Hawaii volcano still going strong........

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why would anyone move to an active volcano and build a home on it?
I live in the SE corner of Washington state. I am planning on moving again if the gun laws get any more restrictive.
I would move to Idaho but the altitude rises fast and that limits my ability to grow food. I want to find a moderate climate, at an altitude below 2000 feet ASL (above sea level), With at least 100 day growing season. No earthquakes over M6, no tornado risk, no flood risk, far enough from major geologic activity that it presents little threat and an area that is outside any flood zone.

I live in the SE corner of Washington state. I am planning on moving again if the gun laws get any more restrictive.
I would move to Idaho but the altitude rises fast and that limits my ability to grow food. I want to find a moderate climate, at an altitude below 2000 feet ASL (above sea level), With at least 100 day growing season. No earthquakes over M6, no tornado risk, no flood risk, far enough from major geologic activity that it presents little threat and an area that is outside any flood zone.

Triu Ariozna or New Mexico or Southern Colorado.

I understand that the moon is pretty good this time of year.

We get lots of lightning and storms here had to use oil lamps 4 days ago when power went out, just a part of being a Floridian.
Of course reasons for being here are like most place now ,they are getting slimmer and slimmer.
Last July the dumb clucks at the beach just made it illegal to walk in front of their homes, so you can be fined for trespassing unless your walking in the water.:mad:
Now they are re-thinking about oil rigs right off the beach for first time EVER. Bye Bye American Pie and coconut trees.

I want to find a moderate climate, at an altitude below 2000 feet ASL (above sea level), With at least 100 day growing season. No earthquakes over M6, no tornado risk, no flood risk, far enough from major geologic activity that it presents little threat and an area that is outside any flood zone.
Sounds like you would like Western Pennsylvania or Eastern Ohio.

The moon is completely out of the choices. It has days that last two weeks and nights just as long. The daytime temperatures are near the boiling point of water, which there is little of and the nights are so cold that carbon dioxide, if there was any, would freeze. There is no air to breathe and it rains rocks and gamma radiation all the time. If that wasn't bad enough there are constant quakes and the dust is terrible. In a few billion years, just around the corner, the moon will sail off into space leaving earth behind to become a charred cinder as the sun dies in a giant implosion after it almost engulfs the earth.
I need to find a nice planet around a dwarf red star. :)

Arizona has areas that are good for what I am looking for but those areas are expensive to buy, too populated and the cost of living is too high. I am actively looking at Idaho, Arizona, Nevada and New Mexico.

Sounds like you would like Western Pennsylvania or Eastern Ohio.

The eastern half of the USA has too dense a population to even consider. I found two plots of land over 11,000 acres in Idaho but they are over 4000 feet and closer to Yellow Stone than I like. Except for not being able to produce food and being so close to a super volcano they are great. :)

For those wondering why people build near this (or any) volcano, a couple thoughts.

First, all of the Hawaiian islands are formed from volcanoes. Some are more active than others. To not build on or near a volcano eliminates all residences in Hawaii.

This eruption at Kīlauea isn't new. The eruption actually started in 1983 and has been continuous since. Yes, the past month has been really bad but for the most part, it's been safe to be around and actually stand on the lava.

Here's a pic of my kids standing on Kīlauea. If I didn't think it safe, we wouldn't have been there.

CIMG4347.JPG

Under Kīlauea (and other volcanoes) are what are called lava tubes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lava_tube
These are naturally formed underground tubes that are underground and take the lava far (like many miles) from the eruption.

Here's a picture I took when walking through the Thurston lava tube under Kīlauea. The tube is now obviously closed. ;)
IMG_0598.JPG

If it has been actively erupting since the early 1980s it can't be a "SAFE" place to be. A case in point is the Cascadia Subduction Zone. It has been quiet for over 318 years. It is not a safe place to live. When, not if, it goes off it will take three weeks for FEMA to begin to get aid into the area. After three days without water the residents will start to die. The water, sewer, gas, and electricity will take years to repair and the roads and bridges will take at least that long. Over a million people living in the region will have no health care, no heat, no food, and no water for a very long time. I moved as soon as I found out how bad it was going to be and how long it would last. Think of it like this:
3 hurricane Katrinas covering 700 miles of the shore line with the ports, roads and bridges all destroyed. All of the infrastructure broken in pieces. Now put the temperatures in the 30s and 40s and calculate the death toll and the amount of time to rebuild. (they are still working to rebuild parts of Louisiana and it happened in 2005)

I guess as it relates to "safe", there's very few places in the world that qualify. Most everywhere gets disasters and it's a game people play with time.

If (when) the Cascadia Subduction Zone goes, and goes big, yea, it's going to be a huge disaster. A lot worse than Kīlauea. Kīlauea is a small corner of the island and it's getting damage. The island itself is over 4000 square miles so there are places to evacuate. If they did need to evacuate the entire island, that doesn't sound too logistically difficult. The island has about 180,000 people. Using commercial airlines, the flight to Maui (next island) is under an hour. Using cruise ships, they could load on 5-6000 people per boat and get them to Maui in about 10 hours.

I place my bet on Arizona (obviously). There are places away from big cities and have low to reasonable land pries. The elevation is not the real issue, it is the design of the Ranch / house /farm. Example of thoughts: Below grade green houses, limited snow fall (9 inches or less) sunshine 360 days a year. Water cistern system and maybe a well, if not too deep to water. Yearly highs below 100 degree f and yearly lows above 28 degree f. Growing season all year. Below grade green houses using Geo-Thermal ducting can keep the plants producing all year. Below grade rabbit warren and you have meat all year, plus additional fertilizer for the greenhouses. Proper septic system design and you can grow fruit trees and berries. As for natural disasters, Arizona is a real safe place. Just stay away for Phoenix. It is the pits. JM2C and pride of Arizona.

I place my bet on Arizona (obviously). There are places away from big cities and have low to reasonable land pries. The elevation is not the real issue, it is the design of the Ranch / house /farm. Example of thoughts: Below grade green houses, limited snow fall (9 inches or less) sunshine 360 days a year. Water cistern system and maybe a well, if not too deep to water. Yearly highs below 100 degree f and yearly lows above 28 degree f. Growing season all year. Below grade green houses using Geo-Thermal ducting can keep the plants producing all year. Below grade rabbit warren and you have meat all year, plus additional fertilizer for the greenhouses. Proper septic system design and you can grow fruit trees and berries. As for natural disasters, Arizona is a real safe place. Just stay away for Phoenix. It is the pits. JM2C and pride of Arizona.

I'd go with AZ, NM or Southern CO.

The eastern half of the USA has too dense a population to even consider. I found two plots of land over 11,000 acres in Idaho but they are over 4000 feet and closer to Yellow Stone than I like. Except for not being able to produce food and being so close to a super volcano they are great. :)

Well it would take something like that to get hubby to leave here for more than a week. So not too bad come to think about it, except for other peoples loss of course.
I keep my gear ready at all times just in case. My tents and stuff are right where I can grab them.Plus my van is already packed too with a few things.

There are several good disaster movies about volcanoes. One was done in a documentary type but still sci-fi. Remember that plumes of ash and smoke can travel a long ways before falling.
Water sources can be polluted from many different disasters.
Trains and trucks carrying dangerous chemicals can wreck, putting noxious vapors in the air.
Smoke from wildfires can inhibit activity even if you're a good "safe" distance from the fires.
Nuclear power plant disasters and leaks can be cause for absolute evacuations.
Sinkholes. Dam bursts.

Hawaii eruption has buried two towns....https://www.express.co.uk/news/worl...raffic.outbrain&utm_campaign=traffic.outbrain

Excerpt: "
Express. Home of the Daily and Sunday Express.
AppsPuzzlesHoroscopesShopPaper
15°C
  • Home
  • News
  • World
  • Hawaii volcano in numbers: Kilauea buries TWO towns - 9,900 earthquakes hit Big Island

Hawaii volcano power plant: Latest lava flow map as geothermal…

Hawaii volcano update LIVE: Kilauea eruption latest lava map -…

Guatemala struck by eruption from SECOND volcano: Pacaya spews…

Hawaii volcano eruption: USAF could be called in to BOMB Mount…

Hawaii volcano eruption: Watch LIVE webcam as experts warn…

Hawaii volcano in numbers: Kilauea buries TWO towns - 9,900 earthquakes hit Big Island
HAWAII remains at constant threat from the potentially deadly Kilauea volcano which continues to rumble on one month after a major explosive eruption. Here are all the numbers about the Kilauea eruption which has buried two whole towns as 9,990 earthquakes struck.
By VICKIIE OLIPHANT
PUBLISHED: 16:22, Thu, Jun 7, 2018 | UPDATED: 16:46

There have now been 35 days of ash clouds, earthquakes, lava bombs and evacuations on Hawaii’s big Island since the Kilauea volcano erupted.

The dramatic eruptions over the past month, since the first explosion on May 3, have forced more than 20 fissures to burst through the ground, sending lava fountaining into the skies.

The obliteration of the Kapoho Beach Lots and Vacationland subdivisions by a 15-foot-tall river of molten rock brings to at least 400 the number of homes and other structures consumed by lava during the past month.

It has been 35 days, and counting, since this HI eruption started. I think it is a good time to point out that those of us in volcano territory to be ready for an extended stay. Volcanic ash will get sucked into a jet engine and coat the interior of the engine with glass. Glass coated engines don't run for very long. No pilot will knowingly take his plane anywhere near an ash cloud. Don't expect to fly out of an area with an ash cloud. Likewise, don't expect any air freight in.

Volcanic ash is highly abrasive and will ruin an engine if it gets inside the cylinders or in the oil. I have washable filters for all my vehicles because I don't expect to be able to find any replacement filters when everybody is trying to replace their air filters also. Don't expect any truck freight as their engines are at risk also.

If the wind is blowing the ash out across the harbor or ocean don't expect any barge or ship freight. If you are going to evacuate from and eruption do it early as your vehicle may not run later and it takes time to adapt rescue vehicles with special air intakes.

Eruptions can last for months so be prepared. A washable air filter or several replacement air and oil filters. Food, water, heat, face masks, eye protection and power resources for the long haul.

@Caribou : Fantastic advice Caribou. The lava is a minor issue compared to the problems of ASH!! you will need to seal up all doors, windows, sewer pipe vents will need cone shaped caps to prevent them filling up. Fire place the same as sewer vents, and then you have the problem of a sealed up house. The time to leave is ASAP, not after you see the ash cloud. As caribou pointed out, filtration is key to your survival. The city of Pompeii was not destroyed by lava, it was buried in ash.

Parts of Arizona are experiencing their own fissures opening up. So far the longest is about two miles long but there are many of these fissures. The USGS is saying it is caused by removal of water from the aquifers at a rate ten times as fast as it can be replaced. The gaps are very deep and they lengthen, widen and the erosion fills them in but while they evolve the USGS says they are so dangerous that they are using drone copters to inspect and monitor them. When the water is removed there is nothing to hold the land above in place. It seems to be a bit like a sinkhole in a more lineal fashion.

Well, it's not as bad as some other things in other places. If it happened in your back yard or under your home it would be as bad as anything else though.
It is definitely something to be aware of if you are looking to buy property. :)

Parts of Arizona are experiencing their own fissures opening up. So far the longest is about two miles long but there are many of these fissures. The USGS is saying it is caused by removal of water from the aquifers at a rate ten times as fast as it can be replaced. The gaps are very deep and they lengthen, widen and the erosion fills them in but while they evolve the USGS says they are so dangerous that they are using drone copters to inspect and monitor them. When the water is removed there is nothing to hold the land above in place. It seems to be a bit like a sinkhole in a more lineal fashion.

This is why we no longer buy bottled water. Most of the bottled water is shipped off to other nations.
We use thermas bottles and refill them before we leave the house . Also have a water filtration that purifies water if it gets contaminated.

Bottling company's creating ghost towns drying up wells.

Normally I oppose taxes, I would vote of a very heavy export tax on water, the elixir of life. Soda, water, bottled tea or any other water based product (95 % water). When these products are sold in America, they get recycled in America (think about it). When shipped to foreign lands our supply is depleted, never to be recovered.

You would be amazed at what you can grow over 4k feet. People that don't live at elevation have no idea.

Just an idea of the large farms around here, wheat and other grains, potatoes, corn, sugar beets

I am at 4800 feet and can grow all I can eat. In Alaska they grow world record sized vegetables and it stays colder there much longer.

Two words: Texas.

Latest posts

Back