Healthier or different ingredients

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patchouli

Gatekeeper
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In dishes where you're throwing it all together, to saute or bake, etc.
I'm not doing well with cheeses and dairy products, my cohorts are tiring of tomato sauce based. Oh, eggs and cream of whatever soups are not favored here either.
What other liquidy hold it together ingredients do you use?
Coconut milk, with what else?
Sesame butter?
Curry sauces?
Where's @Justin76 ? Isn't he a chef?

In dishes where you're throwing it all together, to saute or bake, etc.
I'm not doing well with cheeses and dairy products, my cohorts are tiring of tomato sauce based. Oh, eggs and cream of whatever soups are not favored here either.
What other liquidy hold it together ingredients do you use?
Coconut milk, with what else?
Sesame butter?
Curry sauces?
Where's @Justin76 ? Isn't he a chef?

Patch it has been decades since we drank milk, but still have butter and at times cheese and buttermilk now and then for biscuits.
We use Almond, coconut and soy milks fro cereal and some baking like pan cakes .

Yeah, we like using spicy taco or chili seasoning. Also like sesame and soy together. There are plenty of good combos on Pinterest.
I'd like to use more of the India seasonings and recipes too.

Toasted sesame oil is the bomb! Asian dishes are really simple to cook. I posted a book by Jet Tila... 101 Asian dishes... In the Library... His book is so easy to follow. I ad lib his recipes all the time, make my own changes with what I have. With a few simple Asian spices and liquids it's easy to whip up soups, rice dishes, fried rice, stir fry cabbage, stir fry strip steak and cabbage. Left over rice from say... beef tips and rice makes great fried rice the next day. Actually the best fried rice... cook the rice 24 hours before frying it... So, if you have left over rice, fried rice is on the menu the next day.

I use a lot of broth, I keep beef, chicken and vegetable broth well stocked in my panty. Asian dishes are a great change of pace from regular american fare. Whats not readily available at the market can be gotten from the big internet box store.

You need soy sauce, toasted sesame oil, fish sauce, oyster sauce, corn starch, the 3 types of broth, Rice wine vinegar, red wine vinegar, keep cabbage, red pepper flakes and rice around... add your choice of protein and there are 30 to 40 different Asian meals that are easy to prepare. (I also keep mushrooms and green onions in the fridge)

I did the standard american fare for years, the acid in cooked tomatoes dishes really disagrees with me. This really limited me further. (I miss spaghetti)

Adding a few Asian dishes greatly expanded what I can cook for dinner on any given day. It really breaks up the monotony.

Just a thought! :)

Last edited:
Perfect! Love Asian dishes and most flavorings but steer away from eating much of it fried or sauteed in oil these days.
I lean toward the coconut, lime, lemongrass side of Asia.
Also like Greek, Mediterranean, and Jamaican dishes.
I love spaghetti but lasagna is too heavy and I too am weary of traditional American fare.

I use a lot of vegetable broth. Added to some lean meats and lots of veggies in a crockpot. If I want to thicken it, add a little flour and water paste, or cornstarch and water paste. I make my own veg broth with dehydrated veggies.
I have read about people saving peelings and discarded parts of veggies and making vegetable broth with that. A bag in the freezer where you collect those until you have enough to make a pot of broth is one strategy.

People do the same with chicken bones and discarded parts.

I love spaghetti but lasagna is too heavy and I too am weary of traditional American fare.
I don't believe you are alone in this. I see much interest in Asian food, and there are more and more options these days. Chinese food was once THE Asian food go to, but now Thai is very popular, along with Vietnamese, Japanese, Korean, Filipino, Indian, Laotian and something called Asian Fusion.

Ahem. Cream of mushroom canned soup, with a third or half of the standard dilution. Goes fair to poor with anything - but hey, its a change.

I keep a few cans of cream of mushroom around, good stuff. I keep a few can of chicken noodle soup also. To the chicken noodle I sometimes add chinese 5 spice, oyster sauce and soy sauce... Instant Asian chicken noodle soup!

Last edited:
Chopped up Bar-S spicy hot dogs and add to the water when making beef ramen noodle soup. It will make you sweat but tastes great.
This recipe has the advantage - if the homesteader is aware - of utilizing parts of hog and chicken that our ancestors ate with knowledge and in some cases gusto, but moderns are leery of. A kind of over-prepared preparation for SHTF. :woo hoo:

Picky about my hotdogs.
Have to be Hebrew National.

I always buy hebrew national too... best dog going!

So do we. But if another beef name brand hot dog is on sale we will buy them and freeze them for toppings or flavor in rice recipes. But always buy several packs to freeze of Hebrews Nationals if on sale to freeze.

I'm going to try a new type of flour for baking.
We have lots of Black beauty Eggplants so will dehydrate and grind them up.
I know some people use acorns for flour and rice, etc,etc,etc,. Very nutritous and plenty of them from our 7 plants. We don't even eat them but thought I grow some but seeded too many.

Latest posts

Back