Hello from Texas

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melancholy Bear

Friend
Neighbor
Hi everyone,
I'm a suburban dwelling, city raised, middle-aged guy that knows I need to get away. I want to be prepared before the Urban Apocalypse. (I was inspired by Owen Benjamin, if you are familiar with his YouTube stream. Any bears in the house?) We just bought some rural land in Tennessee and will move there sometime in the future, hopefully soon. I will probably be a taker more than a giver, because I have little to no experience. But I'll get there. I've got the guns at least. And I have hard-working farmers in my lineage and blood line. I'm sure I will be asking for plenty of help along the way. We hope to plant an orchard, have a garden, eventually rabbits, chickens, and goats...dog and cat. I will need help with buying anything from a tractor to farm implements, a 4-wheeler, pick-up, tools, etc., with knowing how to plant, you name it. I'm reading up but sometimes having a group to bounce things off of does more than a book. We are so looking forward to having a homestead! Wish us luck, we'll need it.

Welcome Mr. Kalimer. I live on the farm my family came to in the 1880's. As someone who has watched a lot of folks move out of cities for a place in the country the last 30 years or so...

Treating your new neighbors like you would folks in a subdivision or city is not the way to make friends... At the end of the day your best security are folks like me... People who know just about everything that happens out in the country and these days always keep an eye peeled for any strangers with bad intentions. Imho... :)

Glad to have you, and welcome from Missouri. If you have a Question Please ask, the only Dumb Question is the one that isn't asked. If you want to you can join any Conversation, we believe that everyone has something of Value to Contribute, so jump right in.

Welcome from te SE corner of Washington, the state.

Welcome Mr. Kalimer. I live on the farm my family came to in the 1880's. As someone who has watched a lot of folks move out of cities for a place in the country the last 30 years or so...

Treating your new neighbors like you would folks in a subdivision or city is not the way to make friends... At the end of the day your best security are folks like me... People who know just about everything that happens out in the country and these days always keep an eye peeled for any strangers with bad intentions. Imho... :)
Understood, thanks. I've been disappointed how indifferent people in suburbia treat each other.

Is it ok if I call you TK ?

Or anything you want to be called?

Anyway, welcome to HCL,
Good luck on your mission to move to the country and prepping up a homestead.
You will be my neighbor, I'm in KY.
Just up river a bit

:welcome:

Jim
I like TK. I also changed my profile to an alias, Melancholy Bear. I hope to make it to KY.

Understood, thanks. I've been disappointed how indifferent people in suburbia treat each other.

I didn't want to say that too strongly but I'm not an eloquent man, hope you didn't take it that way, just trying to be helpful. I've lived in CA on 3 different occasions, in Virginia as well as NY state, oh, and Chicago. The life styles were different to say the least.

Out here we are the ones who can tell you who's grand kid is hooked on meth, the car they drive as well as who is a born thief by nature.

Sort of funny... A couple a few years back who moved out here had a bumpy start. I happened to chat with them in town one day at the farmers market (where I used to sell). They blamed all their new neighbors for their difficulties, not knowing I was one of them and related many of the others. Lets just say they didn't leave a good impression with me either. :D

All that aside, again, welcome to the forum... feel free to jump right in anywhere. :)

Welcome from Iowa. There are a bunch of people here who can share a lot about growing crops and critters. And there's a lot of knowledge about equipment and techniques for caring for your property. We've got subforums for those things. Feel free to check it out!

:welcome: from Florida.
I agree with Peanut, be careful who you talk to and what you say.
When we moved here it sounded like a war zone.
Hubby at work guns blasting so I call police. He pulls up hears my complaint, spits his tobacco on my shoe and says " a man hassa right to get his aim". :eyeballs:

Welcome from S.W. Oregon, we thank God daily that we don't have neighbors from hell and we all look out for each other,

Viking,
How close to the coast are you? Have you considered Cascadia in your preps?

Welcome to here! I am shamefully late to the welcome party, but my heart is in the right place!

Congrats on your land purchase!

Latest posts

Back