Hello from Michigan

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michiganmeg

Friend
Neighbor
I'm FINALLY getting around to my lifelong dream of country living at the age of 45 :) I've been a city (or at least small-town) dweller almost all my life. Early in my first marriage I tried to convince my then-husband to chuck it all and move off-grid, but it never happened, and we raised our kids in town. I got divorced at 40 and started dreaming of chickens and trees, and last year finally made it happen. I'm now remarried and live in the country on 20 acres, and my new husband and I are trying to figure out what we want our middle-aged version of 'homesteading' to look like. Still so much I don't know but I'm glad to be here to learn from all of you!

Great to have you here. Are you in the UP or lower MI? And good luck on your land. What type of home do you have to start with?

We live in southern Michigan but also have property in the UP - I was born up there & have always had an attachment to it, which my husband shares! We think we will likely return for good one day, but I still have a couple of kids to get through high school downstate first.

My new husband and I just got married last month, and the kids and I moved into his newer-build craftsman house on 20 acres. Until last month my kids and I were living in a little cape cod house on 5 acres, right around the corner from here (less than 2 minutes drive.) That's where the chickens are and our shop building where my husband stores his tractors, works on projects, etc, and I have an office for my work in there (I'm a writer.) So we go back and forth between the two properties right now and are Airbnb-ing the house I used to live in. The 20 acres is a mix of forest and grasses with a nice pond my husband put in and some fruit trees but not much else. It's kind of a blank slate right now and we aren't sure whether we want to move the poultry over or keep it at the old property where we're already set up for it - and so far, the airbnb guests seem to like being there? I keep trying to remind myself that we have time and don't have to have it all figured out in one summer :)

Welcome from Alaska!

Great to know you are a Yooper. I lived in Munising MI next to the interior lighthouse in 1972/73. I still have very good memories of that place.. Even if I was a Southern girl and I had to buy proper UP clothing for winter.
That's where I was born! I wasn't around yet when you were up there, but my family would have been there when you were. It's a beautiful place.

Howdy from out here in WA.
1687908041031.png

Welcome from New York!

WELCOME! I’m 67 and just started country living in February. We have 7.5 acres in Winchester, Oklahoma. That’s several miles south of Tulsa. Raised my kids in Genoa, Illinois. A farm town but it sure has developed from that. 🥲. I’ve only been married since 2016. I am finally very happy in life.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back