Hello!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breck

Super Friend
Neighbor
Glad to be here! I live in the Northeast near a major city. I hope to move to a more serene and homesteading friendly place in another part of the clountry, but I am here for the time being. In the meantime, I am looking for texts that may come in handy during an emergency situation. I found these four on Amazon. Can anyone vouch for these? If not, does anyone have a better suggestion?

1. Prepper's Long-Term Survival Guide: Food, Shelter, Security, Off... by Jim Cobb

2. When the Grid Goes Down: Disaster Preparations and Survival Gear... by Tony Nester

3. The Prepper's Water Survival Guide: Harvest, Treat, and Store Yo... by Daisy Luther

4. Bushcraft 101: A Field Guide to the Art of Wilderness Survival by Dave Canterbury

Also, I have a small yard and want to do my own homestead/survival garden mainly for practice and fun with family. Can anyone recommend any books, DVDs or plans for beginners?
Thank you in advance for any suggestions you may have!

Welcome. My uncle was the smartest man I ever met, he said that any book that taught you one or two new ideas was worth the time to read. Some books will teach you a little, other books will teach you a lot, it is the total knowledge base that matters. Enjoy the ride.

Hello and welcome from S.W. Oregon, it's always good to have a lot of "Hoe To" book on hand, I know that I have learned how to do concrete, electrical, carpentry, deck work from books we've bought over the years, it's always good to have them on hand for future projects, it's also very good to pick the brains of people that have done things, like many here on this site. The main thing I can tell you outside of things I've learned in books is the extreme importance of making sure that any property you are looking to buy has adequate water.

Welcome from Bama, I have a decent library as well.

I’d recommend older books for accurate, first hand information. Some of my best books were written decades ago, a few from the 1950’s. Once the “prepper craz” started after 2009/2010 a lot of people tried to cash in and write books. Some great books have been written since that time but I do my research into the author etc. before buying.

A good place to start… The Survival Blog by James Wesley Rawles, he started his blog in 2005. SurvivalBlog There are 1000’s of high quality articles written on any prepping topic imaginable. Check the archive section for older articles. Mr. Rawles also has a book, pretty good, glad I bought a copy.

Also at the survival blog... check under resources. It has a long list of very fine books for dealing with just about any kind of emergency.

Here is another good starting book… The “Encyclopedia of Country Living” by Carla Emory, first published in 1994. She’s deceased now but the book is still in print. Also, check yard sales for the “Foxfire” books, I think there were 12+ books in the series, buy any you find… great books on primitive living skills.

Last edited:
Welcome from Bama, I have a decent library as well.

... James Wesley Rawles, ...
Didn't he invent the acronym TEOTWAWKI ?

20210710_215045.jpg

I read his book as well.

Ben

I like his site for the rock solid info that's been added since it started. It's all the basics, everything has been covered. Nothing really changed when the "prepper shows" came along and all that noise.

Just using the information on the website the average person can get their family prepared for basic emergencies. Add a few books and gear that has been written about and the average person could handle major emergencies... I always thought of the "Survival Blog" as a one-stop shop for folks starting out.

Welcome to this forum from, "The Great State of Alaska".

I love books........but I have very-very serious issues with so-called "Preppers" and their reading of books.

A very warm welcome from Alaska!

Welcome from Eastern Missouri. I have read Rawles book, and keep it in my prepper library. I highly recommend it. Here is a website I would also recommend. The focus is more Urban Prepping, but he covers a wide range of topics, and has a pretty extensive body of work. Good to nave you with us.

Hello and welcome.
I can only vouch for #4

Glad to be here! I live in the Northeast near a major city. I hope to move to a more serene and homesteading friendly place in another part of the clountry, but I am here for the time being. In the meantime, I am looking for texts that may come in handy during an emergency situation. I found these four on Amazon. Can anyone vouch for these? If not, does anyone have a better suggestion?

1. Prepper's Long-Term Survival Guide: Food, Shelter, Security, Off... by Jim Cobb

2. When the Grid Goes Down: Disaster Preparations and Survival Gear... by Tony Nester

3. The Prepper's Water Survival Guide: Harvest, Treat, and Store Yo... by Daisy Luther

4. Bushcraft 101: A Field Guide to the Art of Wilderness Survival by Dave Canterbury

Also, I have a small yard and want to do my own homestead/survival garden mainly for practice and fun with family. Can anyone recommend any books, DVDs or plans for beginners?
Thank you in advance for any suggestions you may have!

Welcome from Iowa!

I can recommend one book by Cody Lundin, "98.6 - The Art of Keeping Your Ass Alive". It covers short term survival in emergency situations and does so quite thoroughly. The style of writing isn't everyone's cup of tea, but the info is very good, and surprisingly simple. He has another called "When All Hell Breaks Loose" that is geared toward major disaster situations like Hurricanes or urban unrest. When I can find it I'll post a review...

Welcome from WA state (also said rather embarrassingly.) There are actually a few threads on books/resources. You can do a search of: Herbs books or meat processing books etc. to help get ideas wherever you have holes in your library.

Back