Hello from Central Texas

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eli

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Hello, Looking to make friends and learn from more experienced homesteaders. We were almost off grid energy wise up north. We didn't really have enough space or freedom from restrictions there though. Moved onto raw land last week and boondocking for now while building up. I'm interested in prepping a bit, but first we've got to build. We want to model our home after the earthships in New Mexico. Mainly, I'd like for us to be self-sufficient.

A warm 43 degree above welcome from Alaska.

Hello, Looking to make friends and learn from more experienced homesteaders. We were almost off grid energy wise up north. We didn't really have enough space or freedom from restrictions there though. Moved onto raw land last week and boondocking for now while building up. I'm interested in prepping a bit, but first we've got to build. We want to model our home after the earthships in New Mexico. Mainly, I'd like for us to be self-sufficient.
What is your current source of power?

What is your current source of power?
At the moment a few solar panels on my rv and my trucks power outlet. I don't have an inverter strong enough to do much with my batteries aside power a laptop for some offline gaming.. Generator is being fussy and I haven't been able to figure it out. Having it repaired but it could take weeks. Hopefully before the heat sets in. My water source is 60 gal in my tanks and a pond! Currently it's a mad dash to dig a foundation for water tanks and get a delivery. So right now I am camping lol. We are going to hook up water and power but that takes time. Not worth paying rent in two places. Internet is one bar on my cellphone. Lots to work out! If the generator wasn't too big for me to lift I'd dig into it more. Being in a tin can (rv) I'm not gonna risk waiting. Will probably invest in fixing an old one that needs a new choke and rip cord for a back up.

We had a greenhouse, full solar system, solar hot water, and a wood stove up north. Had to fight the town over the greenhouse (and it was a very nice looking one). Believe it or not we also had to battle to have a wood pile (in backyard!) and garden food. Don't get me started on the rooster we could never own... we only used a little power in the winter and more than broke even selling it back in the summer. So far the sun is a bit stronger here even in the winter.

I've lived off grid in this rv in below freezing. It's nice to be on my own land where I can really get down to insulating it how I want and running a genie. First water, power, and a shooting range.

Lol sorry for the novel, feeling a bit excited, nervous, and all sorts of sore muscles! It's nice to have a place to talk about this stuff. Burb friends just don't get it. I had to cancel plans due to a freeze and they're like, well just drain your tanks and come out. Absolutely NOT! Are you going to fill them? I need good weather for a delivery to even come out here, and tanks set to receive! Still working on getting the water from tanks to rvs.

Welcome from Kansas. I've been through those earthships a number of times.

What are your thoughts on them? We want to do something based off their concept. More geo tubes for cooling for sure. Going with a more circular design. We do have to get out to New Mexico for an internship too if possible before we start. Having lived in an rv I'm going to boost the power situation quite a bit. Also not sure how much I want pex involved in my life ever again!

The biggest plus are the geotubes. Temp control was impressive! As far as design and beauty went, they did alot with glass bottle insets, but sometimes the bottoms broke out, the part facing the outside in the wall. And I had no idea how they could replace it. I liked the indoor greenhouse part, but felt it was way too small of an area in the ones we looked at. I would design one alot bigger than that. Water is an issue where they are located, and wondered about the water tanks. I always look at a place I see with the thought of how I would like living there. The Santa Fe earthship community didn't seem to have much going on outside the individual earthships, and I'm an outside lover. It'd drive me nuts to spend all that time inside a building. It's been a number of years since I've been back there, and the price of a modest earthship was nuts. I liked the build design, using tires and all that, but could not figure out why it was soooo expensive, except maybe because it's Santa Fe.

The biggest plus are the geotubes. Temp control was impressive! As far as design and beauty went, they did alot with glass bottle insets, but sometimes the bottoms broke out, the part facing the outside in the wall. And I had no idea how they could replace it. I liked the indoor greenhouse part, but felt it was way too small of an area in the ones we looked at. I would design one alot bigger than that. Water is an issue where they are located, and wondered about the water tanks. I always look at a place I see with the thought of how I would like living there. The Santa Fe earthship community didn't seem to have much going on outside the individual earthships, and I'm an outside lover. It'd drive me nuts to spend all that time inside a building. It's been a number of years since I've been back there, and the price of a modest earthship was nuts. I liked the build design, using tires and all that, but could not figure out why it was soooo expensive, except maybe because it's Santa Fe.

We actually found some more extensive cooling tube designs that I think we will want down here in Texas. The goal being to have a cool haven after being outside and working in the heat. Wow I hope Mr Reynolds is still offering internships. Basically you work for them pounding tires and you learn how they do things. I'm not crazy about the glass bottles either. Also want lots of access points in the adobe for maintenance of electrical and plumbing. They were using a lot of RV plumbing and electrical from what I've researched. Not crazy about that either. Here, if we did a greenhouse inside we would have to modify it a lot to survive the summer I think. Looking into shaded stand alone greenhouses. Aiming to build dome structures with intershelters on top. So we may loose most of the angled glass heat in the winter. Nothing a wood stove won't fix?! We actually don't need a building permit here for these. Just need to make sure we do it safely. So we will be working with professionals, but keeping it real simple with the structure.

I bought a book that they put out a while ago about their builds there. That would be a tough internship to do there, seems like you could volunteer for a week and learn what you need to know with being there and the books that they've put out. I think that they're a cool idea, but would do tweaking to the design like you mentioned.

Welcome from the front range of Colorado. I've been to Taos and Santa Fe, numerous times, but never went to see the earthships. I think the design is great for the Southwest, and there is little expense building them, but the work is where it will take time.

I bought a book that they put out a while ago about their builds there. That would be a tough internship to do there, seems like you could volunteer for a week and learn what you need to know with being there and the books that they've put out. I think that they're a cool idea, but would do tweaking to the design like you mentioned.
Yeah we do have their book as well. They also sell buildings plans. The hard part is finding a contractor that will work with us. We need to be frugal, so want to do a lot of the labor ourselves. Still scheming :). Will need to get a copy of Autocad I think... the free software just doesn't seem decent. Just to have a concept to show a professional our ideas and work together. But this is definitely getting ahead of myself. Let's see how we do with a shed. 😅

Welcome from a 4th generation Minnesotan where it is a balmy 25º this morning and 2 feet of accumulated winter snow on the ground.

We have tons of family in Texas and visit there often.

Remember the Alamo
1646577392720.png

Welcome from the front range of Colorado. I've been to Taos and Santa Fe, numerous times, but never went to see the earthships. I think the design is great for the Southwest, and there is little expense building them, but the work is where it will take time.

Seeing the Colorado River get a little low around here definitely has us sold on the rain collection part of it. It's going to be I think a lifelong project for me. Just keep swimming...swimming...swimming. one step at a time. It took us years to get things not even off grid up north. But every back up we get set up is another step.

Seeing the Colorado River get a little low around here definitely has us sold on the rain collection part of it. It's going to be I think a lifelong project for me. Just keep swimming...swimming...swimming. one step at a time. It took us years to get things not even off grid up north. But every back up we get set up is another step.
Interesting thought. Water storage has been on my mind. I have barrels that I need to get set up. I have most of what I need to do it, just need to get it done. Of all the things, water is the most important, after shelter. I have 5 gallon jugs of water, but always want more.

Latest posts

Back