Hello from N.E. Tennessee

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I'm new here as of today. i live In the Blue Ridge Mountains, and I'm older the dirt itself. I have no animals except for a German Shepherd, and what runs wild in the bush. I have a small garden patch that I finally improved so as to produce anything. Mountain soil is poor to start with as I live close to the top. I do have a couple peach trees, but what the frost doesn't kill, the tree rats get. I'm continually trying to separate myself from the grid, but do to age and health that's a long road. Thank you to the administrators for allowing me to join this forum.

A warm welcome from Alaska. I started life a little bit east of your place in the mountains of Virginia.

Hello and welcome from S.W. Oregon, you've come to the right place, there are more than a few here that are also older than dirt and have found that prepping at our ages, 78+ for me, can be challenging, I certainly found that out in 2019 when I poured the cassons for the solar array frame I built, 12 sacks of 90 pound Redi-mix weighed far more than I remember they should have, getting older is not for the weak willed, we seem to be able to get things done, just not as fast as we wish we could and not without a few muscles hurting afterwords.

I am late to the welcome wagon, but as they say, better late than never!

Welcome to here, Jay. I have enjoyed reading your posts and look forward to reading more of them.

We have some things in common, including thin mountain soil. It's hard to grow anything besides rocks!

What I did to fix it: I have a habit of chopping weeds of all kinds (just before flowering) and dropping them in my garden as mulch. In the fall, I add leaves. I rake leaves, roughly chop them up (easy to do when thoroughly dry) with a lawnmower, or sometimes my kukuri machete. Just enough so that the leaves don't form an impenetrable slimy layer in my garden. (The job is super fast and easy with a lawnmower: pile the leaves up against the side of a building or stack of hay bales and run the mower over them so that the cut leaves are flung against the side of the barrier instead of all over creation... then I can scoop it us and use as mulch.

Now, after a time of doing this every year, I can grow anything in the black gold that I have made. The thin soil is still there beneath the thin "new" soil I have made, but it is constantly being nourished by the decomposed weeds and leaves.

Latest posts

Back