Have you considered?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like this gal's videos.

Thank you! That was super helpful. I don't know why I didn't think to watch videos on how to do this.
I noticed that she was canning on a flat top stove. For some reason I thought that was a no go. Now that I know it's OK, I might just have to give this a try myself.
Has anyone else used a canner on a flat top glass stove? Any issues?

Thank you! That was super helpful. I don't know why I didn't think to watch videos on how to do this.
I noticed that she was canning on a flat top stove. For some reason I thought that was a no go. Now that I know it's OK, I might just have to give this a try myself.
Aren't glass top stoves induction heaters?

It could be a limit or the pot/canner itself.

I believe my pressure cooker indicated it should not be used with an outside propane heater. I wish they would explain why?

Ben

Aren't glass top stoves induction heaters?

It could be a limit or the pot/canner itself.

I believe my pressure cooker indicated it should not be used with an outside propane heater. I wish they would explain why?

Ben
From what I understand..heat / flame from a propane stove could potentially warp your canner (depending on the metal it is made from) and that could potentially screw up your pressure readings because your canner might not be within it's designed specs anymore. So, it is reccomend not to use propane or open flame on your canner.
That said I heard if it's the steel canner it shouldn't be a issue??
The glass top stoves can be damaged by the weight.
Can you pressure can utilizing propane? Yes..
Should you ? Unless you know for sure what kind of metal it is made from n the manufacturer says its ok..probably not.
I like the consistency from my electric stove I installed in my shop for canning. I know what temp to get it on to start n about how long n at what temps to lower it too to keep my pressure good. It takes a few times to figure it out but electric stoves for canning are easy for now.
N canned bacon is chewy good! Cut off alot of fat or leave extra headroom n stuff the jars for chewy goodness..

I say it all the time, that electricity is not a necessity, nice to have yes very, my concern about running a generator for very long is that it becomes a homing beacon for scavengers, yes you can take them out, but why draw them in. Funny how when replying to a thread about electricity, the electricity dropped out for a few minutes.
There are a lot of things that we can do to make life go along nicely without electricity, but they take some work and preparation, plus practice.
We always liked when the power went out - my son in particular. He said it was so nice and quiet which I agree to.
I like to do things like chili, soups, stew, etc. - heat and serve (as far as meats go.)

You can can the fake cheese sauce. I buy the orange powder from the amish store to use in a pinch (like what is in the mac cheese boxes) and it is shelf stable. I have some powdered cheese cans from Emergency Essentials. You're right, though, fresh cheese and fresh bread need to be eaten up in a few days. An easy farmer's cheese spread can be made each day without much trouble

Yes to the fake cheese sauce. I have some that I re-canned into smaller jars cause a #10 is way too much for one or two meals. And I did buy one can of Auguson Farms cheese powder, just to have on hand.

I am thinking I'll try dehydrating some out of the freezer, just to see how it goes, then try using some.

I will look into the farmer's cheese. thanks

A little addon to the @Magus post about the propane appliances and methane, this has probably been over looked by a lot of people, but a septic tank produces a fair bit of methane, and is a fairly nice to have a flush toilet and importantly a super low flush volume urine collection setup, 2 birds with one plop. I don't know how much methane a septic tank would produce, but it would probably be enough to run a fridge.

I've used both water bath and pressure canners on our flat top stove. I guess the main concern is if your canner & contents are too heavy they could crack the glass top... So I guess don't stand on the cooktop while you are canning :rolleyes:

I remember a show from the 90's, NatGeo maybe. A peasant family built a stone pig house into a steep hillside then built their house on top.

The pigs ceiling was funnel shaped. Upstairs it was reduced to a small pipe. It was a methane trap that provided lamp light.

I'm sorry, couldn't get past the smell. I know what it's like to castrate 100 pigs in a night. It takes days for that smell to wear off even with baths. It was the only time at school when I smelled worse than my friends who worked in big chicken houses catching chickens.

Last edited:
Behold! If you have a gas well on your property, you're gold!

I don't know about the gas operated coolers and freezers, but for things like stoves, propane and natural gas take different sets of fittings. I wouldn't swear that you can find the right fittings to switch for all manufacturers and models.

---

One thing that I've often thought about would be the advantages of setting everything up to run on intermittent power. When you are close to the end of the power companies lines, electricity can be rather unpredictable at times.

I've thought about getting solar panels so that when the power is out, I can still keep going. Refrigeration would be the main problem in the summer. The house stays relatively cool even on very hot days. The only air conditioner we have ever had are swamp coolers. I've always been fine without them, and now that my thyroid has failed and I'm cold most of the time anyway, I can do fine without air conditioning.

I rarely watch tv -- I think the last time I had it on was for about five minutes to watch the last minute or two of the super bowl. I do like to listen to radio or recordings, though, on occasion. (At this mornent, I'm listening to an old Roy Rogers and the Sons of the Pioneers album.)

Hot water would be nice. I know someone who rarely takes a bath. I think he just washes his crotch and underarms and maybe his feet for the most part. I don't know if I would want to go that far, though.

One thing that I have long thought would be nice would be to build a home into the side of a canyon so that you could have a nice view of the country in front of the house and it would stay at about the same temperature year round. With my thyroid, though, it would be too cold for me any more.

Last edited:
I wonder how much methane chicken manure produces? How much would this many chickens produce? (a relatives chicken house last summer, 30,000 birds)

Also, an article on chicken methane...

https://www.jstor.org/stable/25037689
Methane recovery from chicken manure digestion

Chicken house 3 a.JPG

Home methane production is a thing but it's kind of like a lot of things, much more to it than meets the eye. I have read about the simple cooking gas production small batch generators but getting a fairly finicky refrigerator to run might be another thing. We have a 12 volt 40 watt ice chest for small batches.

A lot of great replies, IMO that never putting all of your eggs in one basket is the way to go, I do my very best to have redundancy in everything that I do. 3 older pickups instead of one newer one, multiple methods of gathering firewood etc. working on refrigeration currently, beyond the buy it and run it solutions.

Back