Hello, from Pennsylvania!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReadyMom

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Hello. I'm known as 'ReadyMom' and other forums that are prep-related. Been preparing since about 2006, with the H5N1 flu concerns. Lots of background & experience in public preparedness on a local & national level. It's an uphill battle, but I'm still at it. Utilizing the net as an 'educational' homebase more than personal one-on-one, in actual communities, as more social media opportunities seem to be opening up.

Thanks to 'Uncle Joe' for the heads up about this new venue for sharing & learning. -k

Hello. I'm known as 'ReadyMom' and other forums that are prep-related. Been preparing since about 2006, with the H5N1 flu concerns. Lots of background & experience in public preparedness on a local & national level. It's an uphill battle, but I'm still at it. Utilizing the net as an 'educational' homebase more than personal one-on-one, in actual communities, as more social media opportunities seem to be opening up.

Thanks to 'Uncle Joe' for the heads up about this new venue for sharing & learning. -k

Welcome K. Good to see you. :green man:

Pull up a chair and sit a spell. There's a great friendly community developing here.

Welcome from Colorado. I am curious if you were on PS, and if you were, what your user name was?

I would visit once in a while. Didn't post very much. I was never real comfortable, for some reason. User name is always the same, no matter where I go. Since I did so much public outreach for home prepping, I kept the same 'persona' everywhere. I also have my own website for prepping and belong to another prep forum that I consider my 'home base'. I'm taking Uncle Joe's recommendation to come and the 'new & improved' group that is gathering here! Thanks all for the welcome! -k

Started to write this, over in the 'What do you do' thread and then realized it belonged over here, in 'Introductions':

I'm a 'Stay-At-Home' mom, even though our kids are now 24 & 27. Always a mom and hopefully, someday, a Grandmom. Was a pre-school teacher, in my 20's. But that was a looooong time ago. :(

Found out, back in 2006 that I LOVE 'Emergency Preparedness' and, if younger would have gone into that field. I think it's the teacher in me, that has contributed to my ability to educate folks so easily on the subject of prepping. I've developed a lot of techniques, handouts, presentation powerpoints, visuals & displays that seem to work really well. So, my claim is to be an Advocate for Emergency Home Preparedness because that's where I focus my efforts, after my family. (Sometimes before, if I'm truthful :cool: ). My Grandfather was a Fireman, in England, during WWII. Pulled many out of the rubble aftermath from bombs. My brother & his sons are firefighters. Same brother is also a Detective, Fire Chief, former SWAT & Rescue Diver. Other brother was also firefighter for a time. So, it seems that emergencies & preparedness are in my blood and I'm doing what I'm supposed to do.

Started a non-profit, called 'ReadyMoms' Alliance about 10 years ago. (Using my screen name, but it actually mean "moms that are ready" ... think of it like 'Mother's against Drunk Drivers', only we included dads, too, lol!) Non profit is defunct, now, but the I still carry the mission forward myself.

I used to do a LOT of public Emergency Home Prep events. Both locally, and on a state & national level ... attended a lot of national pandemic prep & emergency prep events with Homeland Security, Health & Human Services, CDC and the like. Met a lot of interesting people (with a lot of impressive credentials) who were quite surprised at the grass-roots movement we were starting by our little non-profit, led by a simple everyday Mom who had zero background & training in emergency prep! We were making prepping accessible to the average citizen through our presentations & visual displays. Something they had trouble with (Government was TELLING people to prepare for a pandemic event, but not SHOWING them how. (Seems simple enough concept, right?? :confused: ) That was before prepping became a bit more popular. And before prepping became a concern for multiple reasons (financial, terror, etc., rather than just pandemic). And definitely before all the prep forums came onto the net. Now, I focus on reaching people through forums & social media. I seem to reach a lot more people that way. I've noticed a definite uptick in folks who want to prepare. They are hungry for advice on how to get started. It's still not 'main-stream' & widely accepted, but it has grown in numbers, since 2006-07. I've organized prep-meet up evens in my local state area a couple of times. They are time consuming to pull together. I'd rather focus on the net, now (Remember ... I've aged 10+ years, now :oops: ). -k

I do believe you have got a lot of people here that have the Preparedness mind set,
so we all kinda pitch in and stir things, and seems it all comes out good.

Some been at it for 40 +years , some just starting,
But we all try to learn, and keep helping others to learn.

Glad your here.
Just join in and pass along what you can.

Jim

Latest posts

Back