Hatching eggs.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terri9630

Internet Princess
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
We've had eggs in the incubator and the chicks are hatching. We started out with 27. Tossed 3 around day 10 that weren't developing. Right now we have 15 out and one more pipping. There are 8 more that aren't showing activity yet. Hopefully a few more hatch. I'll post picts of the little peeps when I can take the top off the incubator.

Last edited:
Its technically called a flock:LOL:but yep. We are adding to it. We ended up with 16. The last to hatch is still in the incubator. Its still a bit unsteady and the bigger chicks were picking on it. If it gets stronger I'll add it to the brooder.

A third turkey chick just hatched about 15 minutes ago... ive had a hard time hatching turkeys and chckens. my first batch out of around a dozen i only got one live chich of each. my neighbor has a big incubator ..she had room to hatch about 15 turkeys..no hatch..only about a dozen chickens out of maybe 40 hatched.
i upped the humidity so maybe i will get a few more..

Hooray for your turkeys!
We have chicks due in about 2 weeks. Have a dz that are a week old. That'll be it for awhile, since most of our chickens are sold. Plan to not take any with us on the move...we'll have two dogs in kennels and a parrot in the cab of the truck (and 3 kids) so that's enough. I did order 45 chicks through Cackle Hatchery this morning for a late July delivery. 15 each of Jersey Giants, Buff Orps, and Easter Eggers.

My first incubator was the cheapest one I could find. I got what I paid for. The problem was the instructions, specifically concerning humidity. The instructions were in english but wasn't written by people who's first language was english. They were like a mongolian writing in english to a nigerian... just didn't make sense to anyone but the mongolian.

My second incubator was more expensive, with an egg turner and the instructions were much better. I haven't lost a single chick with it.

Good luck with your turkeys!

My second incubator was by farm innovators... Model 4200 w/circulated air and automatic egg turner. I'm happy with it.

Last edited:
I did order 45 chicks through Cackle Hatchery this morning for a late July delivery. 15 each of Jersey Giants, Buff Orps, and Easter Eggers.

We are going to order some Blue Jersey Giants, Royal Palm turkeys and Blue Slates.

We ended up ordering 50 more, so 95 total. But straight run. Didn't order any turkeys. Had bad luck with turkeys we ordered last year. Maybe get some at the Yoder fowl sale. Would also like some guineas, too.
We ordered blue jerseys, too on the second order. I really like jersey giants.
Have a dz chicks to sell off right now, and some more due Monday.

We ended up ordering 50 more, so 95 total. But straight run. Didn't order any turkeys. Had bad luck with turkeys we ordered last year. Maybe get some at the Yoder fowl sale. Would also like some guineas, too.
We ordered blue jerseys, too on the second order. I really like jersey giants.
Have a dz chicks to sell off right now, and some more due Monday.
We are looking at them because of their size. I don't like raising broilers. How are they meat wise?

Last edited:
I tried raising broilers once. I got straight run RR's at the same time. Although they were smaller the RR's killed two of the broilers, two more developed leg problems, had to kill those. I lost the last two when my chicken tractor was blown across a field during a tornado outbreak. So much for broilers... :(

I've never heard of jersey giants. I looked them up, definitely big birds. I don't have a rooster right now anyway, need one. Might order a few straight run birds.

Maybe next year, don't want to raise another batch of chicks this year. I need to call my neighbor down the road. She said something about getting some straight run RR's. Haven't spoken to her in a couple of months. If she has a spare rooster I'm sure I could get one from her.

One of our hens went broody this week. The rooster has been separated from the hens for a month now so no fertile eggs for her to sit on.

Our hens have never seen a roo but one is always sitting.We have to take her off the nest daily.no big deal only have 6 hens.Way too many eggs for us .We give to dogs, and throw some away,it is really sad ot have to do that. But not worth somebody getting sick and blaming our eggs.Already happend to one person here who gave eggs to someone. We triied freezing them but ran out of freezer space.

I wish we didn't get 6 hens now but since he has named all 6 of them don't think they are going anywhere. and will all die of old age and natural causes. 4 would have been more than enough for us.
Unless things get lean here they will have had a bad day.:ghostly:

Last edited:
Are Jersey giants hard to keep, do they have health problems with their size?

No. Theyr'e easy and have good mellow personalities. They're not as big as all that. They're as big as the large breed chickens. I like them. Ordered regular chicks this year and lavender variety. Cackle Hatchery.

1668102077816.png

Cute! What kind do you have there, LL? I put the incubators up till February. Have juniors in the divided junior run in the main coops (12 of them), and have 13 of them that are three weeks younger in the milkhouse. Tough to take care of little ones when it gets cold.

Back