Hello from East Kentucky!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tristan Ranatza

New Friend
Neighbor
A bit about myself...
I grew up on a farm in very south Lousiana right on the Mississippi River delta. My family grew and sold tomatoes, eggplant, and squash, and raised chickens, ducks, and horses. I think they still have a market stand to this day down in Plaquemines parish. I grew up hunting and fishing and loving nature for everything it gave. After a few years of being on my own and getting married hurricane Katrina hit, we evacuated of course, but couldn't get back to our house for over a month. When we got back we were blessed with no flood damage to our house. This event however made me think of what it would be like raising a family in an area that was frequented by hurricanes and prone to flooding. Both my wife and I decided to move to San Antonio Texas to be closer to her family and be safe from most natural disasters. After trying to homestead there, which was very difficult because of months of 100+ degree heat and most of the growing season having drought-like conditions we decided to move out and go to a part of the country that had 4 seasons, hills, and a good political climate. We ended up in East Kentucky on almost 40 acres most of which is covered in hardwoods.

As for this site, I would like to learn about things I don't know a lot about, advise on things I do know a lot about, and have fun conversations with like-minded folks.

Welcome from Alaska! Prior to coming up here I spent 4 years about three hours up river from New Orleans. The aftermath of Katrina caused us to look north.

Sounds like you have landed in a nice place to thrive!

A bit about myself...
I grew up on a farm in very south Lousiana right on the Mississippi River delta. My family grew and sold tomatoes, eggplant, and squash, and raised chickens, ducks, and horses. I think they still have a market stand to this day down in Plaquemines parish. I grew up hunting and fishing and loving nature for everything it gave. After a few years of being on my own and getting married hurricane Katrina hit, we evacuated of course, but couldn't get back to our house for over a month. When we got back we were blessed with no flood damage to our house. This event however made me think of what it would be like raising a family in an area that was frequented by hurricanes and prone to flooding. Both my wife and I decided to move to San Antonio Texas to be closer to her family and be safe from most natural disasters. After trying to homestead there, which was very difficult because of months of 100+ degree heat and most of the growing season having drought-like conditions we decided to move out and go to a part of the country that had 4 seasons, hills, and a good political climate. We ended up in East Kentucky on almost 40 acres most of which is covered in hardwoods.

As for this site, I would like to learn about things I don't know a lot about, advise on things I do know a lot about, and have fun conversations with like-minded folks.
Welcome from NH.

Latest posts

Back