Hello from Ohio

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hughewil

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Hello,

I unfortunately do not have land in the country at this time (maybe one day) but instead have a 1/4 acre fenced yard in the suburbs. I have a small garden and we have some chickens. I have recently taken up canning and I am getting a dehydrator.

welcome from CO---and good for you using what you got and making it better. canning is great fun and so is dehydrating. got a vacum sealer yet for the storage? if not make sure to get one witht he jar sealer attachment or you can look up Pump-N-Seal, i bet they are still around. non electric way to pump out air from canning jars with dry goods for long term storage. they work VERY well and non electric--runs around $30 i think.

with what youve been doing so far, you are light yearws ahead of alot of people.

how about water supply? rain water cachement? on craigs list i found some water containers that used to have soda in them--food grade,mertal cage around it. got a couple sitting net to my rain gutters to drain right in to it. i rthink they run aorund $100 and totally worth it

sorry im rambling--i was just thinking if i was still livng at my old place in a suburb area that had 1/2 acre, where i had a small garden and a few chickens, water would be on my mind.

God bless and take care---lots of good people and info here

Welcome from Eastern Missouri, and another suburbanite. We can argue urban vs. rural all day long. Advantages and disadvantages to both. No right or wrong, just what is best for you. Good to have you with us.

welcome from CO---and good for you using what you got and making it better. canning is great fun and so is dehydrating. got a vacum sealer yet for the storage? if not make sure to get one witht he jar sealer attachment or you can look up Pump-N-Seal, i bet they are still around. non electric way to pump out air from canning jars with dry goods for long term storage. they work VERY well and non electric--runs around $30 i think.

with what youve been doing so far, you are light yearws ahead of alot of people.

how about water supply? rain water cachement? on craigs list i found some water containers that used to have soda in them--food grade,mertal cage around it. got a couple sitting net to my rain gutters to drain right in to it. i rthink they run aorund $100 and totally worth it

sorry im rambling--i was just thinking if i was still livng at my old place in a suburb area that had 1/2 acre, where i had a small garden and a few chickens, water would be on my mind.

God bless and take care---lots of good people and info here

I did order a vacuum sealer, not sure if it has the mason jar attachment, I just ran across a video on sealing mason jars today. If it doesn't I saw a video using a brake bleeder to seal them I can do that.

No water catchment system, haven't really thought about that since I am on city water.

Welcome from Alaska!!

Grew up in the panhandle, moved to Ohio 22 years ago.
I grew up, and lived over half my life in South Florida. Palm Beach County to be exact.
In the 50's and 60's it was paradise. By the 80's it was crowded with people from other places, "Up North", the Caribbean, elsewhere. The islanders were OK, it was those yankees from the Northeast that made life unbearable for us.
We made our escape in '95, to rural NE Florida, out with the pine trees, cows, and horses.

Hello and welcome from out in the woods of S.W. Oregon. Anything you can do is better than nothing, as things are going at this time, getting property with a home on it is really getting tough, if we had to buy our property now, it would be 10 times the cost of what we paid, something we wouldn't be able to do. Prices are crazy and next to nothing is available , first homes for people are pretty much unobtainable and any land that has a good water supply is being snatched up by hemp or MJ growers. So any land you can get is a very good thing.

Latest posts

Back