hello from king county Washington

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great points Peanut. I was 17 when I did delayed enlistment Nov of my Senior year during Desert Shield. I left for boot a month after graduation, my first wake up there was the 4th of July, 1991 to start my 5 year enlistment.

If you were my daughter I'd definitely suggest the Navy, Air Force or even this new Space Force gig. Probably the AF as most of their gigs are like a 9 to 5, boot camp is a joke and overall their day to day isn't filled with much 'military'ish' stuff other than uniforms and salutes. AF has the best barracks, chow and bases (my first duty station was at the Naval Air Facility Washington DC which was on Andrews AF base. So I saw first hand. Our Navy barracks were from WW2 and when I was there in 92 the AF was getting ready to tear down their "dorms" from the late 70's as they didn't meet AF standards. Our buildings were literately cracking in two. Lots of high tech jobs there like electronics and cyber security but also things like security police.

On the issues with the ground you have available, I'd suggest you look into aquaculture/ hydroponics especially something like Kratky method. All sort of growing and no dirt needed. This guy is my favorite podcaster, I fell off listening the last year thru all this covid BS but Jack and his shows are an amazing breadth of knowledge. He experiments with things and sees what does and doesn't work. I think you will also find he's got excellent topics to help with 'adulting'. Everything from cooking, gardening, fishing, finances, hunting to cryptocurrency. and a little closer home to you, I know he said growing up if they had diagnosed him he likely would have been listed as having Aspergers Syndrome which now they don't diagnose, they just call it high functioning on the spectrum I believe, so he has things and talks about things that might help you with the autisim.

Hydroponics for Preppers - Epi-171 - TSP Rewind

Episode-2626- Simple, Fast and Easy Kratky Hydroponics for Growing Food

While I normally agree with military service I cannot in good conscience suggest anyone step closer to the Federal Government right now. Sorry

Welcome to H&C, while I agree with the thoughts on independence, if you move out of your parents nest, you are going to cripple your ability to save money, and slow your progress a lot. realizing that the resources that you have are very important is key. You have joined one of the friendliest and helpful forums on the internet, There are NO dumb questions, and I would encourage you to learn foraging and local survival skills as much as you can, these can not only be handy and life saving, but make for a lot more functional life process, often changing "oh no what do now? to how can I make things more comfortable?"

Latest posts

Back