Headstones

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
While out hunting plants today I got distracted. I’m always passing old cemeteries. Sometimes I stop and walk through them and read some of the headstones. Some are quite interesting… if you know a little history. Some are clear, some leave lots of riddles.

Today I found several… Here are 3. The first was a man named Walker. He died April 25,1918, 5 months before his 19th birthday.

The inscription is hard to see in the pic but I wrote it down while there.

A precious one gone but not forgotten… He gave his life to save others… Gone to Rest

This is just a guess but where might a young 18yrold give his life to save others in April of 1918? WW1 in europe perhaps? Headstones in these parts rarely reflect military service during the Spanish American War and WW1. Left over sentiment from the Civil War? Probably… I worked for a man named Walker as a teen. He would have known this person or something about him but died many years ago.

Walker_v1.jpg

The next one is clearer… A 30yrold Staff Sargant named Savage. The inscription is simple…

Killed in the European Area July 11, 1944

This was 5 weeks after D-Day. He was army but a soldier or army air corps isn’t clear to me. The symbol on the medal is a purple heart but the star hanging beneath confuses me. I guess I need a ww2 medal expert.

A sad part... there isn't another headstone with the name Savage in this cemetery. There is nothing to indicate a family relationship of any type. This cemetery has always been a community cemetery and unaffiliated to any church so there are no records to research.

Savage.jpg

The last one is one of the earliest birth dates in this area… 1792. What follows is the only one I’ve ever seen like this…

Tenn Militia
War of 1812

I happened to know this man fought in the Battle of Horseshoe Bend with Andrew Jackson in March of 1814 and then in the Battle of New Orleans against the British in January of 1815. And a bit more…

My dad did extensive research over 40 years of all the families for miles around, a hobby he was passionate about. All the families in this area connected over a century in time, so n so married a person of this family whose child married so n so of that family… you get the picture.

Dad still gets calls from people he’s never heard of but have heard of him. They are researching their family’s history. I get some of those calls by mistake sometimes…

Mr. Henry Logan has fascinated me since I was a kid as well as the history of this part of Alabama before the Civil War. His grave is yards from a cousin’s house, we went over there often when I was a kid. Mr. Logan had what was called “tent grave” a sandstone cover… When I was a kid the tent was intact and the inscriptions clear. The words War of 1812 held my attention. I was already a history buff.

Mr. Logan is just one of many families my dad researched. The man didn’t own slaves but had land with lots of children and grandchildren. He had lots of goods to trade. Not to far from here in eastern Mississippi is the Natchez Trace. Everyone, and I mean everyone traded in New Orleans and via water down to Mobile.

My dad’s research into the families in this area revealed something odd. A lot of young men born in the area simply disappeared from census roles and church membership records when they were about 18 to 20 years old. I think the answer is simple.

Westward expansion was in full swing well before the war. I suspect a lot of young men from this area moved on to Louisiana and Texas looking for land, adventure and a new life. Especially Henry Logan’s offspring after growing up hearing about the exploits of grandpa in the Battle of New Orleans. That had to be a stop on their travels.

Tent (3)a_v1.jpg

Headstones can be interesting!

Tent graves with stones intact… The members of many churches in this area with tent graves will donate money for simple markers as replacements as the tent stones degrade.

Tent (1)_v1.jpg

Last edited:
A tradition here... don't know about other places... Near memorial day graves are cleaned and new flowers put out. People always bring extra flowers. If graves near their loved one have no flowers they put the extras on those graves. Every grave gets a flower whether they knew the person or not.

Last edited:
The symbol on the medal is a purple heart but the star hanging beneath confuses me. I guess I need a ww2 medal expert.

It looks like a WWII bronze star to me without the ribbon portion. Is there a little star in the middle of the larger star? That's one way of telling.

The first time I visited Louisiana I was shocked at how old some of the headstones were. I asked my parents why the cemeteries where we lived did not have such old graves. They told me it was because in the Midwest when people died that just buried them and put a wooden cross in the ground. Even in some of the older cemeteries it is rare to find dates that precede the late 1800's.

We have a lot of this old cemeteries around my area also.
A few years back I walked thru a few , and found it interesting also.
Remeber the pic of cemetery on my Amish trip. Mostly Yoder's . Old ones.
Many markers or headstones from early 1800s and 1700s.

Most are kept up by volunteers or the county in my area.

Jim

Being very interested in my family history, I have become a bit of a detective. Find a Grave is a useful tool. Anyone can contribute by creating memorials for deceased people. Others come along and add photos, news clippings, and then connect family members to one another. I have done this with much of my deceased family. After posting information, I have had other family members get a hold of me.

I found Lonnie T. Walker's grave. On his memorial is a news clip about how he died. I will attach it.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/176070874/lonnie-t_-walker

Lonnie T. Walker.jpeg

Henry Logan has some issues with his memorial. He has two memorials, showing him in two different cemeteries, same birth and death dates. This is not the first time I have seen this kind of error. Each one has a different headstone, so maybe the family added a headstone for him in the other cemetery? In most situations, I would report to the person who created the second memorial that it is a duplicate. In this situation, he is shown in two different cemeteries, with headstones. He is shown with a wife in one memorial and children in the other. It is possible that the memorial with the headstone shown below is an error, someone else's headstone? The relatives who are attached can be edited. I wonder if you live close to this other cemetery and want to follow up?

One of my gg grandfathers had a memorial created for him. He is in a cemetery on top of quite a hill in Nebraska, so his headstone is eroded from the wind. The man who photographed his headstone made up the last digit of his death year, because you really could not tell what it was. I found his death announcement and realized that he died in 1896, not 1890, as was on his memorial. I requested a change and got no response. Then I sent an image of the death announcement to the memorial creator and he changed it.

"

Added by Drew Simpson

Henry Logan
BIRTH 17 May 1792
Tennessee, USA
DEATH 2 Apr 1874 (aged 81)
Fayette County, Alabama, USA
BURIAL
Hopewell Cemetery
Fayette County, Alabama, USA Add to Map
MEMORIAL ID 24863062 · View Source

notes:
United States War of 1812 Index to Service Records, 1812-1815, database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q29K-XXPQ : 11 March 2016), Henry Logan, 1812-1815; citing NARA microfilm publication M602 (Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.); roll 127; FHL microfilm 882,645.

Issue of Henry and Martha (George) Logan
William b. 1812 Blount Co., Tennessee
Ellis b. 20 Jun 1815 Blount Co., TN — d. 4 Sep 1898 in Fayette Co., Alabama - m1. 11 Jan 1837, Amanda Wood, b. 1820 Jefferson Co., TN — m2. 1866 Mary Tabitha Campbell
Mary Ann b.
Malinda b: 21 Sept. 1821 - d. 16 Dec. 1901
Mahala b: c1823 in Alabama m. Thomas Calhoun Shaw b. c 1819
Martheba E. b: c1824 in Wetumpka, Coosa, AL - m. David C. Shaw, b. c1809 in NC
Elizabeth Ann b.
Bloomfield b. 1827 in GA d. 24 Nov. 1890, Coosa Co., GA - m. Milley Hutto, b. 21 Nov. 1828 in Georgia — m2. 28 Jan. 1865 in Coosa Co., AL, Julia Ann Warren

Son of David & Hannah Logan

WAR OF 1812 Henry Logan - 2nd Regiment Mounted Gunmen (Brown's) East Tennessee Volunteers. A Henry Logan was recorded in the Blount County 1830 Federal Census, Western Division, page 264. The below sentence refers to an area near Hatchett Creek of Coosa Co., AL.
"Henry Logan was here among the Indians, and Ellis, his son, grew up here, and was once the sheriff of the county and went as captain to the Confederate War in the 13th Ala. Regt." (1) Rev. George E. Brewer, History of Coosa County, Alabama (Easley, SC: Southern Historical Press, Inc., 1987), p. 103.
HATCHETT CREEK DISTRICT, COOSA CO., ALABAMA 1850 CENSUS
311. Logan Henry 58 SC farmer 400 Martha 60 TN Three of Henry's sons ( Ellis, William, and Bloomfield) are living near him in the 1850 Federal Census of Coosa Co., AL.
1860 Federal Census of Southern Division, Coosa Co. records him and his wife in dwelling #246 and family visitation #241
One source from the internet states he died in Coosa Co., AL and is buried in Hopewell Bc, Fayette Co., AL.

Marriage 1: Julia Ann WARREN b: May 1831 in SC
Married: 29 Jan 1865 in Coosa Co., AL Married by Elias Kelley, J. P.

Children:
Martha Missouri LOGAN b: 1866 in Coosa Co., AL
Samuel Houston LOGAN b: Sep 1866 in AL
Lou Annie LOGAN b: 6 Jan 1871 in Coosa Co., AL

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial...&locationId=&memorialid=&datefilter=&orderby=

Rereading your original post, the triangular footstone is what remains for Henry Logan and is shown on his memorial in the other cemetery. The tent must have collapsed. His 5th great grandson has left a message on his memorial saying he needs to get there and photograph the rest of the grave, besides the footstone.

Thanks @Weedygarden Those are some good links... When my dad researched families in that cemetary he ran into the two Henrys'. Years ago a lady from Coosa AL called me several times. She was trying to clarify church records in and around Coosa.

I had to ask my dad about it again this morning. He thinks there are actually two Henry's. One came from South Carolina, the first one from Blount county Tennessee. They were never in Coosa at the same time but only missed each other by a couple of years. However, the first Henry left married daughters behind and a couple of sons who then met the new Henry and his offspring.

I have a copy of the 1850 Hatchet Creek census (coosa). By then we are talking about grandchildren of both Henry's.

I was living in CA and met a guy at a hospital (working on a CT). He/wife lived in Seattle but her people came from Arkansas... Her people also had ties to Hatchet Creek/Coosa and the census records. This was sometime around '96/'97. I sent all this info to my dad in AL

With data this old it is all "Fuzzy"

Also dad showed me evidence this morning that the first henry was actually a scout/guide for Jackson at the Battle of Horse Shoe Bend (Coosa county). This evidence was a document signed by Jackson and was passed down by Henry himself to offspring in Fayette co al. The first Henry's first wife died (martha George). It's thought thats why he left Coosa and started a new family is west AL. All totaled he had over 20 children.

Last edited:
Thanks @Weedygarden Those are some good links... When my dad researched families in that cemetary he ran into the two Henrys'. Years ago a lady from Coosa AL called me several times. She was trying to clarify church records in and around Coosa.

I had to ask my dad about it again this morning. He thinks there are actually two Henry's. One came from South Carolina, the first one from Blount county Tennessee. They were never in Coosa at the same time but only missed each other by a couple of years. However, the first Henry left married daughters behind and a couple of sons who then met the new Henry and his offspring.

I have a copy of the 1850 Hatchet Creek census (coosa). By then we are talking about grandchildren of both Henry's.

I was living in CA and met a guy at a hospital (working on a CT). He/wife lived in Seattle but her people came from Arkansas... Her people also had ties to Hatchet Creek/Coosa and the census records. This was sometime around '96/'97. I sent all this info to my dad in AL

With data this old it is all "Fuzzy"

Also dad showed me evidence this morning that the first henry was actually a scout/guide for Jackson at the Battle of Horse Shoe Bend (Coosa county). This evidence was a document signed by Jackson and was passed down by Henry himself to offspring in Fayette co al. The first Henry's first wife died (martha George). It's thought thats why he left Coosa and started a new family is west AL. All totaled he had over 20 children.

The documentation of the Henry who was a scout/guide could be added onto his memorial.

Probably the problem is that someone has the two men's dates mixed up for them on their memorials. It is highly unlikely that they were born and died the same years, but stuff does happen. Your dad may have the correct information and could help get it straightened out. It would be interesting to get them sorted out and know which one is which and to have the correct dates on them. If you become a member of Find a Grave (it's free) you can suggest edits. You can suggest corrected dates and you can add information, photos, and other relevant information, as has been done for the ones I shared.

Since I scan and share anything I get, people keep sending me packages of family history stuff. It is great to know that in the future, others won't be as stuck as I have been searching for photos of people who were once wealthy, but for whom there is not one photograph available. I have also gone through Find a Grave and connected anyone and everyone I can find that is related to me. I can click through many people who are now connected for future interest.

Last edited:
Another oddity I'm trying to trace... a girls name "Buna Vista". I found 4 women born between 1900 and 1915 with this first name. I thought it was a mis-spelling of the spanish term "Buena Vista" and somehow came from the Spanish american war which started in 1898 (maybe an article about a town or battle). Then I noticed this in photos I took yesterday... Buna Vista Logan born 1885. She was 29 when she died, probably from child birth which was so common in those days.

So much for my theory... It still leaves the puzzle of where such a strange name came from. It's older than the spanish/american war.

Buna Vista Logan_v1.jpg

@Sentry18 I checked the headstone of Wilburn Savage after lunch today... There IS a tiny star in the middle of the bigger star on the headstone. Also, covered by flowers was a stone I didn't see yesterday... a Savage who died in 1930 of the right age to be Wilburn's father or uncle... Also, from my dads notes was a woman I knew when I was a child. She gave out the best candied apples on Halloween. I loved stopping at her house (along with every kid in the area). Her maiden name was Savage and she was the right age to have been a sister to Wilburn but she is buried with her husbands people 14 miles away.

No more news on Lonnie T. Walker. My curiosity is up, going to make some calls...

@Weedygarden more news on Henry from dads notes. His second wife was Mary A Smith. He also had an older brother named James Ellis Logan who also came to Coosa County and then Fayette County (I remember sitting on the foundation stones of his home when hunting as a child.) He came from Blount county TN and was 16 years older than Henry.

Henry must have revered him. Many of Henry's off spring (children/grandchildren) had the name of Ellis or Ella in there names. None of the South Carolina Henry's off spring had a variation of Ellis in there names... Sort of a way to separate two family lines who both began with a man named Henry Logan.

I'm guessing Mary Ella Logan was a granddaughter of Henry and Mary.

ME Logan_v1.jpg

Genealogy can be fascinating it you have the time, a nice winter time hobby... Lots of puzzles to solve.

Last edited:
My biological father was coroner for several years. During his tenure he had cause to exhume a few bodies. The cemetery is built in a muskeg, a peat bog. Not even once was he able to find the right body. That was when I decided on cremation.

@Weedygarden Ha! Pictures I took yesterday... Here is Henry Logan's original headstone/inscription like the one you posted. the angle is different. I remember when it was all legible. The other flat stone in the ground is at the foot of his grave...

Also the article about L.T. Walker. He is listed as the street car conductor when killed in Birmingham. The Lonnie T Walker I mentioned on only 18 when he died... I sort of doubt they are the same person... I doubt 18yrolds were train conductors, maybe early 20's.

Henry Logan (3)_v1.jpg

Last edited:
Also the article about L.T. Walker. He is listed as the street car conductor when killed in Birmingham. The Lonnie T Walker I mentioned on only 18 when he died... I sort of doubt they are the same person... I doubt 18yrolds were train conductors, maybe early 20's.
I thought about this as well. I think back then family men were more likely to get certain jobs than younger men.

Wife has gotten into researching our ancestry the last few years. She uses Find a Grave at times and has been sucessful locating different people. We found one of my Great Great Great grandfathers graves. It isn't maintained any longer and is in mostly poor condition. Sad to see. But after more research found out that that area was his property, over 200 acres which was a large plot around here.
We also took a trip with one of my elderly Aunts and Uncles years ago and the Uncle showed us a even older cemetary where my Great Great Grandmother is buried. It to hasn't been maintained in years. I hope to spend sometime this winter at least running a weed eater and trying to remove some debris. It won't amount to much,but I feel like it's something I need to do to honor my ancestors.

Wife has gotten into researching our ancestry the last few years. She uses Find a Grave at times and has been sucessful locating different people. We found one of my Great Great Great grandfathers graves. It isn't maintained any longer and is in mostly poor condition. Sad to see. But after more research found out that that area was his property, over 200 acres which was a large plot around here.
We also took a trip with one of my elderly Aunts and Uncles years ago and the Uncle showed us a even older cemetary where my Great Great Grandmother is buried. It to hasn't been maintained in years. I hope to spend sometime this winter at least running a weed eater and trying to remove some debris. It won't amount to much,but I feel like it's something I need to do to honor my ancestors.
Ancestry is addictive. I mentioned something to one of my cousins who is interested, and he cursed me because he got back on it.

I am currently searching through Czech records from 1680 forward, looking for grandparents. The records are difficult to decipher. They are written in Latin in a script that is a big challenge to me. One name starts with a W, so I am always looking for W that when searching the records. I have much research done from the 1800's and 1900's and some for the last half of the 1700's. Most records only go back to the late 1600's for Bohemia, now Czechia. It makes me bleary eyed to search them for any length of time.

It is very addictive. Wife really enjoy's it when she has time or just isn't feeling like doing anything else. She has traced one branch of my family into Scotland into the 1500's. One of the graves I mentioned earlier came here from Scotland along with his father. But it is certainly a challenge to line up and verify that some is truely who you think it is. Certain names are common, even within a family.

The only time I really messed with it was the mid 90's and then I was trying to help dad fill in some blanks. I found some ancestry software that really helped him. It was interesting but I never had much extra time. The last couple of days have been interesting. For me it's like a big puzzle, trying to fill in the blanks.

The lesson from years ago... if you find info on a person from 10 people... They have 10 different versions and no 2 match.

Things may be different now.

Certain names are common, even within a family.
Yes, yes, yes! One of my cousins, whom I have never met, posted online, in a genealogy group, introducing himself to a person with the same name, which is not a common name. Hi John Smith, this is John Smith. I am looking for my grandfather, John Smith. I have 10 men who have the same name, John same last name. Then Mary is the common female name. I keep them straight by always posting their birth and death years behind their name John Smith (1818-1896). The longer I work with names and relationships, the easier it gets to keep track of who is who.

A friend tried to trace his ancestors and didn't have much luck. Then a distant relative contacted him and he found out his Great Great Grandpa had changed the spelling of his last name. The woman that contacted him had all the record to the 1500s.
My Uncles dad changed the spelling of his last name right after he got married and it really ticked off the rest of the family. They were all Dutch.
A family friend got divorced and when she remarried she informed her kids from the first marriage that they were now going to use her new husbands last name. No paperwork, nothing legal she just changes their name. Her Grand kids had no idea until they were grown adults.
That would make tracing the line impossible. They do know what the last name was originally but they still go by the newer last name.

Last edited:
Oh this is fun! I've done quite a bit of my ancestry. One puzzle was that my great great Gma had 3 different "mother's maiden names." Huh? Took a while but figured it out. #1 her real mother- died when my gggma was 2-3 (child birth?). That was at the beginning of the Civil War so kids went to live with aunt and uncle(name #2) until dad returned from the war then remarried step-mom (name #3.). I have letters between my gggma and her aunt that I cherish.
The other quirky bit I found was Joseph Jr. died at 4-5 years old so next baby boy born was Joseph Jr (again!). I thought that one a little intriguing- must have been important to have the namesake.

Oh this is fun! I've done quite a bit of my ancestry. One puzzle was that my great great Gma had 3 different "mother's maiden names." Huh? Took a while but figured it out. #1 her real mother- died when my gggma was 2-3 (child birth?). That was at the beginning of the Civil War so kids went to live with aunt and uncle(name #2) until dad returned from the war then remarried step-mom (name #3.). I have letters between my gggma and her aunt that I cherish.
The other quirky bit I found was Joseph Jr. died at 4-5 years old so next baby boy born was Joseph Jr (again!). I thought that one a little intriguing- must have been important to have the namesake.
This was fairly common a century or more ago.

If you ever watch the TV show "The Incredible Dr. Pol" his first name is Jan, he has a brother named Jan. That must have been confusing as kids.
Must be a Dutch thing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Incredible_Dr._Pol

My wife had an older sister that died as a child. The family couldn't afford a headstone so there was just a marker that said Baby.
It always bothered my MIL and my wife. So 50 years later my wife ordered a headstone and had it placed on the grave in Texas. That was one of the things my MIL wanted done before she died. Made my MIL cry when she saw the picture but it made her feel better knowing her daughter had a proper marker.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back