Hello from North East Pennsylvania

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Peanut,

I called the county co-ordinator for the Penn State Master Gardeners because she has a large piece of land and lots of wildflowers so she should know. Her suggestions;

1 wildflower seeds are tiny so it is easy to over concentrate an area with seeds out of a packet. She suggests getting a clean plastic wide mouth jar, mayonnaise works, and filling it half way with clean dry sand (like play sand from home depot) and adding the seeds. Roll it around to mix it up well and use a hand seed spreader to spread them evenly.

2. Since naturally planted wildflower seeds do not have the luxury of being buried in soil they need to be sown on the surface and not buried. They need sunlight to germinate.

3. Fall planting is best up here in northern PA and she suggests waiting for the weather forecast to predict a few wet days for the best germination. Not that they will germinate in winter but they will settle down onto the soil surface and be hidden from birds by the standing dry grasses nearby.

That’s how she would start out. This doesn’t address poor soil or soil pH but wildflowers are a rough bunch and thrive in many different conditions.

Hope this helps

Rick

Greetings from far north west Canada...

If you look up the term "black thumb" there will be a picture of me..
My Sweetie is a very accomplished gardener, keeper of our wild and tame versions of wild local fruit orchard as it were... She is also a master level canner, preserver...

Latest posts

Back