Hello from Central AL

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BirdDogGal

Friend
Neighbor
Hey Everybody, just about to make the jump from intensive backyard gardening in the suburbs to homesteading in rural AL outside of Birmingham and I'll be bringing my family of 5 along for the ride! I have experience with chickens, horses, my trusty bird dog, and gardening. I've been planning my dream garden/orchard for too long! I'm looking forward to restarting a flock of chickens and focusing more on turkeys this go around. I have one kiddo that wants pigs. Husband has experience with those suckers so maybe. I'm gonna need some help, especially with construction advice and planning.

dancing chicken

Last edited:
Welcome from Alaska! You will love your new lifestyle. You will always have plenty to do!

Welcome to the forum from "The Great State of Alaska".

Welcome from rural North Florida.
My wife and I left big city life in 1995, and moved to a homestead on a dead end dirt road six miles outside a one stop light town.
I spent several 8 week periods in the early 90's with Georgia Pacific Distribution Division helping to move all their stock from an old warehouse in Birmingham to a brand new facility in Midfield.
Beautiful countryside. I was given a rental car, and on weekends toured around. Up near Cullman looked like a nice place to live.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome from an outpost in S.W. Oregon, the only thing I can say about pigs is seeing how things are going at our neighbor just west of us, they have a lot of flies and I can't believe how many rats are showing up, our cat has probably killed at least three and so far I've seen four in our chicken coop, never in all the years has there ever been rats in the coop, we've had wood rats around but never in with the chickens.

Latest posts

Back