Hello from Central Texas

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yikes! I do not miss the cold! I already know it's going to be rough adjustment to the heat down here. Hopefully will have power sorted out by then. I know what to do to keep things warm. Stressful as it can be. Lots to learn on keeping cool!

Welcome from a 4th generation Minnesotan where it is a balmy 25º this morning and 2 feet of accumulated winter snow on the ground.

We have tons of family in Texas and visit there often.

Remember the Alamo
View attachment 81758

Interesting thought. Water storage has been on my mind. I have barrels that I need to get set up. I have most of what I need to do it, just need to get it done. Of all the things, water is the most important, after shelter. I have 5 gallon jugs of water, but always want more.

I Have a 550 gal tank already just need to sort a few plumbing fixtures and get a nice bed for it set up. Then buying a 1750 gal tank, foundations about halfway done. For me just using a little water pump to fill an rv atm. Eventually we will have these set up for collection. I dont entirely trust wells around here. We will give a wet well a go for watering animals and plants. Not sure if we will find water or how long it will last. I've been down here since November and watched some ponds drying out in the hill country. Water is my main focus atm. I can make 60 gal last while I'm not working a 9-5 and can be a bit scruffy. It's just not a nice feeling to worry about if I can shower or not. Or deciding to cook something else because I don't want to waste the water on clean up. Washing dishes with a spray bottle currently :confused:Thankfully our pond is looking good right now.

Welcome from Alaska!

Warm welcome from out in the woods of S.W. Oregon, we have a solar charged 1025 amp-hour battery emergency backup system we can run on if we loose the grid. Since we moved here we've had a gravity fed water system, but due to a long term drought in this area our spring overflow is half of what it used to be, we try to make the best out of what water we get, the overflow from filling our cistern at the top of our property goes down to a 1,100 gallon tank just above the garden and the overflow from it takes care of chicken watering and apple trees.

Warm welcome from out in the woods of S.W. Oregon, we have a solar charged 1025 amp-hour battery emergency backup system we can run on if we loose the grid. Since we moved here we've had a gravity fed water system, but due to a long term drought in this area our spring overflow is half of what it used to be, we try to make the best out of what water we get, the overflow from filling our cistern at the top of our property goes down to a 1,100 gallon tank just above the garden and the overflow from it takes care of chicken watering and apple trees.
I have seen the gravity systems and wish we had enough differences in elevation here. Maybe it's in the cards in the far future one day. It would be nice to not have to use power for water one day.

Reactions: Neb

Latest posts

Back