Have recipe need name

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WVDragonlady

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I have a recipe that I grew up eating but I can not remember what is was called. Someone tried to tell me it was Hoppin John but thats peas and rice and this is no where close lol

Ground Beef, pork and beans and elbow macaroni. Onions and garlic are added along with a small amount of water to thin it out

I know my dad's side of the family were Pa Dutch and I'm thinking it came from there. I've looked and couldn't find anything.

Its just one of those things that drives you nutty and I figure with so many people from so places someone might have a name

Who knows maybe dad made the name up lol

Take out the pork and beans, add some type of tomato product (canned, sauce, paste, whatever is in the pantry tomato) and all over the west it was called goulash! It was a very common dish, but I rarely hear anyone eating it anymore.

South too.
Macaroni, ground beef, onions and tomatoes aka goulash. Delicious with corn bread.

Really? lol
Goulash is like the original made with any beef product ( its just faster with ground beef) where I grew up. Add sour cream at the end to give it the tang.
But then again what we call slippery pot pie the midwest call chicken and dumplings lol
Chicken and dumplings here is a chicken stew with flour dumplings dropped on top of the stew with a large spoon and then covered so they can cook(steam)

Don't think it's PA Dutch, but could be from a smaller area of PA Dutch that I don't know. The pork and beans with macaroni is throwing me off.
Talking to my fav cousin (who is O.O. Amish) Sunday and she wanted to throw spaghetti on a pizza for supper and her daughter said no way. I told her no way, too. That is not the recipe for spaghetti pie. So sometimes people in areas just start a new recipe by throwing stuff together.
Like funeral potatoes. I really don't like them.

I'm guessing this is what has happened lol Dad just threw some things together and gave it a name ( which I can't remember) lol
Its good and I've always made it

I saw on the cooking show The Kitchen where I think they took some cooked spaghetti noodles and made a crust for a spaghetti pie so why not a pizza?!
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/katie-lee/spaghetti-pie-3290448

Take out the pork and beans, add some type of tomato product (canned, sauce, paste, whatever is in the pantry tomato) and all over the west it was called goulash! It was a very common dish, but I rarely hear anyone eating it anymore.

I love goulash!!

Really? lol
Goulash is like the original made with any beef product ( its just faster with ground beef) where I grew up. Add sour cream at the end to give it the tang.
But then again what we call slippery pot pie the midwest call chicken and dumplings lol
Chicken and dumplings here is a chicken stew with flour dumplings dropped on top of the stew with a large spoon and then covered so they can cook(steam)
Beef strogonoff has sour cream, but no tomato. I have made it with beef chunks and with ground beef. I have eaten with noodles cooked in and served with noodles. I prefer noodles cooked separately in the event of leftovers.

I did a bit of a web search,using the ingredients.and in diff ways. In which i came across pot pies and other recipes.but the dish,that showed up in each searan,every time.was goulash.so i'll be going with goulash.

Don't think it's PA Dutch, but could be from a smaller area of PA Dutch that I don't know. The pork and beans with macaroni is throwing me off.
Talking to my fav cousin (who is O.O. Amish) Sunday and she wanted to throw spaghetti on a pizza for supper and her daughter said no way. I told her no way, too. That is not the recipe for spaghetti pie. So sometimes people in areas just start a new recipe by throwing stuff together.
Like funeral potatoes. I really don't like them.
I imagine opening the pantry and not having what you need to finish a recipe you have already started cooking, so you have to improvise. That day may be coming in the future for many.
Also, go to a potluck, eat something, and try to go home and make it. Sometimes you can have a big fail with that.

Lol I made lima beans with diced tomatoes and italian seasonings one time for a potluck at my daughter's elementary school ( many years ago). I had people wanting the recipe left and right. Thats another recipe I grew up eating.

I had gotten a microwave meal from sam's club and it took me forever to figure out the recipe. I'm VERY close but I think since mine doesn't have all the preservatives so its not completely on target lol
That reminds me I should make that again soon

Lol I made lima beans with diced tomatoes and italian seasonings one time for a potluck at my daughter's elementary school ( many years ago). I had people wanting the recipe left and right. Thats another recipe I grew up eating.

I had gotten a microwave meal from sam's club and it took me forever to figure out the recipe. I'm VERY close but I think since mine doesn't have all the preservatives so its not completely on target lol
That reminds me I should make that again soon
Probably the only way I would eat lima beans would be to use them to make hummus with lots of garlic and seasoning. I have never made them in my life. Just not a fan. But you must have figured out how to make them taste great.

Probably the only way I would eat lima beans would be to use them to make hummus with lots of garlic and seasoning. I have never made them in my life. Just not a fan. But you must have figured out how to make them taste great.
We both grew up eating limas. Hubby never had it like I cook them but he had succotash ( I had that also). We don't do brussel sprouts though. Neither of us. No way lol not even roasted with olive oil and salt and pepper like people are doing now.
Actually there are only 2 veggies we won't eat and that is brussel sprouts and asparagus. Everything else we eat

We both grew up eating limas. Hubby never had it like I cook them but he had succotash ( I had that also). We don't do brussel sprouts though. Neither of us. No way lol not even roasted with olive oil and salt and pepper like people are doing now.
Actually there are only 2 veggies we won't eat and that is brussel sprouts and asparagus. Everything else we eat
Now asparagus is something I love! Brussel sprouts, no thanks!

We eat a lot of asparagus. Pan fried in olive oil with diced red bell pepper, garlic, and matchstick cut zucchini. I steam brussel sprouts for husband and grandson a few times a month, but I don't eat them.

Latest posts

Back