Hello from Virginia!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Soul

Friend
Neighbor
Hello!

GrizzlyetteAdams referred me. <3 Thank you, Grizzlyette!

I am retired, my husband is recently retired, and we live on a tributary to the Chesapeake Bay, deep in a rural area. (Hardiness zone 7b.)

We garden, I can (pressure and water bath) dehydrate, and freeze to preserve food.

We just recently developed raised bed gardens on this property, on the tail end of the project in which we purchased a larger propane tank (propane is on sale) and had it buried. We had a huge mound of dirt in the yard, sooo...

We also still maintain a large container garden.

Right now, in the raised beds and containers, we have:

Three Sisters planting of Silver Queen corn, yellow straight neck squash, string beans bush, string beans pole
Cantaloupe
Lima beans
Cucumbers
Lettuces, a mixed variety
Carrots, a mixed variety
Spinach, I forget which variety (that is finishing up, obvs.)
Beets, mostly Detroit red but I think at least one other variety
Peppers, sweet bells including mixed color bells and Purple Beauty bells
Hot yellow Hungarian wax peppers
Jalapenos
Tomatoes, Beefsteak, Roma, Big Boy and Tiny Tim cherry tomatoes
Sweet potatoes, we just planted Georgia Jet slips and we have Beauregard slips on deck for when the cool weather veggies vacate the beds and containers
Snow peas, peas, sugar snap peas in containers that are finishing up

This year's garden was grown completely from seed, by us. I'm particularly happy to have some confidence in this area now. :)

We crab, we do not yet fish so much (most of our native fish are small and bony unless one goes out into the Bay and/or goes out during rock fish season.)

We do not yet hunt but Husband shoots trap (and he's darned good at it.) (Me, not so much. You've heard the saying, "If it flies, it dies?" Well, with me, if it flies, it flies. It just keeps right on flying...)
I shoot pistol with a ladies' group and on my own (and of course, with Husband.) (I'm ok enough at that.) (As long as it's not flying.)

We tinker with back up solar power (small portable system) and maintain a back up generator ourselves. In the winter we heat primarily with a Blaze King Princess CAT stove, which we also maintain (chimney cleaning, stove pipe cleaning, CAT vacuuming) ourselves. Truth in advertising: we are lucky to be able to purchase our wood felled, cut and split at a reasonable price. Our provider delivers and dumps- we stack to season and eventually haul to the house. There's a bit of effort on our part but most of the hard work is bought and paid for- again, we are fortunate. :) :) (IN THE SUMMER I RUN THE AIR CONDITIONER. 'NUFF SAID.) (GOD BLESS MR. CARRIER.)

I knit, sometimes I crochet (although I am a bit fickle about both.) Years ago I sewed prolifically but not so much now- it's cheaper for me to buy clothes than to make them, and bolt fabric ain't what it used to be. =(

We've also brewed and fermented and bottle conditioned our own beer, and I've made homemade fruit wines. We aren't fermenting anything at the moment; we sold our 5 gallon kits because it was just too much beer and wine. We are considering investigating smaller batch kits.

During quarantine we purchased a Weber kettle grill, an S&S offset insert with a water receptacle, a Cave Tools wood chip box and wood chips, a new fangled 1 million probe thermometer with a remote read out so we aren't opening the grill until necessary, AND A DRIP PAN OMG WHY DIDN'T WE BUY THAT WITH THE GRILL? WE LEARNED OUR LESSON SOON ENOUGH! And then we learned to SMOKE OUR OWN PORK BUTTS TO MAKE PULLED PORK BBQ. WE ARE HOOKED. WE HAVE CREATED OUR OWN MONSTERS OUT OF OURSELVES. Our first attempt was with 2 HUGE pork butts, about 14 lbs. each. We surprised ourselves with beginner's luck. Beautiful mahogany bark, moist tender meat inside, AND IT PULLED! It came off the grill/smoker at 5:30 am after the second overnight. Sunrise found us EATING PULLED PORK WITH OUR BARE HANDS, BY THE HANDFULS, OMG. :) :) There's two briskets in the fridge right now waiting to go into the kettle grill/smoker. :) :)

Next up: I want to learn how to make sushi at home. We have access to crab meat, so why not? :)

So that's us... :) :)

Hello, Grizzlyette, thank you again for inviting us! <3

Hello, Everyone! :) :)

Welcome to the forum, @Old Soul
We've got a subforum or thread for just about everything you posted!
:welcome::lil guy:

Thank you so much for the welcome, Patchouli!

I listed our bona fides, well I started listing them anyway, to invite exactly the information and feedback you provided, and any feedback and comments and helpful suggestions from other members.

And then I kept listing them because it was kinda fun, because I/we take joy in all of these things, and we enjoy exchanges with others who enjoy them too. :)

I do NOT in any way intend to present myself or us as masters of any of these skill sets. I AM NOT. They call it 'practice' for a good reason! :) Is there a subforum here for 'Things That Didn't Work Out As Planned'? LOL. If not, I may need to start one. :D

Thank you again for your welcome!

Ok, it sounds like you could be the poster child for this forum.

It does my heart good to see someone doing the things you described. I know you have been working to get to this point for a long time. You didn't get to where you are overnight.

So please don't be bashful , just join in any of the topics , your input will be welcomed...as you are welcomed .

:welcome:

Jim

You are welcome
Yes'm, the Things that didn't work out as planned are everywhere here, usually listed as something else. haha
You can actually post it anywhere you like and if the mods or admins think it should go somewhere else, they will put it there.
Some of us are a little more personal with our info, some don't care, and etc.
Comment wherever you want. Virginia is a fine place to hail from.
The Gardening 2020 thread gets lots of participation from so many.
Looking forward to hearing more from you.

So glad you made it to here, Old Soul!

Y'all! Old Soul is like a sister from another mother! When I grow up, I wanna be just like her, lol. Well, don't hold your breath or anything, because it ain't likely that I'll do something stupid like actually grow up, lol. What a boring life that would be...

Hee hee... looks like I am luring some of my favorite posters to here, one by one...

I've always been a good porch monkey, and Angie is our official porch junkie...

OK, that would be the start of a good blues song...or a nice country tune...or maybe rock and roll.

By the way, we have some rip-roaring good music threads here, too.

I'll hunt them up for you! BRB

Last edited:
Welcome from Bama... spent some time up that way... Navy back in the day. I used to farm, a younger generation runs the cattle operation so I get to grumble about how they are doing it wrong... Spend a lot of time hunting wild medicinal plants, and making medicines, favorite hobby.

Lots of varied interests here, jump right in where ever you want.

Welcome from Eastern Missouri. Good to have you with us. Griz recommended the site to me as well, and I have not been disappointed. I think you will enjoy it here.

external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg

So glad you made it to here, Old Soul!

Y'all! Old Soul is like a sister from another mother! When I grow up, I wanna be just like her, lol. Well, don't hold your breath or anything, because it ain't likely that I'll do something stupid like actually grow up, lol. What a boring life that would be...

Hee hee... looks like I am luring some of my favorite posters to here, one by one...

We will be glad to have more of your friends. There's room here for a lot more friends to come be part of the family.

Last edited:
Welcome from Bama... spent some time up that way... Navy back in the day. I used to farm, a younger generation runs the cattle operation so I get to grumble about how they are doing it wrong... Spend a lot of time hunting wild medicinal plants, and making medicines, favorite hobby.

Lots of varied interests here, jump right in where ever you want.

Ooooh, you would have *loved* this- yesterday my husband called out to me to come quick and see! I ran to the window where he was-

and there was a hovercraft full of military personnel going down the river toward the Bay!

I wondered out loud where they were out of, because there are no military installations in this immediate area.

Husband speculated that they were likely out of Little Creek Amphib. If so, that was a long ride- especially round trip.

We often see military aircraft of all types practicing in our area. They could be out of Norfolk, Oceana or Patuxent. I'm not in the know about which base hosts what aircraft, so I can't hazard a guess. We see the typical fighter/bombers, Warthogs, various military helicopters.

I was assigned to Little Creek for special training several different times over the course of 4 years, mostly for small arms training. Actually was assigned to several of the area bases for temporary duty at one time or another. I was at NOB for 90% of my stay... lived in VA Beach. I headed to the Blue Ridge Parkway any time I had a few days off... I love the mountains, strange I ended up in the navy, go figure... :rolleyes:

I never crossed paths with the air squadrons to speak of... except once for a class at Oceana naval air station.

Hello and welcome from a free area of Oregon in the S.W. corner, at 77 and 73 we're pretty much "Old Souls" ourselves, if it wasn't for our dear friends just down the road, we wouldn't have a nice garden growing and she is legally blind, we have a hard time considering that she is because of all the things she can do.

Latest posts

Back