Hello from Michigan

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turtle989

Friend
Neighbor
I was born and raised in Michigan. I met my husband in college and got married after graduation. We moved around for the next 20 years in the Marine Corps. After our daughter graduated from high school we sold our house and purchased one in northern michigan. We bought a rich family's hunting camp (really nice one), with 30 acres. Our plan is to spend the rest of our lives here. Good and/or bad the property is all wooded. Its going to take some work to clear an area for a nice big garden. Plus we have lots of the invasive olive trees. If anyone has ideas about how to get rid of them please let me know. I grew up gardening but have never had one of my own because we moved so much. I'm very excited. I would love to grow just about everything we need. Luckily I have the canning part down already. Thanks for letting me join and I cant wait to learn from everyone!

I was born and raised in Michigan. I met my husband in college and got married after graduation. We moved around for the next 20 years in the Marine Corps. After our daughter graduated from high school we sold our house and purchased one in northern michigan. We bought a rich family's hunting camp (really nice one), with 30 acres. Our plan is to spend the rest of our lives here. Good and/or bad the property is all wooded. Its going to take some work to clear an area for a nice big garden. Plus we have lots of the invasive olive trees. If anyone has ideas about how to get rid of them please let me know. I grew up gardening but have never had one of my own because we moved so much. I'm very excited. I would love to grow just about everything we need. Luckily I have the canning part down already. Thanks for letting me join and I cant wait to learn from everyone!
I understand that olive trees so not like wet roots. I nearly killed one by giving it too much water. So...

A soaker hose?

Ben

Hello and welcome from S.W. Oregon. Are the olive trees Russian olives, if so they are probably ornamental that get out of hand and are extremely invasive, the ones I've seen usually don't have very big trunks and grow in large groups kind of like aspen, scrub willow or alder. I've heard that they spread rapidly and that's why they are considered invasive.

Welcome from Alaska! Congratulations on your new home.

Welcome! I grew up in southern Michigan but have been in SoCal for the last 20 years. We have tons of olives trees here (I am allergic to them) and as mentioned earlier, they are very specific to their growing conditions....they prefer sandy, well draining soil so the wetter the better if you want to get rid of them. You might also want to try raised bed gardening while you deal with the abundance of trees. Just make sure the beds are at least 12 inches deep and only make them as wide as you can reach in the center of them (my widest ones are 4 foot wide). Good luck and have fun

Welcome from NE Florida.
Our property was once part of a large tract of a tree farm. Pulpwood yellow pine grown to make paper.

Tell your husband Semper Fi for me.
My Army Infantry Brigade was on loan to the 3rd Marine Division in Vietnam.

Hello and welcome from S.W. Oregon. Are the olive trees Russian olives, if so they are probably ornamental that get out of hand and are extremely invasive, the ones I've seen usually don't have very big trunks and grow in large groups kind of like aspen, scrub willow or alder. I've heard that they spread rapidly and that's why they are considered invasive.
They are the Russian olive trees and are very invasive and are spreading rapidly here. I have been able to pull them out with my tractor. Im hoping that Im getting enough the roots and they wont resprout.

Welcome! I grew up in southern Michigan but have been in SoCal for the last 20 years. We have tons of olives trees here (I am allergic to them) and as mentioned earlier, they are very specific to their growing conditions....they prefer sandy, well draining soil so the wetter the better if you want to get rid of them. You might also want to try raised bed gardening while you deal with the abundance of trees. Just make sure the beds are at least 12 inches deep and only make them as wide as you can reach in the center of them (my widest ones are 4 foot wide). Good luck and have fun
From all the things Ive read about getting rid of them they have adjusted to any growing conditions. But Im sure you know that most of Michigan soil is sandy. Its going to take me a while but I love being outside and working on my tractor:)

They are the Russian olive trees and are very invasive and are spreading rapidly here. I have been able to pull them out with my tractor. Im hoping that Im getting enough the roots and they wont resprout.
== ==
Even though I am the definition of ...black thumb.. as far as growing plants go.. I have learned, clearing a creeping, invasive bush of most any kind can be controlled by cutting close to the ground, then painting the stubs with Round Up..

Put a can on the end of a broom stick.. Put a small paint brush on another broom stick.. Paint the freshly cut ends of brush with full strength Round Up.. It takes persistence, but you can prevail..

Welcome from South Carolina

Latest posts

Back