Hello from Indiana ! ‍

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jessica

Friend
Neighbor
Hi everyone ! New to the group and to homesteading, but I'm very excited to be here ! I'm eager to hear all your tips and tricks (especially for beginners like me ) A little about myself... well I'm about to turn 30 in March. I'm the mother of a 3 year old beautiful little wild child named Lilly. She is the best garden assistant I could ask for ! (When she's not over zealously "watering" (drowning) the flowers ha ha ha) We have an indoor cat known as Ty (short for tye dye) as well as 6 barn cats that I've come to accept and love . We also have a very fat rabbit named Madie who spends her days eating and having full run of my sun porch . Over the summer I acquired my first 2 chickens . My daughter named them Bocky and Goldie. They were raised from chicks in a small mobile home bathroom and when I became aware of their situation I adopted them . They have their own small barn with an attached outdoor area . They roam the yard during the day and go in at night . I'm in love with those birds they come when called, sit with me outside while I read, and lay so many eggs it's ridiculous! This summer I plan to start my first big garden and possibly add a goat to our small farm. I also want to compost ! Anyways it's very nice to meet y'all ! I look forward to making some friends!

Welcome from north of the 49th. There are fine folks here ... everyone from total noobs to grizzled old veterans. Lots of wisdom and a little leg pulling. Pull up a rocker here on the porch and set a spell

Welcome Jessica, from Oregon!!! Do you sew? Come on over to the sewing and quilting forum!!! Don't be shy - we love beginners!!!

I actually just got my first sewing machine ! Still haven't used it yet, but I'm excited ! Any ideas for a first project ?

Welcome Jessica. :green man:

Pull up a stump and sit a spell. :)

This summer I plan to start my first big garden and possibly add a goat to our small farm.

Before you add a goat, save yourself a lot of headaches and build a good, sturdy pen. Goats are notorious escape artists. Now how would I know that? :rolleyes:

Another thing. Goats are very social critters. You should really have at least 2. One will find a way to get into all kinds of mischief.

Happy homesteading. :)

Before you add a goat, save yourself a lot of headaches and build a good, sturdy pen. Goats are notorious escape artists. Now how would I know that? :rolleyes:

Another thing. Goats are very social critters. You should really have at least 2. One will find a way to get into all kinds of mischief.

Well we actually already have a very nice pen set up just need a few animals to fill it. I originally built it to house a pig but after meeting the pig I realized he was extremely aggressive . So two goats would fit well ! I didn't even think about the goat needing a friend to hang out with ! Nice tip thank you ! And since you seem to know a bit about the subject, is there a particular breed that I should look for ?

Here's the stump. It's kinda worn cause we share with everyone!
20180116_161228.jpg

Welcome to the group Jessica! I love the fact that you are jumping into the homestead lifestyle while your still young and your little daughter will grow up doing and learning too. One thing I would also suggest with goats. Get them while they are young. . . that way they are still growing up with you and your daughter and they just tend to get used to you better. Depending on how they were handled before, they maybe stand offish for awhile. All of mine are around grandbaby, but the older ones do tend to run when they see her. Shes only 2. The babies and ones we had last year like to play with her though. The breed would kind of depend what you are going to do with them. If for dairy I would suggest Saanan or Nubian. We do Boer around here for meat.

Latest posts

Back