Hello from Washington state

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a hospital in Ballard, WA. It is now part of the Swedish hospital corporation.
I repaired x-ray equipment in Ballard. Nice hospital.
Not just a hospital, it's also a town or city. I try to stay in the sound end as much as possible and away from anything remotely 'Seattle'

Just trying to remember the area. I serviced a catscan at Ballard decades ago, only there a few weeks that trip. But Ballard I'll never forget. One evening I went in to work on the CT. Evidently a meth addict lost his mind in the ER while I worked and took a hostage. When I start to leave the building half the cops in Seattle, including swat, were in the parking lot.

That many cops show up... someone is getting questioned!!!!

And I was the guy leaving the building, who didn't work for the hospital, had a little cart stacked with very expensive electronic test equipment and a California drivers licence.

Guess who got questioned?
biggrin.gif

Last edited:
Just trying to remember the area. I serviced a catscan at Ballard decades ago, only there a few weeks that trip. But Ballard I'll never forget. One evening I went in to work on the CT. Evidently a meth addict lost his mind in the ER while I worked and took a hostage. When I start to leave the building half the cops in Seattle, including swat, were in the parking lot.

That many cops show up... someone is getting questioned!!!!

And I was the guy leaving the building, who didn't work for the hospital, had a little cart stacked with very expensive electronic test equipment and a California drivers licence.

Guess who got questioned? View attachment 76163

Wow, sorry you had such an experience, but that would leave quite the life long impression.

Now just imagine a similar scenario, but only 1 or 2 cops showing up.......if that. Such as it is with the defunding, new laws and state mandates that many LEO's have quit

Wow, sorry you had such an experience, but that would leave quite the life long impression.

Now just imagine a similar scenario, but only 1 or 2 cops showing up.......if that. Such as it is with the defunding, new laws and state mandates that many LEO's have quit

I've always been pro-cop, a few in my family. The cops would have been remiss not to speak with me that night. So they delayed my dinner! I was going to a restaurant anyway.

In those years there weren't many guys servicing ct's and mri's. We worked for the manufacturers, not the hospitals. So we were always in a grey area. It was common to service ct's etc in 3 or 4 states. So there were small problems occasionally. Looking like a professional went a long way in resolving identity issues.

Funny, my biggest problems came from security guards. They sometimes couldn't comprehend someone who didn't work for the hospital... yet had access to anyone or anything I wished, all hours of the night or day. This did not compute in their world. 🤪

I started servicing CT scanners in 1982. The first one I worked on was an EMI Mark1 that had been upgraded so the water bag wasn't used.
I had some interesting encounters with hospital security so I got into the habit of having the Radiology manager inform the security office I was working late.
I got real interesting when I stared working on mobile systems in the middle of the night in some back parking lot.

We moved from Black Diamond after 26 years and back to the sane side.
I can't believe I used to commute to downtown Seattle every day.
Oh yeah, Flaming Geyser area, I'm sure you know why it's called Black Diamond, I used to fish on the Green River for steelhead, had one follow my lure but never caught a steelhead, I had a friend that told me about the Green River, every time I saw him he'd tell me of the steelhead he caught out of that river, finally had to tell him not to rub it in. Back in the 60's I've seen that river, bank to bank filled with salmon going up to spawn, how they ever made it that far is amazing, considering that fish biologists said there was no oxygen in the river from Puget Sound on up a ways and there was a slaughter house that dumped bad stuff into the river way up toward Black Diamond, oh yeah Black Diamond was called so because of the presence of Anthracite Coal, as I walked along the river I would see layers of coal

Last edited:
Not just a hospital, it's also a town or city. I try to stay in the sound end as much as possible and away from anything remotely 'Seattle'
When I lived in Seattle a commercial fisherman had his fishing boat tied up at a dock in
Ballard, I worked for him for a few weeks when he went out on the ocean from LaPush to fish for halibut, he told me he couldn't get help that didn't feed the crabs, (sea sickness), we only caught one 40 pound halibut, fishing was lousy, we ended up eating the bait, herring, which is boney but tastes good, this was in the early 1960's. My friend came from Norway and if you remember Pop Eye's forearms, they were big, my friends arms were the same way from handling long fish lines with hooks every six feet or so, he used to pull lines that were full of fish, all by hand. Even in his 70's he was still muscular. It was an interesting experience, being on a 33' fishing boat sitting on top of 30' waves, also seeing a huge gray whale swimming by, no more than 50' away.

When I was in high school, I went on a chartered salmon fishing trip out of Westport, twice. with my mother and her coworkers. First time was on a small boat with maybe 10 or 15 people on it. There was no inside seating, other than the captain at the wheel. There was a table of sorts with benches (all one piece) for maybe 4 to 6 people to sit. When we were going out over the sandbar at 4am and hit some of those waves, that table with benches and everyone sitting on it came loose and slid back. It was the engine cover I guess. They did manage to get it back into place and fastened, but it was all a pretty crazy ride. I and some others had to stand up the whole time and hang on tight for dear life. Pretty crazy when you look out and only see a wall of water all around you and the very next minute you look, and can't see water anywhere (we were on top of the same wave we were just under). Then once you get out to sea, it all calmed down other than the normal gentle rocking. Never did see a whale (nor have I ever seen one) or anything, but did get our limit of salmon.

Second trip, we were on a much bigger boat, but still got tossed around like a cork in a whirlpool. That ride out is crazy and for the birds, or fish, but not me thank you. Luckily I never got sick, and followed Moms advice......eat something and take a shot of whiskey to calm your nerves. Seemed to work, but not something I'll do again. Then there's always getting your land legs back from having sea legs. Now that was funny..

Little boats get tossed everywhere. I wouldn't do it with rough seas. The smallest boat I've gone to sea on was 50ft. Used to go out to the Santa Cruz islands fishing (CA coast). Sea's were never bad, 7 or 8 ft swells.

Lots of folks don't care for their first experience going to sea, most because it's on a small boat. I've been seasick a couple times. Once in the Tyrrhenian Sea (always liked that name 😂 ). I was a bit hung over.

Funny, had a buddy on a navy destroyer I was stationed on. All he had to hear was the announcement "Underway, Shift Colors" and he was instantly seasick! It was all in his head! Everyone teased him but he'd still get sick and hug the throne. We'd still be in the harbor! 😂

(when the last mooring line of a navy ship is dropped, it is now legally "underway" and the US flag must be shifted from the stern of the ship to the foremast)

Last edited:
Little boats get tossed everywhere. I wouldn't do it with rough seas. The smallest boat I've gone to sea on was 50ft. Used to go out to the Santa Cruz islands fishing (CA coast). Sea's were never bad, 7 or 8 ft swells.

Lots of folks don't care for their first experience going to sea, most because it's on a small boat. Funny, had a buddy on a navy destroyer I was stationed on. All he had to hear was the announcement "Underway, Shift Colors" and he was instantly seasick! It was all in his head! Everyone teased him but he'd still get sick and hug the throne. We'd still be in the harbor! 😂

I too have sea sick a couple times. Once in the Tyrrhenian Sea (always liked that name 😂 ). I was a bit hung over.

(when the last mooring line of a navy ship is dropped, it is now legally "underway" and the flag must be shifted from the stern of the ship to the foremast)

I've never been much for being in or on the water, but the things you agree to when you're young & dumb can make a lasting impression. Kind of the same with heights or flying. Done it a few times, but would rather not. Terra firma, thank you very much.

I would imagine a hangover would make anyone sea sick, Such as it is with sailors, yes? But that's funny about your friend getting sick while still in the harbor....well, probably not funny for him though.

I have gone across the Columbia River bar in a 17 foot open bow boat. It was a rough ride both ways but the worst thing was our big motor wouldn't start on the return trip because we got bad gas the day before. It took us 8 hours to get back to the boat launch in Ilwaco. The Coast Guard checked on us a couple times but we were making headway so they left us alone.
I lived about 5 miles from Flaming Geyser State Park. I also fished the Green River and caught no steelhead but I did catch a lot of Whitefish.

But that's funny about your friend getting sick while still in the harbor....well, probably not funny for him though.

Poor guy, he got a little better with time but that first year on a sea going warship was tough. First time we crossed the Atlantic he didn't get out of bed for 3 days. The guys who mopped the berthing compartment were angry because he was hogging the mop bucket. 🤪

Oh! Saltine crackers are the time honored treatment for seasickness. Doesn't do anything for nausea but replaces some electrolytes and it's something mild on your stomach.

I'd usually get bad headaches instead of nausea. That's fairly common, many times it's the first indication someone is getting seasick. Pop an aspirin and I was fine. But it had to be very big seas before I'd get the headache..

Last edited:
Poor guy, he got a little better with time but that first year on a sea going warship was tough. First time we crossed the Atlantic he didn't get out of bed for 3 days. The guys who mopped the berthing compartment were angry because he was hogging the mop bucket. 🤪

Oh! Saltine crackers are the time honored treatment for seasickness. Doesn't do anything for nausea but replaces some electrolytes and it's something mild on your stomach.

I'd usually get bad headaches instead of nausea. That's fairly common, many times it's the first indication someone is getting seasick. Pop an aspirin and I was fine. But it had to be very big seas before I'd get the headache..
My dad, who spent many years on ocean going vessels, mentioned Saltine crackers and the juice of fresh lemons. The closest I ever got to being seasick was out fishing in the Straits of Juan De Luca where the waves of the ocean and easterly winds would cause huge swells, I asked to run the outboard and leaned my head against the engine. On a positive note, at 9 years of age, I caught my first Silver salmon, a beautiful 16 pound fish, that alone helped me overcome seasickness. Those swells were so high that other fishing boats would disappear in the low areas between the swells.

I have gone across the Columbia River bar in a 17 foot open bow boat. It was a rough ride both ways but the worst thing was our big motor wouldn't start on the return trip because we got bad gas the day before. It took us 8 hours to get back to the boat launch in Ilwaco. The Coast Guard checked on us a couple times but we were making headway so they left us alone.
I lived about 5 miles from Flaming Geyser State Park. I also fished the Green River and caught no steelhead but I did catch a lot of Whitefish.
I don't remember if I ever caught any Whitefish, probably did because I've caught a lot of them over the years, but I did catch a fair sized Cutthroat trout. The largest Whitefish I ever caught was up in British Columbia on the Okanogan River. Whitefish cook out pretty dry and I imagine they'd be good smoked. One type of fish I frequently caught when fishing for steelhead was suckers. I never caught a lot of good fish until I moved to Colorado, I really aced out in the lakes and streams there.

I grew up not far from there. in Auburn

My mom always offered crackers for an upset tummy, or dry bread and I still do anytime anyone has a queasy stomach

Latest posts

Back