Hashbuilt

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finishing my last building on this project and they are really turning out nice! I don’t know what I will build next but I think I’ll take the summer off to figure it out. Two weeks until I’m done.

855B20A0-2B6B-4A86-A8A8-BBBFE6F50779.jpeg

Several guys I work with sold and bought houses during the climb in the markets the last few years. I worry about whats gonna happen with them.
We are building a first home for my nephew at the moment I tried to talk him out of it. He’s currently living rent free on one of the family farms. I tried to get him to stay there for awhile but with a new baby and a wife he wasn’t want to listen to what I had to say. He will spend 300k on a house I have built for 150k in the last few years. Everything is overpriced the way I see it at the moment.

A developer bought property out here in the country, late '21 he started several projects. 2 new homes are complete but have sat empty for a couple months. I noticed Saturday he's stopped work on 3 other projects. Don't know what the problems are but it seems things aren't going well.

We are building a first home for my nephew at the moment I tried to talk him out of it. He’s currently living rent free on one of the family farms. I tried to get him to stay there for awhile but with a new baby and a wife he wasn’t want to listen to what I had to say. He will spend 300k on a house I have built for 150k in the last few years. Everything is overpriced the way I see it at the moment.
Prices have leveled out in my immediate area. It's still badly inflated, but houses will sit on the market for 3 or 4 weeks and then you'll see a small price drop, maybe 3 to 5k. Then they go pretty quick after that.

I believe once something happens that causes job losses, then we'll see the drop. But, Joe will bail everybody out and we won't see the kind of market correction that needs to happen to put everything back in line...

A developer bought property out here in the country, late '21 he started several projects. 2 new homes are complete but have sat empty for a couple months. I noticed Saturday he's stopped work on 3 other projects. Don't know what the problems are but it seems things aren't going well.
Sales have slacked off here for sure!

Interest rates. What was 3% or so 2 years ago is now 7% or higher. Jacks house payments way up. Plus loans on house that the price is dropping on are getting harder to find too.
I think interest rates were 8% + when I bought my home in 1990. I refinanced when the rates went down. Home is paid off now. I got a great deal on my house, a HUD, that was causing headaches for HUD due to neighbors working on suing HUD because they wouldn't sell the house to people who already owned homes, some of them now valued at more than a million.

People are uncertain, are they even gonna have a job in a year? After the insanity we've seen the past 2 years? What looked like a good investment 2 years ago may not be. If the interest the guy is paying doesn't swallow him. These house would sell, just not right now.

Glad you get to take a break, live a little, rest a little. But not to much rest. People who retire then sit aren't around very long. So take a fishing trip, bream will soon be bedding around here.

Last edited:
Dad built everything around here to last a lifetime. His. Hashbrown, or anyone else, we are in the process of building 700' of floats. This spring we should have close to 250' of floats finished. My question is, although I can only build about 150'/year, due to labor availability, should I buy my materials now or wait and purchase later. My concerns are materials cost, up V. down, and bank collapse.

Dad built everything around here to last a lifetime. His. Hashbrown, or anyone else, we are in the process of building 700' of floats. This spring we should have close to 250' of floats finished. My question is, although I can only build about 150'/year, due to labor availability, should I buy my materials now or wait and purchase later. My concerns are materials cost, up V. down, and bank collapse.

Finishing my last building on this project and they are really turning out nice! I don’t know what I will build next but I think I’ll take the summer off to figure it out. Two weeks until I’m done.

View attachment 105606

Very impressive, Hashbrown. You do beautiful work. :great:

Hey Hash
While you have some time, maybe ponder tiny homes. If you start a tiny home side gig maybe Jake could run it in a few years. I am guessing that people who don't want to afford a house aren't going anywhere. Or design a bunker community.

Last edited:
I personally feel like prices have seen their highs here for awhile. I really don’t think I would prebuy anything now.

Time to chill and do some easy stuff, right? Put up some machine sheds and add on some porches to people's homes? :ghostly:
I figure by the time I get the Jeep finished for Jake I’ll have a new plan. I have no idea what’s next at the moment but laying around the house and building a Jeep sounds pretty good for awhile but I do know that won’t cut it for me for very long.

Latest posts

Back