Hashbuilt

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hashbrown

Peckerwood
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
172 yards on the ground 72 left to go. This is a 4 pex the wife and I are building, we have to go fast on this one we have 3 of the 4 sold. This building usually takes 8 months to build going to try and shave a month off of that. Starting in winter it will be tough.

c1.jpg

c2.jpg
c3.jpg
c4.jpg

Be in the 20s tonight I had to blanket the slab.

That is definitely cold. But then again you didn't have to plow out the snow before building the forms. We don't see a lot of home construction going on this time of year, not unless the foundations were in before winter arrived.

That is definitely cold. But then again you didn't have to plow out the snow before building the forms. We don't see a lot of home construction going on this time of year, not unless the foundations were in before winter arrived.

Im going to start another one beside it next week, hope this good weather holds.

Heights don't bother me, it's falling that grabs my mind. It used to be incapacitating. I would freeze out of uncontrollable fear. The name is acrophobia and I have battled to get it under control. I can walk around on a roof without any problem because as long as I'm away from the edge there is no imminent danger. The hard part used to be the ladder. I could see the ground under me and I used to climb ladders just to fight that fear. Transitioning from the ladder to the roof, or worse, from the roof to the ladder I still fight with. I win most of the time and when I fail I wait a couple of minutes, give myself a good talking to and then push it to succeed. Nothing is impossible! I sometimes have to comfort that little kid in me that is afraid by telling him (me) that it will be alright and I will protect him (me). The fear subsides and I gain one more victory. Fear is an emotion that exists to be defeated. If you let it win it just gets stronger. It needs to be beaten. It always feels good to win. :)

When we were building the cabin (an A-frame) I had a ladder start to slide away from the building. The feet of the ladder just started moving away from the structure. I chose to respond to the fear by running down the ladder as it was sliding. when I got to the last few rungs there was enough weight to stop the slide and I walked off the ladder onto the ground. I was proud that I didn't freeze and end up falling from the top. I walked around for a couple of minutes, repositioned the ladder, drove a couple of stakes to keep it from sliding and went back to work. I took a great deal of pride in myself that day. That is what you have to do to beat unreasonable fears. Take pride in each little victory and keep going. The fear dissipates as long as you keep beating it. At one end of the path it's impossible. At the other end it is easy. ;)

Screen Shot 2017-12-15 at 4.31.06 PM.jpg

You should buy your wife some clothes that aren't all torn up!!!! :D

I think pouring cement is kind of fun, esp with a pumper. I'm not so crazy about cutting and tying rebar.
Everything looks good.

Looks like fun. Want to get a cargo van set up so I can take on more construction and remodeling work. Being hard of hearing I'm a little picky about what jobs I'll do for safety reasons, depending on who I'm working with, but I enjoy it overall. Last year I was running a 92 Dodge Dakota 2WD with a construction topper, nice little rig but honestly not enough room for my style. Sold it this fall and plan to buy something else this winter/next spring depending on what I do for work, preferably a E250 shorty with a full roof rack, assuming I'll be able to put 12' lumber inside. I'm the guy who likes to have every possible tool on my truck... then I don't run home for tools or forget a critical part of the job and have to quit for the day.

Heights don't bother me, it's falling that grabs my mind. It used to be incapacitating. I would freeze out of uncontrollable fear. The name is acrophobia and I have battled to get it under control. I can walk around on a roof without any problem because as long as I'm away from the edge there is no imminent danger. The hard part used to be the ladder. I could see the ground under me and I used to climb ladders just to fight that fear. Transitioning from the ladder to the roof, or worse, from the roof to the ladder I still fight with. I win most of the time and when I fail I wait a couple of minutes, give myself a good talking to and then push it to succeed. Nothing is impossible! I sometimes have to comfort that little kid in me that is afraid by telling him (me) that it will be alright and I will protect him (me). The fear subsides and I gain one more victory. Fear is an emotion that exists to be defeated. If you let it win it just gets stronger. It needs to be beaten. It always feels good to win. :)

When we were building the cabin (an A-frame) I had a ladder start to slide away from the building. The feet of the ladder just started moving away from the structure. I chose to respond to the fear by running down the ladder as it was sliding. when I got to the last few rungs there was enough weight to stop the slide and I walked off the ladder onto the ground. I was proud that I didn't freeze and end up falling from the top. I walked around for a couple of minutes, repositioned the ladder, drove a couple of stakes to keep it from sliding and went back to work. I took a great deal of pride in myself that day. That is what you have to do to beat unreasonable fears. Take pride in each little victory and keep going. The fear dissipates as long as you keep beating it. At one end of the path it's impossible. At the other end it is easy. ;)

Be glad you don't wear hearing aids... they (can) make things even worse. I'm in the same spot as you are, I'm fine as long as I'm in a place and wearing something that's 100% safe. If I've got the right shoes on, I can walk to the last shingle on the edge of the roof and look down and it doesn't bother me. But if I've got something on that'll slip, I won't be caught within 6' of the edge of the roof. The difference between wearing soft tennis shoes vs combat boots on a roof.

Also ditto on the ladder. I much prefer to know for a fact the ladder is stable.

@hashbrown
Stick built roof? Surprised not to see trusses. If anyone is to be believed trusses save so much time and hassle it's not funny... I don't agree though, there's an art to building a roof and it can't be duplicated with trusses. When I build I would like to build it stick... more room inside when it's done.

@hashbrown
Stick built roof? Surprised not to see trusses. If anyone is to be believed trusses save so much time and hassle it's not funny... I don't agree though, there's an art to building a roof and it can't be duplicated with trusses. When I build I would like to build it stick... more room inside when it's done.

Being it's 2x12 rafters and the funky ceiling design I really didn't have a truss choice. I can't wait to get the boys off of this 5 story scares me everyday.

@hashbrown
I'm going with trusses on my project cause I can put them up by myself. Kinda hard to hold up a ridge pole and both ends of a rafter at the same time. Lol

@gumpy How big are you talking? I'd do a 14' 2x8 ridge board supported on both ends by a 6' 2x6 with notches cut into them but that'd be about the limit I'd want to do by myself.

The main ridge is 3 14 inch lvl laminated together to make the beam with 2x12 rafter spanning 21 ft and the 2x8 rafters sitting on top of a steel beem over the front and back porches.

Hey HB,

Can those laminated beams span much farther than standard 2xs or 4xs...due to super strength ?

I don't know that,
just heard the engineered laminate beams have great strength.

I can see that.

When we built my Pole barn shop,
We used laminated 6x6 posts ..really stronger than 6x6 post. At least thats what I was told.

Jim

@gumpy How big are you talking? I'd do a 14' 2x8 ridge board supported on both ends by a 6' 2x6 with notches cut into them but that'd be about the limit I'd want to do by myself.
The trusses I have ordered are for 20' from load bearing wall to load bearing wall, 4:12 pitch. 10 will be on 3 load bearing walls 34' long, 4:12 pitch. I'll need to hire someone to help me with the 34 footers! They go in the center of the house. It covers a 4' porch on the back and a 10' porch on the front.

Latest posts

Back