HELP! Any Mechanics Around?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a car for the evil-x just before she threw me and my son out (a blessing mind you). It would not start after a rain storm. Opening the hood at twilight revealed a wordeful lighting storm.

Ben
Again, no mechanic here, but that sounds scary!

Was the fuel filter full of crap? Sometimes when a vehicle has been sitting for a while they will suck up stuff (water, rust, ... ) from the bottom of the tank, clogging the fuel filter and often the lines upstream. You might consider checking for fuel pressure at the fuel rail on the engine. There is a shrader valve
(like a tire valve) there.

90-96 For the 5.0L, 5.8L and 7.5L EFI engines, the in-tank mounted high pressure fuel pump is capable of supplying 105 liters (27.7 gallons) of fuel per hour at a working pressure of 270.0 kPa (39 psi). For the 4.9L EFI engine, the pump can supply 90 liters (23.7 gallons) per hour at 380 kPa (55 psi). The pump has an internal pressure relief valve to provide overpressure protection in the event the fuel flow becomes restricted. Overpressure is restricted to 850 kPa (123 psi)...

You might be able to hear if the in-tank fuel pump is working when the ignition is first turned on.....
Fair enough you are looking at the fuel while I am looking for the spark.

Please keep us updated.

Ben

Was the fuel filter full of crap? Sometimes when a vehicle has been sitting for a while they will suck up stuff (water, rust, ... ) from the bottom of the tank, clogging the fuel filter and often the lines upstream. You might consider checking for fuel pressure at the fuel rail on the engine. There is a shrader valve
(like a tire valve) there.

90-96 For the 5.0L, 5.8L and 7.5L EFI engines, the in-tank mounted high pressure fuel pump is capable of supplying 105 liters (27.7 gallons) of fuel per hour at a working pressure of 270.0 kPa (39 psi). For the 4.9L EFI engine, the pump can supply 90 liters (23.7 gallons) per hour at 380 kPa (55 psi). The pump has an internal pressure relief valve to provide overpressure protection in the event the fuel flow becomes restricted. Overpressure is restricted to 850 kPa (123 psi)...

You might be able to hear if the in-tank fuel pump is working when the ignition is first turned on.....
Good point.

Ben

Welp, easy test. Dump a bit of fuel into the intake. Could also use ether although I am not a fan. If it fires your issue is fuel. If not, its spark.

a spark tester is a good investment, they don't cost much,and are very handy, most of them have a largish gator clamp to provide a good ground and also have an easily adjustable gap Lisle 50850 - Spark Tester - Walmart.com . also you can pop the distributor cap open and spray WD-40 in to displace moisture, actual WD-40, not just spray lube. If there was pressure in the line when the filter was removed, chances are the fuel pump is working.

Latest posts

Back