Headaches

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Headaches are strange, weird sometimes. I get a lot of them because of chronic fatigue syndrome. Not daily but 3-5 each week and the pain directly related to my level of exhaustion. Have scripts for powerful pain relievers, don’t take them, use natural meds. Don’t use herbs very often these days. I’ve learned to live with the pain. Frankly, after 25 years are a part of my life, always there or lurking.

But every once in a while I’ll get a very different kind of headache, a sneaky kind. I think of them as “the creeper” and they hurt, need a shot of morphine kind of hurt! In fact I had a few shots in the ER back when they first started.

Not a sharp pain, there is nothing sharp about them. They are as smooth as silk, like butter melting slowly in the sun. They build gradually over several hours. I usually don’t notice or realize how much pain I’m in until I start yelling at things. Literally, not joking! Had one last friday. I actually cursed my stove out loud! (come on, it is sort of funny😁).

My brain was extra foggy that day, couldn’t concentrate enough to even play music. Yet I had a little energy so I cleaned my kitchen slowly, doesn’t require much thought. I got everything clean but the stove.

Rested several hours then tried to fix dinner. I was having trouble making a salad. Couldn’t think, got fixin’s out of the fridge, put them back, got them out again. Couldn’t choose which knife to use... I grew more and more frustrated! Happened to notice the dirty stove. Then the yelling started!

That’s when I realized one had snuck up on me. It wasn’t painful to the point of screaming but it definitely required a verbal response! Grabbed a couple tincture bottles… 20min later it was gone.

I guess my point, I was in that much pain for several hours but did not realize it. Doesn’t seem possible but it’s happened before, many times. Is it reflective of tolerance to pain or something else is going on in my noggin? I had the other symptom, a special kind of confusion that always tags along. Yet my brain somehow didn’t acknowledge or register the pain. The confusion also prevented me from realizing what this type confusion meant or realize I needed tinctures.

These sneaky headaches don’t happen often, had a couple in early december. Noticed one right away but the other made it to yelling level before I noticed.

In the early years I noticed them all!! A couple times I worked on a catscan, finished… then walked over to the er and checked myself in. Got a shot of morphine, slept a few hrs. Once a cardiologist I knew at a clinic drove me to an ER in his car. (the last year I worked I lost 70lbs, obvious to everyone who knew me I had a real problem) (I’m a stubborn cuss! Refused to quit)

(Also… I was working in 4 states at that time. Getting good medical care can be difficult even when you work with doctors everyday. Several doctors had a little piece of a big puzzle so not one could help individually. And my crappy insurance was great in california, just not anywhere else. I lived in tennessee, spent 3wks a month in ga, pa an ohio.)

In those early years I was prescribed all sorts of pain and migraine meds. Ate prescription strength nsaids until I could no longer eat food, stomach was wrecked. I remember one migraine med, $94 a pill. It had a bizarre side effect, I heard at a different rate than I could see. When people spoke the words I heard didn’t match their mouth movements. Freaked me out the first time it happened. Also discovered I get sensitive to light and sound as do many with migraines. For me sound is far more painful than light.

These days I usually take one of two herbs for headaches. I’ve used “sweetleaf” for a decade now. It’s excellent for exhaustion headaches, the ones at the back of my head and upper neck. It doesn’t work like big pharma pain relievers. It’s been a decade and I still can’t put into words how it makes me feel. Most of the pain stops, the rest just doesn’t seem important.

Last fall I discovered another plant that for me will stop a migraine in it’s tracks. One of the verbena species, blue vervain. Wish I’d learned about it 2 decades ago. My headaches aren’t true migraines but are on par pain wise. Vervain will put a big dent in the pain that’s too much for sweetleaf. Makes it manageable so I can still function.

And there are a couple more plants with strength similar to morphine. I rarely touch them because they are so dangerous. One drop to much and they can stop involuntary nerve functions, like breathing. So, I will not name them here. If you experience that kind of pain I suggest talking to a doc/herbalist in you area. Or like me… yelling at a dirty stove helps!

We all get headaches and we all deal with them differently… Share away!

Different issues but I'm wondering if sweet leaf would work for my wife. She has had 2 major neck surgeries due to the broken neck C5 and C6 were fused right away. Few years later and a lot of pain kept coming up. Ended up using a. Cage and fusing C2 to C5. Helped a lot, but she still has a lot of pain at times, all nerve damage related. She can't do pain killers hardly at all.

Last edited:
Headaches are strange, weird sometimes. I get a lot of them because of chronic fatigue syndrome. Not daily but 3-5 each week and the pain directly related to my level of exhaustion. Have scripts for powerful pain relievers, don’t take them, use natural meds. Don’t use herbs very often these days. I’ve learned to live with the pain. Frankly, after 25 years are a part of my life, always there or lurking.

But every once in a while I’ll get a very different kind of headache, a sneaky kind. I think of them as “the creeper” and they hurt, need a shot of morphine kind of hurt! In fact I had a few shots in the ER back when they first started.

Not a sharp pain, there is nothing sharp about them. They are as smooth as silk, like butter melting slowly in the sun. They build gradually over several hours. I usually don’t notice or realize how much pain I’m in until I start yelling at things. Literally, not joking! Had one last friday. I actually cursed my stove out loud! (come on, it is sort of funny😁).

My brain was extra foggy that day, couldn’t concentrate enough to even play music. Yet I had a little energy so I cleaned my kitchen slowly, doesn’t require much thought. I got everything clean but the stove.

Rested several hours then tried to fix dinner. I was having trouble making a salad. Couldn’t think, got fixin’s out of the fridge, put them back, got them out again. Couldn’t choose which knife to use... I grew more and more frustrated! Happened to notice the dirty stove. Then the yelling started!

That’s when I realized one had snuck up on me. It wasn’t painful to the point of screaming but it definitely required a verbal response! Grabbed a couple tincture bottles… 20min later it was gone.

I guess my point, I was in that much pain for several hours but did not realize it. Doesn’t seem possible but it’s happened before, many times. Is it reflective of tolerance to pain or something else is going on in my noggin? I had the other symptom, a special kind of confusion that always tags along. Yet my brain somehow didn’t acknowledge or register the pain. The confusion also prevented me from realizing what this type confusion meant or realize I needed tinctures.

These sneaky headaches don’t happen often, had a couple in early december. Noticed one right away but the other made it to yelling level before I noticed.

In the early years I noticed them all!! A couple times I worked on a catscan, finished… then walked over to the er and checked myself in. Got a shot of morphine, slept a few hrs. Once a cardiologist I knew at a clinic drove me to an ER in his car. (the last year I worked I lost 70lbs, obvious to everyone who knew me I had a real problem) (I’m a stubborn cuss! Refused to quit)

(Also… I was working in 4 states at that time. Getting good medical care can be difficult even when you work with doctors everyday. Several doctors had a little piece of a big puzzle so not one could help individually. And my crappy insurance was great in california, just not anywhere else. I lived in tennessee, spent 3wks a month in ga, pa an ohio.)

In those early years I was prescribed all sorts of pain and migraine meds. Ate prescription strength nsaids until I could no longer eat food, stomach was wrecked. I remember one migraine med, $94 a pill. It had a bizarre side effect, I heard at a different rate than I could see. When people spoke the words I heard didn’t match their mouth movements. Freaked me out the first time it happened. Also discovered I get sensitive to light and sound as do many with migraines. For me sound is far more painful than light.

These days I usually take one of two herbs for headaches. I’ve used “sweetleaf” for a decade now. It’s excellent for exhaustion headaches, the ones at the back of my head and upper neck. It doesn’t work like big pharma pain relievers. It’s been a decade and I still can’t put into words how it makes me feel. Most of the pain stops, the rest just doesn’t seem important.

Last fall I discovered another plant that for me will stop a migraine in it’s tracks. One of the verbena species, blue vervain. Wish I’d learned about it 2 decades ago. My headaches aren’t true migraines but are on par pain wise. Vervain will put a big dent in the pain that’s too much for sweetleaf. Makes it manageable so I can still function.

And there are a couple more plants with strength similar to morphine. I rarely touch them because they are so dangerous. One drop to much and they can stop involuntary nerve functions, like breathing. So, I will not name them here. If you experience that kind of pain I suggest talking to a doc/herbalist in you area. Or like me… yelling at a dirty stove helps!

We all get headaches and we all deal with them differently… Share away!
This one? https://www.prairiemoon.com/verbena-hastata-blue-vervain-prairie-moon-nursery.html. If so I will have to hunting for some :). And get your Tincture recipe :). I have one, I would be interested in comparing.

Last edited:
Sir - Aside from the obligatory, 'parochial, but with the Sincerest of good-intentions-suggestion' of Peppermint Oil... :)

..When was the last time you had a Full CT or MRI? 🤔 Reason I ask, is here's my 'Anecdote for consideration':

Back about, 1984/85-ish, thru to 1995, my Grandmother would Often complain of "non-specific headaches" like this, and more specifically, a "stiff neck".. She was always going to one chiro or another for the Neck, and would gain Some relief, here / there, but the Headaches were rather 'chronic' - Sometimes acute peaks, but never really "classic migraine" - she described it as just 'smoldering with a severe peak, sometimes'...

..Then, one eve in early 1995, I got a panicked 'pager-text' from my Mother to 'Get to PrkRg ER ASAP!' and when I got there (was still an EMT, at the time, so the ED-staff let me in to see her, directly / discuss with them) they determined she'd had a cerebral aneurysm rupture - and she actually "died" in the Ambulance in her driveway ('coded' a couple times..) but amazingly, the Paramedics were Able to revive her / get her to the ED..

..but as it turned out - the aneurysm was from an Orange-size Tumor she had in the right side of her brain 😵‍💫 - which was Never diagnosed / suspected, because the "headaches" were so low-key..

Now, Obviously, I'm No Doctor (nor even Pretending to be.. :cool: ) but, my point is - Yeah - there certainly Can be 'smoldering, deep intracranial / circulatory issues' that may Not present anything like "obvious" - Remember, my Grandmothers 'causal' didn't manifest-obviously for ~10 yrs! And, it was not 'severe enough' for anyone (apparently) to ever say 'ya know, let's order a CT w/ contrast or an MRI, and have a look-see at the circulatory situation, here..' That May-have saved her Life. o_O (well, at least spared her what she Went thru, there.. Read on...)

Positive note: She not only Survived that aneurysm rupture - but also the very-extensive Surgery to remove the tumor (which was 'benign' (Thank God) although Huge..) and all the subsequent years of therapy - Got to enjoy cuddling / getting to know 5 of her Great-Grandchildren before she finally passed in 2008. :cool: Now, THAT'S 'Italian Stubbornness' for ya.. :p

All's I'm pitching is: Maybe go book a 'Peek-a-Boo', when ya can, eh? 👍

jd

Sir - Aside from the obligatory, 'parochial, but with the Sincerest of good-intentions-suggestion' of Peppermint Oil... :)

..When was the last time you had a Full CT or MRI?

All's I'm pitching is: Maybe go book a 'Peek-a-Boo', when ya can, eh? 👍

jd

N/A. I'm way ahead of you when it comes to my health. I appreaciate the long write up, but unnecessary.

I have been a migraine sufferer. I have always used an aspirin based pain reliever for the pain.

Do we have a thread about making tinctures? I know that they need to be made in dark glass or kept in the dark. Maybe there are some good Youtube videos about making tinctures, but you are our resident expert on it. I have never made any, but would like to. I have collected some brown glass specifically for the purpose of making tinctures.

@Weedygarden I make them in mason jars and store in a dark place. Dark glass is not necessary. There are lots of utub videos on tincture making, from simple to complex.

A wandering thread in a forum is not a good way to learn tincture making... far to many side topics. It becomes an incoherent mess hundreds of pages long. It should be learned with structure from chapters, topics and subtopics. It's why I put the medicine makers handbook in the library.

If you wish to learn, start with the book then find someone local who teaches if the book isn't enough.

You did get the makers handbook didn't you?

N/A. I'm way ahead of you when it comes to my health. I appreaciate the long write up, but unnecessary.

Yessir, wasn't implying Otherwise. :) Nor, suggesting 'You might have a tumor', etc - simply posted that as a 'when it comes to "headaches", sometimes it's Worth getting the 'unseen contributors' (like the cerebral circulatory network) checked for possible previously-unknown issues'-posit.

jd

@Weedygarden I make them in mason jars and store in a dark place. Dark glass is not necessary. There are lots of utub videos on tincture making, from simple to complex.

A wandering thread in a forum is not a good way to learn tincture making... far to many side topics. It becomes an incoherent mess hundreds of pages long. It should be learned with structure from chapters, topics and subtopics. It's why I put the medicine makers handbook in the library.

If you wish to learn, start with the book then find someone local who teaches if the book isn't enough.

You did get the makers handbook didn't you?
I second the reommedation on this book. Peanut talked about it before so I picked up a copy. Used it a couple times. It goes into great detail. One whole chapter talking about how to make tinqures. I keep our's on the living room table along with other books I refer to.

I wish there were a topical solution to headaches. I, thankfully, rarely get headaches anymore but I used to get migranes a couple of times per year. I'd just close all the shades, turn on the AC and fan and try to drift off to blissful sleep. I'd be in bed all day long. My body ached being in bed that long but it was better than the pain in my head.

I usually can't take anything oral when dealing with a HA b/c I'm easily nauseated when my head hurts. My whole body rebels. If I can take aspirin or excedrin with food, then I can get on top of a HA easily. Otherwise, it's not good.

My uncle and my cousin both got migraines. The most effective treatment for them was water. when they felt a migraine coming on they started chugging water. Later they learned to drink lots.

I've had little trouble with headache but the rest of my body made up for that. Mostly I just ignore pain. By the time I realize I'm hurting it wipes me out.

Latest posts

Back