Hashbuilt

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We cant find contractors or employees. People with zero experience want experienced wages. We are experiencing A paint shortage now also lol...never woulda thought that would happen.
Crazy times right now. What happened to learning a trade and working your way up the ladder? Now it's just gimme gimme gimme.

We just had a fella quit making 32.50/hr because "it's not his thing." Our guy we just hired less than a month ago is 50 - a good worker (go figure). We need some young bucks. And yep, we are always looking. With us, they do have to be able to read a tape measure - you'd be surprised how many can't. Actually, probably not - you've probably seen that too.
I know I've already mentioned you 2 are doing a great job w/ Jake, but he won't be able to fully appreciate it until he's older. He has so much more going for him because of his parents. I don't mean that to discredit him in any way - just as a statement of circumstances.
When I worked for Square D electrical manufacturing I saw a lot of young guys that didn't know how to read a tape measure, yeah, what's a 1/16th of an inch? Maybe they were too much of a danger to themselves to be allowed in a wood or metal shop situation in school, what a shame. Metal shop is where I got my only "A" in high school.

Just remembered getting new guys when I was doing concrete....greenhorn would come up grab a trowel excited to finish the concrete. Kinda felt bad telling them they could not touch it and they would be packing forms and digging lol.

Well, as of today we have 65,000 square feet of construction under way. It’s a big load for an old man a woman and a kid. I actually checked the kid out of school early today and put him to work. One of the customers we are building a home for saw him working on the job and was impressed with his work ethic and gave the kid a $100.

Thats great he got a $100 thumbs up.:thumbs:. He is a good kid thanks to his parents and a little luck. He should do well if we can leave him something to work with.🙏for their future.My daughter is teaching her grandchild how to care for chickens and next is garden.
Our youngest 'late life' 16 Yr Old grandson will be working with his dad this summer which is also a builder.Past time for his dad to be involved in his life,good man but absent father,hes trying to change that now.This song pretty much says it.

Thats great he got a $100 thumbs up.:thumbs:. He is a good kid thanks to his parents and a little luck. He should do well if we can leave him something to work with.🙏for their future.My daughter is teaching her grandchild how to care for chickens and next is garden.
Our youngest 'late life' 16 Yr Old grandson will be working with his dad this summer which is also a builder.Past time for his dad to be involved in his life,good man but absent father,hes trying to change that now.This song pretty much says it.

I saw him live at an outside concert outside of Naples IT. That song was always a tear jerker since my father always worked 2-3 jobs to keep four kids clothed and fed. And then I went in the Navy and was off doing my thing.

Ben

I'm really not sure where the construction world is headed, when I was growing up everything was built by young men now all you ever see on a job is grizzled up looking old men like me or Hispanics.

A dear friend who's gone now specialized in fireplaces and chimneys. Even 15yrs ago he wouldn't hire anyone under 30yrs old. Youngsters were worthless according to him. He couldn't get good help much less anyone who wanted to learn an art (a proper chimney is an art). Other guys I knew in the trades had the same problem, worthless kids looking for a reason to quit.

I saw him live at an outside concert outside of Naples IT. That song was always a tear jerker since my father always worked 2-3 jobs to keep four kids clothed and fed. And then I went in the Navy and was off doing my thing.

Ben

I tell my grand son that at least his dad is home every night and supports him but he is still upset with him.

A dear friend who's gone now specialized in fireplaces and chimneys. Even 15yrs ago he wouldn't hire anyone under 30yrs old. Youngsters were worthless according to him. He couldn't get good help much less anyone who wanted to learn an art (a proper chimney is an art). Other guys I knew in the trades had the same problem, worthless kids looking for a reason to quit.

In a world of fems and libs teaching them they are all bad what kind of kids do we expect to raise?Then we have mothers who want to be " friends " with their kids.:rolleyes:. But we boomers raised their parents so guess the buck stops here.

Ironic that you mention this. I was thinking last night about a book or article I read about proper chimney building for efficient heat and drawing smoke etc. and can't remember where I read it. Is there a thread about chimneys or do you have references you can offer just out of curiosity?

Ironic that you mention this. I was thinking last night about a book or article I read about proper chimney building for efficient heat and drawing smoke etc. and can't remember where I read it. Is there a thread about chimneys or do you have references you can offer just out of curiosity?

The only written description I have is in the 1st FoxFire book, there is a section on chimney building. I never saw my friend build one. I do know his customers waited a year sometimes for him to be free to build one. He was sort of famous in this region. Seems every area has at least one guy who is good at it. I'm sure @hashbrown has someone he calls on.

Load of gold came in today, and another load just like it tomorrow. Trusses are unbelievably expensive right now. Lumber futures have been falling 4% everyday for the last several days. New housing starts are down, I don’t know if it’s good or bad strange times for sure.

AAB1BB06-B333-4778-BE63-19C03832EB1F.jpeg

Load of gold came in today, and another load just like it tomorrow. Trusses are unbelievably expensive right now. Lumber futures have been falling 4% everyday for the last several days. New housing starts are down, I don’t know if it’s good or bad strange times for sure.

View attachment 66921

Do you have armed guards watching that?

Just remembered getting new guys when I was doing concrete....greenhorn would come up grab a trowel excited to finish the concrete. Kinda felt bad telling them they could not touch it and they would be packing forms and digging lol.
I worked for a concrete form setting business in Golden, Colorado, I'd say it was the hardest job I've ever worked on, the plastic coated 3/4" 4'X 8' sheets of plywood weighed 90 pounds, I was the oldest guy on the job and the owners didn't think I could cut it, I lost 15 pound in one month crawling in and out of the ditches with forms. The enough is enough moment came when I got ice on my cap and fingers got numb. Colorado is a beautiful state but we had enough of the snow and cold of winter, we consider that where we are now is paradise.

T
I worked for a concrete form setting business in Golden, Colorado, I'd say it was the hardest job I've ever worked on, the plastic coated 3/4" 4'X 8' sheets of plywood weighed 90 pounds, I was the oldest guy on the job and the owners didn't think I could cut it, I lost 15 pound in one month crawling in and out of the ditches with forms. The enough is enough moment came when I got ice on my cap and fingers got numb. Colorado is a beautiful state but we had enough of the snow and cold of winter, we consider that where we are now is paradise.

Those plywood forms are hard on you!

It takes a good powderman to break the rock up without throwing it into the air. Great work!

Latest posts

Back