Hello from central Texas

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbjoker

Friend
Neighbor
So I bought a house last year in a subdivision.... I converted about 300 sq ft of my backyard into a garden. I planted my 1st crop the Friday before Christmas, and it had already started sprouting before Christmas. My first crop is wheat, and I plan on making my own flour after harvest. I am trying to become more self sufficient. I have seeds for vegetables and some melons that I plan on growing after I harvest the wheat along with a small amount of herbs.

Welcome from Alaska!

welcome from the land of ice and snow, lots of good people here, and I am not THAT off, come on kids

Welcome from Colorado.
There was a suggestion by another member a while ago about how difficult it is to grow wheat in your yard to produce enough to sustain a family. The challenge is in plowing, planting, harvesting with limited equipment. The suggestion was that you can buy wheat and store it so much easier than growing it. (That is true of many things though, isn't it?) You can purchase it from a few sources, such as the LDS Bishop's storehouse. A 25 pound bag of wheat is not expensive and fits into a 5 gallon bucket. The suggestion at the time was it is easier to grow potatoes to sustain a family than wheat. The wheat can last for centuries if stored correctly. Just a thought for you!

I don't see any difference with our family and digestive issues. But I don't use straight up ground winter wheat berries. I have white berries stored, pastry berries, wheat/white berries, and winter red berries. Cut the white with the wheat and it tastes better. When buying bread, we buy stuff like Dave's Bread which is a pretty heavy bread.

Hello and welcome from S.W. Oregon, we lived in the Pampa, TX area for less than a year, we brought a 50 pound bag of hard red winter wheat from that area and one year I planted about a 1/2 acre of it in our lower field, it was growing great until a neighbor' cow got into it and I took out all the plants, they never got heads but probably would have. I may still have some seed left somewhere around here, if I ever find them I might try growing a small amount.

Welcome from Eastern Missouri. Good to have you with us.

Latest posts

Back