Having right knee replaced in June

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldhand

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I am having my right knee replaced by the VA in June 2018. Anyone who has had this have any advise?

Piece of cake, provided they give you good meds!

Actually, the best advice I could give it to get up on that new knee as soon as possible, regardless of the pain. Go to all your PT sessions, and ice for pain and to keep swelling down.

For a quick ice bag, get 2 zip lock gallon bags. Add 1 full bottle of rubbing alcohol, add one 12 oz bottle of water, then zip it up, then throw it in another zip lock for added precaution. Throw it in the freezer, and it will not freeze, just slush up. Perfect cold pack to use forever.

If you are given the choice of glue or staples, go for the glue. Once done, they will glue a piece of thick latex on top of the incision, and it will feel much better than those 50 staples as they did with my left knee.
knee 3-27-13.jpg

damn bud... OUCH!!!

Hoping not to "catch that bus"...

Hoping not to "catch that bus"...
Count your blessings. I'm shopping for shoulders and elbows.
Everybody can shop the different hip joints and knee joints available.
Shoulder joints are still being developed and prototyped.
shoulderreplacements.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys, as a boy I almost cut my arm off at the shoulder. They had just started using Staples. I healed fast and the Staples were removed. On the way home got into a wrestling match and ripped it open. Didn't go back to the doctor, just let it heal. Made a quarter inch scar but I lived through it.

Thanks guys, as a boy I almost cut my arm off at the shoulder. They had just started using Staples. I healed fast and the Staples were removed. On the way home got into a wrestling match and ripped it open. Didn't go back to the doctor, just let it heal. Made a quarter inch scar but I lived through it.
Staples work.
I had 77 of them when I cut my triceps, artery and the nerve into on my arm. I don't think they are any worse than having strings pulled coming out.
Saved my arm.
I still have them all in an envelope... somewhere.
Souvenirs:D.

The staples themselves don;t hurt, but when they wrap your leg with tight wrapping after surgery, then staples push down deep in your shin, and hurts like hell after a day or two. With the glue, there was no pain.

Latest posts

Back