HELP! Any Mechanics Around?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
We blew a head casket last year in our old truck.4 cylinder Nissan XL. [water pump went out/]
Hubby has been hitting it now and then but its all back together and won't fire.

New valves, pistons, total rebuild.
Checked fuel lines ,its getting fuel,plugs,wires all new.

The first thing I'd do is to make sure you are getting spark. Next I'd make sure the plug wires are correct. Next the timing. I'm not much of a mechanic but that's a start. He probably has done all this. How long has the gas been sitting and was it stabilised?

The first thing I'd do is to make sure you are getting spark. Next I'd make sure the plug wires are correct. Next the timing. I'm not much of a mechanic but that's a start. He probably has done all this. How long has the gas been sitting and was it stabilised?

Car we got this old truck for $600 so didn't want to buy another one since most of it worked for awhile. Plus price of new vehicles now is out of site.

I'd be very careful if you're going to try and start it. If your timing is off and you crank it over, all kinds of bad things can happen which can destroy the engine. When a piston comes up, the valves for that cylinder need to be closed. If the timing is off, that may not be the case. In many engines, that means cylinder hits valve(s) and that will destroy either or both.
When he cranked it over, did it make any banging noises or otherwise?

I'd be very careful if you're going to try and start it. If your timing is off and you crank it over, all kinds of bad things can happen which can destroy the engine. When a piston comes up, the valves for that cylinder need to be closed. If the timing is off, that may not be the case. In many engines, that means cylinder hits valve(s) and that will destroy either or both.
When he cranked it over, did it make any banging noises or otherwise?

No banging and thanks for the warning Zoom. :ghostly:I'll relay that to him! Reminds me also checked the relays.

Last edited:
Zoom I went out and told him not to keep rurning it over till he gets a timing light.

He tried sprayingstarter fuel in carb but that didn't work.Maybe thats a good thing since could damage pistons.

If the starting fluid didn't do anything, that leans things more toward it being electrical.

I'd have him check youtube. Search for "car won't start after timing belt replaced". I didn't look at any videos but they may tell you some tricks (like checking timing without turning it over).

Does he have a compression gauge? Not sure but I'd think there would be little or no compression of the timing was off too much.

If the starting fluid didn't do anything, that leans things more toward it being electrical.

I'd have him check youtube. Search for "car won't start after timing belt replaced". I didn't look at any videos but they may tell you some tricks (like checking timing without turning it over).

Does he have a compression gauge? Not sure but I'd think there would be little or no compression of the timing was off too much.

He said he checked it but didn't get s good reading on it. So he will do it again. think he needs a timing light.

Make sure the distributor is not off a few teeth. Before anything else I would first check for spark. If you have an old plug around attach it to a plug wire then lay it on the engine so it grounds then look for spark as you crank it over.

If it does not spark then it is something with the cap, plug wires or coil.

If it does spark then you have an issue with fuel or timing.

But since he used starting fluid I am leaning towards something with the spark. Even if timing was off it should do something.

Forgot, if it attempts to fire and does not start, if you get a backfire through the exhaust or carburetor it is timing.

Yes he has a compression gauge.He just told me he only checked number one and had no reading on that one.Not checked it again.It came up zero.

Need to know the specific engine and exactly what was done.

Hi this is Meerkats husband.
Its 1986 Nissa d 21 with 240000 miles on it. blew head gasket when water pump went out. I changed pump cranked it and water went in oil. So I tore it down and replace pistons rings and bearings and gaskets and now won't start. Makes no noise when turning over and had no compression on number one plug. I was careful when rebuilding to not get out of time by cutting a board and placing it under timing chain but guess it still could have jumped a link or two.Not sure . Thanks in advance for help I really appreciate it.

Make sure the distributor is not off a few teeth. Before anything else I would first check for spark. If you have an old plug around attach it to a plug wire then lay it on the engine so it grounds then look for spark as you crank it over.

But since he used starting fluid I am leaning towards something with the spark. Even if timing was off it should do something.

Forgot, if it attempts to fire and does not start, if you get a backfire through the exhaust or carburetor it is timing.

Cnsper, he said he will try to spark plug thing and get back to yall.

Hubby will come on and talk to yall now.
If it is an overhead cam engine and he had the head off, and it whines when it spins over it's most likely that the timing belt has the cam out of time.
There is a secret way to check that the cam is in time or not without pulling the timing cover off.
You can also use it to time a camshaft on engines when you can't see the mark on the crank pulley.
(Not that I know anything about that) :rolleyes:
If it's OHC engine and he needs it, let me know.

Last edited:

He just came in said ' ts got spark '.

I have never seen an engine that turns over with zero compression.

There are videos about replacing the timing chain. All the marks need to be lined up when you put it back together.

I dont know that engine but if you have the valve cover off you should see the valves moving. If you do then it is a timing issue. If not then either the chain is bad or you have a sprocket loose. Like no woodruff key on the shaft.

He just came in said ' ts got spark '.
You ruled out spark and because of the starting fluid you can rule out fuel. That leaves timing.

It sounds like it is 180 degrees out of time. If he had pulled the distributor out it probably got put back in that way.

If it is an overhead cam engine and he had the head off, and it whines when it spins over it's most likely that the timing belt has the cam out of time.
There is a secret way to make sure the cam is in time or not without pulling the timing cover off.
You can also use it to time a camshaft on engines when you can't see the mark on the crank pulley.
(Not that I know anything about that) :rolleyes:
If it's OHC engine and he needs it, let me know.

SuperV will have to ask him but I think it has chain,not belt.

Makes no noise when turning over and had no compression on number one plug. I was careful when rebuilding to not get out of time by cutting a board and placing it under timing chain but guess it still could have jumped a link or two.

In regards to compression, did you stagger the rings on the pistons like you should?

IF you did, and you are thinking the timing is close I would try a squirt or two of motor oil into the cylinder you checked for compression and try it again. Let the engine turn over at least 3-4 times and record the highest reading if you get one, if the battery is low hook up a battery charger to it when you spin it over..

IF you don't get a reading try another cylinder.

IF you get no reading on the other cylinder my guess would be that the timing events are off, and both valves are not closing when they should to allow the cylinder to build pressure . You may have to recheck the timing chain set.

Edit: Is it a dual overhead cam engine?

In regards to compression, did you stagger the rings on the pistons like you should?

IF you did, and you are thinking the timing is close I would try a squirt or two of motor oil into the cylinder you checked for compression and try it again. Let the engine turn over at least 3-4 times and record the highest reading if you get one, if the battery is low hook up a battery charger to it when you spin it over..

IF you don't get a reading try another cylinder.

IF you get no reading on the other cylinder my guess would be that the timing events are off, and both valves are not closing when they should to allow the cylinder to build pressure . You may have to recheck the timing chain set.

Edit: Is it a dual overhead cam engine?

He said' yes he staggered the rings. Will do compression check with oil.

You ruled out spark and because of the starting fluid you can rule out fuel. That leaves timing.

It sounds like it is 180 degrees out of time. If he had pulled the distributor out it probably got put back in that way.

He didn't pull disrributor out but had to loose cam fro mtiming vhain so maybe thats where it jumped?

Will do compression check with oil.

Just a couple squirts will do, if no compression, do the same on another cylinder to get a better picture of what's going on.

Latest posts

Back