of a guy on foot around his place this morning. Photo was taken about 10:30 yesterday morning. I went over looked around and went inside everything is still there. But now I'm concerned and my dogs have been acting strange for a week or so like someone something is living somewhere along the branch creek on my south property line. I also rode down to the hunt club to have a look. Which is the direction they came from. Anyway no vehicle tracks which we had 1/2 inch of rain night before last so there would have been tracks no doubt. Someone on foot this far back is worrisome! It's 2 miles east or south to the nearest hard top or public roads 4 miles or more west or north.

Keep a wary eye folks!

This is a pic of the guy creeping around the cabin next to my place. Owners haven't been up for a month or so. I passed the photo to some local law enforcement I know. They don't know who it is either. But we all agree it's damn strange to have someone 2 miles off public roads on foot. We know he was on foot as there were no fresh tracks in the mud from the rain we had a 3:30am pic was taken at 10:36 am same day

Image-1.jpg

If he was just passing through an area where there are no trails to follow, I would think he would not be wearing shorts, and without a pack. I would never drop my pack, even at my base camp and wander around without at least a haversack and canteen on me. situation looks suspicious to me.

Take your pic above, PhotoShop in a fake guy sneaking up behind the real guy and pointing a gun at his head. Then put an arrow pointing to the fake guy with a caption reading, "Have you seen this person? He has been hanging around here and we think he might be dangerous."

Then print a couple of copies of the edited picture and stick them up on the cabin.

There was a guy on the other side of the mountain this spring. He stole a truck in Abq and drove out here and abandoned it. He was squatting in empty houses. He's move from on to another when caught. He was finally caught and had several outstanding warrants. If a dog barked anywhere in the county everyone who heard it went out and to check for him until he was caught.

It's kinda annoying at times but people are constantly checking in on you out here.

Yep.

There has been a massive petty crime wave in my AO over the last 8 months. Why is no mystery, 10,000 people have moved into the country in the last year, thats a 25% population increase. It so bad this week they had to shut off domestic water in the county seat because the water system can't keep up with all the immigrants.

Luckily nothing in my immediate area since my place is tucked back in the woods where nobody can see it....all the action is taking place an hour away...but still, its very noticeable in the news and the facebook security groups what has been happening.

As times keep getting harder and harder, this will become more commonplace.

Over the past decade, I have noticed more "strange folks" in the National Forest lands. First an odd one here and there, then more, and more.

My BOL borders almost 2,000,000 acres of National Forest land and there are a half dozen Federal Wilderness Areas very close by.

This area is ripe for all those folks who have said that they are bugging out to the woods when times get hard. Well, it has already started, and it is starting to get a bit wild and hinkey Out There.

It has gotten to where I can't really enjoy being in the woods without worrying about bumping into these characters. They are not your average outdoors people, camping, hiking, and such. They are not even your average meth chefs cooking up the next batch of crap. Comparing notes with my local friends, more than a few of these newcomers are armed and appear to be...dare I say it...survivalists, but not the kind you would want around you. Plus an unhealthy mix of homeless-looking folks.

So much for my isolated BOL. But I knew this was coming and have posted a bit about that over the years...warning folks that bugging out to the woods is NOT a good idea for several reasons.

One of those reasons is that the locals will not be putting out the welcome mat.

Any empty home around our area seems to get squatters, it's a good thing all of our neighbors look out for one and other, this is an area not to be messing around. It's also a reason I don't mind having cougar and bear around, we don't know how many intruders they may be taking care of for us, even I don't go up to our spring site alone anymore, as it is I have often smelled wildlife while I was working on the spring in past years.

...It has gotten to where I can't really enjoy being in the woods without worrying about bumping into these characters...

Pro-Tip: Just like when ya go for a swim in Any Ocean.. Use 'The Buddy System', when yer trekkin out there, M'Lady... :cool: (and if ya've not got any 'trustworthy bipedals' available, at least bring 'Cousin Colt' or 'Uncle Smith Wesson', or at least ol' Groucho Glock, along with ya.. :) Would really Hate to read of anything untoward happening out there.. :oops:

I mean, I'm sure yer Way ahead of this, but.. Just a good reminder for All of us, these days.. Can be None-too careful out there..

..And yep, we're seeing an uptick, here, too (of Course, any 'Urban area' is kind-of Expected to, but.. We're seeing a Lot more 'homeless / drugged out of mind transient encroachers' migrating into the area.. Just had a '6-cop / FD / Parameds intervention', this.... Err, yesterday afternoon, just around the corner, so.. Yah... 'Its Coming'..

jd

Wow, I would have a hard time with all that. The forest around here is so thick you can't walk through it and the mosquitos are even thicker. To add an extra layer of protection, there are over 100 bears in the area at last count. No one is camping out in there.

We got in with the locals asap and we all cruise each other's places when some one leaves for a few days. We are way back in the sticks away from any population centers or decent roads as well.

I was drilling some post holes yesterday in a neighbors drive way up the hill. I had to bring the dogs to give a bear warning; even the dogs don't wander far.

You all need more bears.

This area is Urban, but there is an area that is wooded with a stream bed, I have seen it become a mecca for homeless people in tents, normally there is enough growth (greenery) that you cannot see them, but once the fall comes you can see the tent tops from the road. For the last year there have been restrictions on evictions from rental properties but as those restrictions I can imagine that people who skipped paying their rent for the last year will be looking for "free" places to live, empty houses and cabins will be targets of opportunity for these "unfortunate" individuals.......

A short time ago, my sleep was interrupted at 2AM with the sound of a car driving around my circular drive. Suddenly the sound stopped so I knew someone was up to no good. My FIL lived 200 yards away called and said someone was at the barn. No road and no gate to the barn. I grabbed my trusty 12 ga and white German Shepard Sam. Sure enough someone had driven through the fence and was securely stuck behind the barn. All 4 does were open so I had no idea how many people I was confronted with. A little farther and I found a man naked as the day he was born. My FIL had a 357 pointed at hime and we questioned him. Are you alone I aded? You didn't see the Indians he replied? You didn't see the arrows? I knew then he was high on something! I called wife to call sheriff. He was there in record time! He was arrested and car towed! Shortly after that we put up a solar powered gate at the beginning of the circle driveway. My point is, expect the unexpected. Oh and by the way, Sam wanted to tear his are off as the man tried to pet one of the biggest and meanest dog ever. I had to pull Sam back to prevent a real problem.

Well I was paid a visit by someone yesterday, and I don't have a clue who it was. While I was up the road aways, drilling some post holes for a neighbor who is gone on vacation and doesn't know his posts will be planted when he gets home, someone snuck some day lilies, a quart of raspberrries and two zucchini into my boot room. Paybacks a b****. I don't know who to return the tupperware to.

Years ago I was at my brother's place. We saw headlights on the hill leading to his house then they turned the lights off and drove real slow past the house to the barn, Someone got out of the car and the car started driving out with no lights. As they got even with us we unloaded our shotguns into the air. The car took off and the light came back on and they were out of there. However, the guy they dropped off had to run through some very thick sticker bushes down the gully and back up the other side.
My brother installed a gate the next day.
He figured it was a guy that had done some work for him and knew what he wanted to steal from the barn.

Latest posts

Back