Hashbuilt

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trying to get landscaping finished before the winter storm hits.
Should finish this afternoon with a day to spare.
09D7ADA2-66C3-4C76-B694-2B311968CFCE.jpeg
0783BD23-4E22-4C82-8B1F-D9C466B909CF.jpeg

That development was quite a project. How long have you been working on getting that built? It could almost be named after you. Maybe there will be more of a generic name to the development. I've known of some developments where streets were named after some people who were involved.
Was this project your idea from start to finish? There probably some engineers and architects involved in the layout and planning, but many other people were involved in getting it done.

That development was quite a project. How long have you been working on getting that built? It could almost be named after you. Maybe there will be more of a generic name to the development. I've known of some developments where streets were named after some people who were involved.
Was this project your idea from start to finish? There probably some engineers and architects involved in the layout and planning, but many other people were involved in getting it done.
We bought the project when the original developer went bankrupt. It has taken us much longer to develop than I originally thought due to sales. It is sold out and has been for a year. I can’t wait to finish and start something else.

We bought the project when the original developer went bankrupt. It has taken us much longer to develop than I originally thought due to sales. It is sold out and has been for a year. I can’t wait to finish and start something else.
I’ve been there nine years to sell 82 homes. Thought I would do it in 4 years

Man, 82 homes. How exactly do you get paid? Do you own the project from start to finish, or is it part of a larger company that you are a part of or have a stake in?

If you wholly own it, I can't imagine how much  cojones it took to put up the capital to finish the project withput knowing how well youd be able to sell them all, given the possibility of market changes...

So, any advise on repairing floor "joists" when they rot? We have a crawlspace about 4 feet in depth. Airflow is poor and the "studs" / "joists" were set into pockets cut into cement blocks. I have jacked most of the floors back to the proper levels but they are currently on supports that are temporary. Most of the ends have rotted off so structurally I am concerned how to mitigate the issue. I can scab on pieces at the ends I guess. Just looking for ideas since this is not something I do every day. Thoughts?
For future reference;
Cut the end back at least 3 times the length of the rotted part. use treated lumber to replace the end and two pieces twice that length one for each side. Sandwich the cut board and the butt joint with an excess of exterior glue and bolt or screw the the three pieces to the original joist. For the best results use copper azole on the concrete to prevent future rot or attack by bugs and rodents.

Yes, I do over-engineer everything but if it was "over-engineered" the first time you wouldn't have to repair it now.

Man, 82 homes. How exactly do you get paid? Do you own the project from start to finish, or is it part of a larger company that you are a part of or have a stake in?

If you wholly own it, I can't imagine how much  cojones it took to put up the capital to finish the project withput knowing how well youd be able to sell them all, given the possibility of market changes...
We own the project when I sell out and finish a building/4inits we deed the units to the owners and the property over to an owners association so they are deeded like a condo. Over the first few years all of the money went back into the project so we could pay off the original loan for the property. During that time I built everything you can imagine from Roller Coasters to spec houses trying to survive. The project hurdled where we could pay off the property and start building out of cash without loans in about the 5th year. I grew up in the development business my dad and my uncle were huge developers I do it on a much smaller scale. I don’t have the cojones of either one of them!

They say that the two best days in a mans life are the day he buys a boat and the day he sells it. I imagine you are feeling like that now. I hope you made a killing on this project, you certainly deserve it. Thanks for taking us along for the ride.

You should feel pleased that God has smiled on you and let your plan come to a successful conclusion.

Count your blessings!

Ben

PS is it time to start round 2? :rolleyes:
I would be terrified to start a new project right now with what interest rates are doing even though in the entire project we have had one buyer that had to have a loan. Most all of our owners have had an extremely nice home that they have sold because they have got tired of maintaining and have sold looking for an easier life. Our units are between 4 and $600,000 and I’m not ready to bet the farm again at my age. I think we might build a 2 or 3 houses a year when we complete this.

I would be terrified to start a new project right now with what interest rates are doing even though in the entire project we have had one buyer that had to have a loan. Most all of our owners have had an extremely nice home that they have sold because they have got tired of maintaining and have sold looking for an easier life. Our units are between 4 and $600,000 and I’m not ready to bet the farm again at my age. I think we might build a 2 or 3 houses a year when we complete this.
I just did a little math on that. That's a lot of zeros in the gross income. Of course I've no idea what the net may have been, but even 20% would have been a nice chunk of change. :thumbs:

I just did a little math on that. That's a lot of zeros in the gross income. Of course I've no idea what the net may have been, but even 20% would have been a nice chunk of change. :thumbs:
It’s like everything else some buildings the bear ate me and others I ate the bear. All of the homes were sold before the buildings were started with my hillbilly ass guessing about material and labor cost would end up.

@hashbrown It has just been announced that a $132 million dollar "lifestyle shopping center" will break ground in the spring on the west side of Des Moines, about 50 miles from me. It will have an amphitheater, ice skating rink, an 8 acre lake, and a connector trail to a major bike trail.

Maybe you could get in on that project?😁

@hashbrown It has just been announced that a $132 million dollar "lifestyle shopping center" will break ground in the spring on the west side of Des Moines, about 50 miles from me. It will have an amphitheater, ice skating rink, an 8 acre lake, and a connector trail to a major bike trail.

Maybe you could get in on that project?😁
🤣🤣That’s way too much for me! I’m getting to the age I can’t take big risks anymore.

Sorry I missed this, without seeing it would make it hard to determine a correct fix but I have sistered a lot of joists over the years.
Ohh its all good. I live in the what next / do 4 additional jobs for each planned one. I did not design nor build this mess and likely would not have bought it but at the time there were "things" going on in life so it worked.
For future reference;
Cut the end back at least 3 times the length of the rotted part. use treated lumber to replace the end and two pieces twice that length one for each side. Sandwich the cut board and the butt joint with an excess of exterior glue and bolt or screw the the three pieces to the original joist. For the best results use copper azole on the concrete to prevent future rot or attack by bugs and rodents.

Yes, I do over-engineer everything but if it was "over-engineered" the first time you wouldn't have to repair it now.
Yeah I get it. I have done a ton of overbuild over the years but mostly steel work, concrete, and a few other things. That said, its a mess but I don't have a lot of time to work on it. God forbid you could hire anyone here to do it. This is not my thing. I've done a lot of carpentry over the years but all at a basic level. Minus, of course, crawling under houses to set jacks to raise and eventually move them. Yeah I was the skinny kid... Anyway; here is a peek.

20220924_123657.jpg20220924_123705.jpg20220924_123710.jpg20220924_123735.jpg20220924_123750.jpg20220924_142109.jpg20220924_145648.jpg20220924_145653.jpg

We have worked 7 days a week for the past couple of weeks to finish this building. This is my last 4 plex. I have a duplex to finish and our little neighborhood will be completed. I haven’t figured out what is next yet. I know I won’t be able to set at home but I really don’t want to jump on a project of this size at the moment. We might build a spec home or two for awhile. I don’t have a lot of confidence in the market at the moment,

463421DF-DF53-4ACC-8054-B585D8487F4D.png
ADC9F9A3-E72E-498F-828F-3EDDD524E66D.png

@hashbrown
Stick built roof? Surprised not to see trusses. If anyone is to be believed trusses save so much time and hassle it's not funny... I don't agree though, there's an art to building a roof and it can't be duplicated with trusses. When I build I would like to build it stick... more room inside when it's done.
I agree. Tons more room inside when you stick built the roof. I gained an added 560 SqFt of house up where I'm going to finish the loft in this pic. Going to change it up a little and do a spiral staircase to get up there.

1675783946119.png

Latest posts

Back