Hello from the road.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Backwoods Ramblers

Friend
Neighbor
As of right now we have left our Chester County TN homestead. After years of building our homestead, putting in cabins, installing composting toilets and planting fruit & pecan trees we are now told our cabins are illegal according to new laws they have enacted. We have sold off everything and we are living full time in our van while we travel the U. S. Looking for a good place to homestead and meeting new people. We are looking forward to enjoying this newly discovered site and conversing with fellow homesteaders /preppers/nomads .

Do you subscribe to "The Mobile Traveller " ?
As a matter of fact I do. Randy is from a small town in South Dakota, and so am I, but not the same small town. He and I actually know some of the same people, although he may not realize that.

Watching YouTube videos about mobile nomads is another topic of interest for me.

I am also one of his subscribers.
I often watch his live streams and most of his videos. His life seems to be coming together now that he has been monetized on YouTube and was given the new to him trailer. He seems to have lived on the edge of having nothing and has had days when he is flat broke, needing propane and food. I know he has MS and is on a very limited SS disability income. I was going to send him a few $ but his only avenue for that was Paypal, and well, I am not going to use Paypal. He appears to have gotten some other donations and is living at a better standard. Maybe hanging out with the crowd he is normally with now has helped him to improve his choices as well. He was at the recent Van Build, where people upgrade their gear, get help on their rigs, and give away the gear they no longer need.

I often watch his live streams and most of his videos. His life seems to be coming together now that he has been monetized on YouTube and was given the new to him trailer. He seems to have lived on the edge of having nothing and has had days when he is flat broke, needing propane and food. I know he has MS and is on a very limited SS disability income. I was going to send him a few $ but his only avenue for that was Paypal, and well, I am not going to use Paypal. He appears to have gotten some other donations and is living at a better standard. Maybe hanging out with the crowd he is normally with now has helped him to improve his choices as well. He was at the recent Van Build, where people upgrade their gear, get help on their rigs, and give away the gear they no longer need.
I was also there volunteering at the carpentry station and had a LOT of can goods and dry goods that I donated to help out.

I was also there volunteering at the carpentry station and had a LOT of can goods and dry goods that I donated to help out.
That is sweet!

Did you see CC have her temper tantrum? Maybe you heard about it through the grapevine. I have seen a few people talk about it, while not talking about it. We know something happened relative to a road, but few have really said what happened!

Caravan Carolyn is someone I have watched for a while. I know that Randy and Carolyn often camp with the same group. Together, but not together. I did see Carolyn in Randy's live stream last night when he made tacos.

Are you camping with a group now? Maybe with TMT and CC as well? I am also subscribed to a few of the people who are in and out of the mobile activities. Neil with Teardrop RV Travels is someone else I am subscribed to.

I also watch Debra Dickinson and Two Meander. Debra has a traumatic brain injury and has had a rough year. She is currently in California and was not at the Van Build.

There are some interesting YouTubers, and then there are some I have tried to watch and it just wasn't interesting to me.

Do you have a YouTube channel? Do you share videos?

Are there some people who are really living close to the edge there? They are living out of cars and vans because that is all they have and can do? It appears that some people are doing better than others and have some nice rigs. I have seen videos of several people who have transformed their cars to live in them.

I am subscribed to Bob Wells, CheapRVliving, as well. He interviews people and gives tours of all kinds of rigs.

Some are living in cars, vans, SUVs pickups with campershells even some on motorcycles with bivy tents. We chose a 3/4 ton van as a compromise of maneuverability, gas mileage and comfort. One of the reasons we are out here is to travel and see the things my wife and I didn't get to see while she was a truck driver and I was an ironworker. We spend 95% of our time outside. What we needed most was a bed out of the weather a way to cook and store food, a place to use the bathroom and a way to bath. An actual rv limits how far out you can go and you spend more money on gas compared to a van build. While at the van build our team built out a Honda CRV for a lady. We took out all but the drivers seat and built a bed. The area of the bed that is where the passenger seat was is hinged. It folds back and the portable toilet is underneath. The rear of the bed reclines or folds up to access storage. It was neat. We also built out a Dodge caravan with a slat bed and closet for a lady Marine vet that was cool.

Hello from the S.W. corner of Oregon, so sorry to hear of your troubles, I hope you find a good place, the only good area in California is in the northern portion but with all their rotten laws and leadership you would do well to get your family totally out of that state and as it is Oregon is not a whole lot better. A lot of people are going to Idaho, out neighbors on the west side moved to the base of Idaho's panhandle, higher elevation than here with a lot more snow and cold but Idaho has been rated highly for survivalists to set up homesteads.

Last edited:
As of right now we have left our Chester County TN homestead. ...told our cabins are illegal according to new laws they have enacted....

Welcome! I'd would have thought your property would have been "grandfathered" so the new laws wouldn't have pertained. But I'm not a lawyer. Welcome again.

I am from east TN and I am also curious of what laws were changed/enacted that made your cabins illegal.

Welcome to the forum and stay safe out there on the road, good luck finding a new place to settle if that is what you decide!

Latest posts

Back