Hello from South America !!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaun.Kaven

Friend
Neighbor
Hi everyone! So happy to be here and meet like minded homesteaders !!

Im just a suburban kid who studied technology and burned out in my 40’s. In 2015 my wife and I sold everything and bought some land in South America and decided to create a self sustaining property in the Andes mountains.

I’m happy to tell more of my story if anyone wants to hear it, but the short version is that I’ve been mostly successful but joining here to learn from everyone else.

Of course there are huge advantages to being where I am. The soil is very fertile and almost everything grows. The temperature is a high of 76F (23C) and low of 55F (15C) 365 days a year so it’s always growing season. There aren’t many predators for the chickens (though I did lose 6 girls to a tigrillo last month before I caught him - if you don’t know what they are run a Google search, beautiful but annoying animals).

Anyway that’s the short version of my story. Thanks for allowing me to join the community!!

Welcome from North America , southern part, Kentucky.
Hills and rivers of West KY.
Lots of info here , just gotta look it up.

Tigrillo huh?
1630251723021.png

Nothin like tamale?

:welcome:

Jim

Welcome from Alaska! In the 1980 I spent a lot of time in central and South America and agree that there are some ideal spots to give it a go. I would love to hear more about what you have done!

Another welcome from Alaska.

Only earlier today I was looking at real estate for sale in Peru . The reason being , as my group do not plan to take the covid 19 vaccine , and was looking for possible places to resettle if the government tries to take military action to try to force us to . Commercial airplane transportation here in the United States " I think " has already been closed to the un-vaccinated . I am not sure if ground travel is any longer an option either from country to country . However our prepper vision extends much farther than most . So we now have our own piolet " 18 " years old within our group . Our next hurdle for our escape plan is our own airplane . So as for as being interested in your venture in living in the Andes Mountains " I am very interested " and will be waiting to learn more .

Welcome from Oregon. How long have you been there? Are the locals excepting/ friendly?

I bought the land in 2015 but I would stay I only became serious about turning it into a homestead in 2019. The locals here are very friendly and welcoming but I did need to learn Spanish.

It’s an absolutely beautiful, off-the-grid part of the world to live in. Every morning I peer out my window and see the beautiful mountains and count my blessings!

Welcome from North America , southern part, Kentucky.
Hills and rivers of West KY.
Lots of info here , just gotta look it up.

Tigrillo huh? View attachment 71567
Nothin like tamale?

:welcome:

Jim

Thats him! We caught him and released him a ways away. I’m uploading a pic.

Attachments

• 7CEF283B-AAFD-417B-90AA-0CAF846717E8.jpeg
    7CEF283B-AAFD-417B-90AA-0CAF846717E8.jpeg
    957.9 KB · Views: 45
Welcome from Tennessee. I'd love to hear more about your area. What elevation are you at? Whats your rainfall like?

Since the temperature never changed, there’s only two seasons here, rainy season and not rainy season. From mid September to end of November we get a lot of rain. It’s so much that it can get to be depressing but it’s what keeps these beautiful mountains green!

In the height of rainy season it’s about 8 inches of rain per month and it’s constant.

Welcome from Indiana! Do you see many llamas?

No llamas in these parts but they are here in the country. What we get are: snakes, tigrillos, porcupines (my dog got into a spat with one and let’s just say he won’t do that again), armadillos, lizards and many many varieties of beautiful birds.

No mosquitos up here because the altitude is too high (I’m at 2300 meters - about 7500 feet)

Welcome from New York! I'd enjoy hearing your story - how you got started and what you've done.

Hello and welcome from S.W. Oregon, wife, son and I lived at 8,000'+ in Colorado, not so lucky with winters and we had mosquitos, in Grand Mesa, a favorite fishing area about the same altitude, they were horrible. We've considered going way south, but at our ages, that would be too much of a hard restart, actually moving anywhere else would be a hard restart. There are a lot of bad things going on here in Oregon, but we have decided to meet them as best we can with God's help. It's best to get major changes out of the way when you are young, it's great to hear that you are doing good where you are, by the way pics are always good, post when you can.

Latest posts

Back